Chapter 2

Cinderella

                Soohyun walked back to his car and drove home to the apartment he shared with his band mates, Dongho and Hoon. He had a goofy grin on his face and couldn’t seem to shake the images of Jayne out of his mind. He was in such a preoccupied state thinking about her, that he forgot to go get his coffee at the café shop. It was the sole purpose of leaving the apartment that morning before the members would leave for practice.

                “Hey Soohyun. How was breakfast? Bring us back anything?” Hoon yawned upon seeing Soohyun come in to the living room. Soohyun in his little dream world jumped at hearing Hoon’s voice. Upon hearing Hoon’s question about breakfast, his stomach growled noisily and he realized he was starving from returning straight home. “Was that your stomach? Either you’re a bottomless pit, or you didn’t grab anything. Long line at the café?” Hoon asked.

                “Heh…well, funny thing happened at the café. I actually had coffee spilled on me and completely forgot about getting my own.” Soohyun said as he glanced at his phone for the time. It wouldn’t be long before he needed to change and meet the rest of the members at the NH Media studio so they could practice their dance moves.

                “That . You okay? Hope the coffee wasn’t too hot. You want me to throw something together quickly before we leave or just grab something on the way?” Hoon asked as he got up off the couch. He needed to wake up Dongho, and getting him out of the bed was a task in itself.

                “Well, I’m going to change and freshen up. Let’s grab something on the way there. I’ll call Eli and ask if the others want something as well. You going to wake up Dongho?” Soohyun asked as Hoon nodded his head. “Good luck with that.” Soohyun said as he walked into his bedroom and opened the closet door to find a new outfit.

***

                Two hours later U-Kiss was halfway thru their dance routine at their record label’s studio. Despite the other members’ flawless moves, Soohyun was dancing like he had two left feet. It wasn’t noticeable at first, but as time progressed the dance didn’t feel quite in sync like it should be, and all eyes pointed to Soohyun.

                “Cut, cut, cut!” Their manager called from the back of the dance practice room. He was rubbing his temples with the palms of his hands as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. The boys cringed slightly hoping not to upset him. “Seems like you guys need a break. Take ten minutes. Soohyun, I need to have a word with you.” It got so silent you could have heard a pin drop. Soohyun walked towards the back of the room as the other members looked at each other, afraid of what would happen next. Soohyun and the manager walked out of the room and the door closed behind them.

                “I hope everything’s okay with Soohyun. He seems a bit out of it. Did anything in particular happen this morning that we didn’t know about?” Kevin asked the group.

                “Only thing he mentioned when I saw him this morning was that he was going to get breakfast at the café in town and someone spilled coffee on him. I hope there wasn’t an altercation.” Hoon said as the others nodded.

                “Well, who knows what our manager is saying to him right now. I think we should make Soohyun feel at ease when they come back in. He may not be feeling well…” Dongho said with concern in his voice for their leader.

***

                “Is everything okay, Soohyun? You’re not acting like yourself. Are you getting sick? Should I schedule an appointment for you to be seen by the doctor? Do you need a vitamin shot?” His manager asked worriedly. Soohyun felt bad. He hadn’t realized the reason he was acting so strangely was due to his mind wondering to the events that happened earlier that morning at the café.

                “I’m so sorry, manager. I didn’t realize how badly I was performing in the practice room. I’ll do my best when we resume our dance.” Soohyun bowed slightly. His manager took his hand and pressed it up against his forehead to feel if there was a fever. Upon feeling no heat, he withdrew his hand and looked at him with a puzzled expression.

                “You’re absolutely sure that you’re feeling okay?” The manager said with hesitation in his voice.

                “I’m positive. I won’t let you down, manager.” Soohyun said. The manager’s eyes relaxed and he patted Soohyun on the back gently.

                “Take a few extra minutes and grab a small snack to eat just in case. You did have breakfast this morning, right?”

                “Yes…we all did. I actually treated everyone to breakfast.” Soohyun said trying to ease the manager’s mind.

