Chapter 22

Cinderella

 

                The remainder of the week had flown by and it was Friday afternoon. Upon leaving work, Jayne gave Jenna a ride back to her apartment so they could get ready for the radio concert that night which featured U-Kiss.

                “Are we going to take your car to the concert tonight?” Jenna asked as Jayne unlocked the door to her apartment.

                “No, I have money for cab fare. I can’t even imagine how far we would have to walk to get to the concert based on where we would have to park.” Jayne said as they removed their shoes at the entrance and made their way into her bedroom. Jenna set her outfit on the bed while Jayne went into her walk-in closet to grab the outfit she’d be wearing that night. True to Jenna’s word, both of them did go clothes shopping Wednesday evening. Jayne motioned for Jenna to follow her and both girls went into the bathroom to freshen up their makeup before changing. “This isn’t the first time that you’ve gone to a concert since you’ve been in Korea, is it?” Jayne asked as they both washed their faces to remove their old makeup.

                “No, I’ve been to a few.” Jenna said as she patted her face dry with a towel. They made small talk while they applied makeup on each other.

                “So, I was figuring we should grab dinner before we leave since we got some time to spare. I didn’t want to make anything too heavy, so how does ramen sound?” Jayne asked after the finishing touches were done.

                “Yeah, that sounds good. We can wait to get changed until right before we leave.” Jenna said as they both headed to the kitchen to prepare their dinner.

***

                “So, are you ready for tonight?” Hoon asked Soohyun as they were relaxing in their apartment before the company van would be picking them up within the hour for their radio concert performance.

                “I’m a bit nervous to be honest. How about you? You feel good about tonight?” Soohyun asked as Dongho walked in to the living room and sat on the couch, absorbed with something on his cell phone.

                “Well you know all of us get a little nervous before we go out on stage, but once we get out there and perform we go off the energy from the audience. Besides, we won’t be the only act tonight, so it takes the pressure off of us. We’re only doing three to four songs, right?” Hoon asked as Soohyun nodded. “It shouldn’t be a big deal, then. Besides, how many hours did we spend practicing our dance moves? I’m surprised I can still move.” Hoon said as Soohyun laughed.

                “Yeah, you’re right. I guess because we’ll be doing my song as the last part of the performance and this will be the first time our KissMes will be hearing it. Plus, we just started working on the dance for that earlier this week.” Soohyun said.

                “Soo, you worry too much. Seriously, just relax. I don’t want your nervousness rubbing off on me.” Dongho spoke up, not even looking up from his phone.

                “See, even our maknae knows what he’s talking about!” Hoon said as Soohyun threw up his hands in surrender.

                “Okay, okay. I get your point. I’m gonna text the others and see what they’re up to. I’ll be back in a few.” Soohyun said as he made his way to his bedroom to have some privacy.

***

                Jayne had just finished serving the ramen in the bowls for her and Jenna when she heard her phone going off in the other room. Turning off the stove, she put down the pot and grabbed her phone off the coffee table.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello)?” Jayne answered as she sat on the couch and brought up her knees to sit criss-crossed.

                “Annyeong Haseyo (Hello), Jayne. I was just calling to see how things were going before we see each other later on.” Soohyun said as Jayne grinned.

                “They’re going great. Jenna’s over at my apartment and we’re grabbing dinner right now before we leave in a little bit.” Jayne said as Jenna grabbed her bowl and sat down in front of the coffee table to eat her ramen.

                “I’m not interrupting your dinner, am I?” Soohyun asked, concern in his voice.

                “Nah. We’re just eating ramen. Nothing fancy.” Jayne said as Soohyun relaxed.

                “Oh, before I forget, please send me a text when you get to the concert venue because I can have the manager meet you and Jenna to give you the front row seats and all access/backstage passes.” Soohyun said.

                “I will definitely do that!” Jayne said getting excited.

                “Well, I hate to cut this conversation short, but our company van will be coming by shortly to pick us up to take us to the venue so we can get our hair, makeup, and outfits done. Enjoy your dinner and I’ll see you in a few hours.” Soohyun said, glancing at the clock on his nightstand next to his bed.

                “Can’t wait! See you then.” Jayne said and hung up. She walked into the kitchen and grabbed her bowl of ramen and sat opposite Jenna on the floor.

                “Was that Soohyun?” Jenna asked, taking a bite of her noodles.

                “Yes. He said for me to send him a text when we get to the venue so that he can have his manager meet us to give us the front row seats and backstage passes. I swear, this feels like a dream. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. I want to pinch myself because it doesn’t feel real.” Jayne said as she took her first bite of ramen.

                “I know what you mean. It’s one thing to win them through a radio contest or something similar, but to get them because you actually know the band is completely different. I am so excited!” Jenna said as they high-fived each other.

                “How much do you want to bet that our ear drums will rupture and bleed? If it’s not from the screaming, it will be due to us being so close to the speakers.” Jayne laughed, but was hoping it wouldn’t become true.

                “At least we have the weekend to gain our hearing back. Well, I would hope so anyway. Should we get ear plugs?” Jenna said as Jayne stopped eating.

                “Um…that does bring up a good point. Yeah, maybe we should get some just to be on the safe side. I’m sure we’d still be able to hear everything since we’ll be so close. We should probably hurry up and finish eating and get changed so we can grab them before we need to head out.” Jayne said as Jenna agreed. They went back to eating and decided to do just that.

***

                “Hey Soo, here’s a rough copy of our schedule tonight.” Eli said as he walked over and sat in the salon chair next to Soohyun. All of U-Kiss had arrived at the concert venue and changed into their outfits for the show. Now they were getting their hair and makeup done.

                “Thanks. How are you feeling? Are you a little bit nervous? I feel a bit different knowing that Jayne’s going to be watching.” Soohyun said, closing his eyes to allow his makeup artist the chance to apply the foundation on his face.

                “A tiny bit, yeah. I guess I’m going to be worried about if Jenna will like the show. But, the only thing we can do is our best, neh?” Eli said as a makeup artist came over and started working on his face.

                “True. How are the rest of the guys doing?” Soohyun asked.

                “They’re doing good. I believe they’re getting hair and makeup done as well.” Eli said as Soohyun was able to open his eyes.

                “Well, after my hair is done, I’ll go check on them.” Soohyun said.

                “Hi guys. Ready for the show tonight? Soohyun, have you talked to Jayne?” Their manager said as he walked up to the back of the two chairs that Soohyun and Eli were sitting in.

                “Annyeong, manager hyung. Yes, I spoke with her earlier. I told her to text me when she and Jenna arrive so that you can find them.” Soohyun said as the hair stylist sprayed some hair spray into his locks.

                “Sounds great. I’m sure we can find a way to get them to visit before you guys are scheduled to go out and perform. I don’t know how crazy it’s going to be after you get off the stage. I’ll keep an eye out for them, so don’t worry.” Their manager said as Soohyun smiled. Two minutes later, Soohyun’s hair and makeup were done and he slipped out of the chair to go check on the other band members.