                “Very well…I’ll see you back in the practice room in a few minutes.” The manager then walked down the hall to his office, leaving Soohyun alone with his thoughts on what he needed to do next. Soohyun pulled out his phone to check the time and suddenly the urge to text Jayne entered his mind. He figured he would do just that, otherwise his performance for the remainder of their time at the studio may become worse, and he didn’t want to disappoint his manager or the other members. He walked to the corner of the building where some lounge chairs were set up next to the windows. Sitting down he wracked his brain trying to figure out what he would text Jayne.

                “I need to keep it casual…just initiate friendly conversation…that’s a good idea.” He thought to himself. He opened up the option to send a text message on his phone and started to compose a message.

          Hi Jayne, it’s Soohyun. I really enjoyed meeting you. I hope your day is going well at the hogwan. Hope to hear from you soon.

                Soohyun sent the text immediately before he had a chance to delete it. He stared at the home screen of his phone for a few minutes, hoping she’d text back right away, but figured that she may not have time at work to do so. He got up from the chair and ran his fingers thru his hair nervously. He started pacing back and forth trying to calm the butterflies in his stomach. Just as he was about to go find the other members of U-Kiss, he got a notification of a text message. He looked down at his phone and was surprised to see a text message from Jayne. He quickly sat back down and covered his mouth with one hand while the other hand opened the text message on his phone.

                Hi Soohyun. It’s very nice hearing from you. Work is going well. Just preparing my lesson before the students come after school. How is your day going?

                Soohyun read the message over and over again. He wanted to jump up and dance in excitement, but couldn’t move his body. Why was he getting so excited over this? A million thoughts were racing thru his head on what he should reply back to her text. His fingers frantically started to type away the following message:

                My day is going well, thank you. Just taking a break at work. I should be heading back, but I wanted to send you a text and see how you were doing. Maybe I can give you a call later on tonight?

                “Was that too much? I hope I don’t sound too desperate.” Soohyun thought to himself after sending the text.

                That sounds great. I look forward to hearing from you ;)

                Soohyun breathed a sigh of relief. He bit his lip trying to think of what to say to end their conversation.

                Awesome. I’ll talk to you later on tonight. Have a good rest of your day until then.

                Soohyun got up and put the phone into the pocket of his pants. He felt like he was walking on clouds as he headed back to the dance room.

                “Soohyun, is everything okay? Did you get in trouble?” Dongho asked upon seeing Soohyun walk thru the door. Eli gave a light smack to the back of Dongho’s head and shot him a glare for asking such a question. Dongho rubbed the back of his head and looked at Eli wondering what he said wrong.

                “I’m fine, guys. Sorry to worry you. The manager just wanted to make sure I was feeling okay. I’m sorry for dancing sloppy. I promise I won’t do that for the remainder of our practice. I feel much better after taking that little break. Are you guys ready to finish this dance?” The other members nodded just as their manager walked in and sat in the folding chair at the back of the room. Soohyun gathered the members into a circle and a smile crept on his face as he held out his hand. “On the count of three: ‘U-Kiss Fighting.’ Ready?” Each member piled one hand on top of the other’s as they looked at each other. “One…two…three…”

                “U-KISS FIGHTING!” They all screamed and got into their positions for the dance as their manager cued the music. The speakers blasted to life and their dance moves were flawless. The vibe in the room was so contagious that their manager was tapping his feet to the music. Soon the time was over for their practice and all the boys were dripping in sweat from the hard work they put into their dance moves.

                “Excellent job, guys! I’m so proud of you! Go take a shower and change. Remember in two hours you have a radio show to attend.” Their manager said as the boys were gulping down their bottles of water. “Your outfits will be brought to your apartments half an hour before you leave, so give yourselves time to be ready before your stylists come over.” The boys headed to the van to be dropped off at their apartments. Once inside all of them were chatting back and forth excitedly about the radio show they would be doing shortly. The day was going well for U-Kiss and each member’s face showed it.