Chapter 19

Cinderella

 

               Monday morning came way too early for Jayne. She was sitting at the dining room table sipping on her freshly-brewed cup of coffee. Her weekend had gone pretty well considering her circumstances. She took Jenna’s advice and tried not to think about Soohyun. Jayne felt horrible about not contacting him, yet, but she knew that having those few days of no communication was for a good reason. The flowers that Soohyun had given her last week still sat in the middle of the dining room table. They still looked vibrant and Jayne smiled as she leaned in and sniffed them. The scent wasn’t as powerful from the day he gave them to her, but still fragrant nonetheless. Glancing at her phone for the time, she finished her cup of coffee and rinsed out the cup in the sink. She went to the bathroom and brushed her teeth before she had to leave for work. Ten minutes later she was locking the front door to her apartment and making her way down to the car.

 

                “Jayne…Jayne…earth to Jayne, anyone home?” Jenna asked as she waved her hand in front of Jayne’s eyes. Jayne slowly came out of her dream state and looked up.

                “Oh, hey Jenna. How’s it going?” Jayne asked trying to make it seem as if she wasn’t caught.

                “Uh uh, don’t try and change the topic. I was trying to get your attention for a good five minutes. You going to tell me what had you in such a stupor or am I going to have to drag it out of you?” Jenna asked as Jayne started to blush.

                “I was just thinking about someone, that’s all…” Jayne said hoping Jenna would get the hint and not question her further.

                “Ooohhh…I think I may just know who that person may be, too. How was the rest of your weekend? Were you able to keep your sanity?” Jenna giggled as Jayne stuck out her tongue.

                “I believe so. Haha. I was a good girl this weekend and stuck to the advice you gave me.” Jayne said as Jenna cocked her eyebrow.

                “Oh, is that so? How are you holding up today? Still wondering what to do or do you have a better sense of clarity on the situation?” Jenna asked as she pulled up a seat next to Jayne at the break room table.

                “Jenna, if you had to wake me up from my LaLa Land just now, what do you think?” Jayne asked as Jenna nodded.

                “Just what I thought. Well, is it good feelings or bad?” Jenna asked as Jayne sighed.

                “I’m feeling indifferent right now. I think it’s a good sign that I can’t stop thinking about him, but at the same time because there’s been a gap since we last talked and because I told him I needed the space I’m wondering if he’ll even consider spending any time with me. I know his schedule is busy enough and I don’t want to seem like I’m adding drama to it.” Jayne said as she played with a strand of her hair.

                “Jayne, you won’t know if you don’t talk to him. I’m sure he’s wondering what the heck is going on since he hasn’t heard from you. Now, I know…I was the one that told you to have no communication with him, but the reasoning behind that was to make sure you didn’t communicate with him with mixed emotions. It seems like you’ve had the time to mentally clear the clutter from your brain and now is the opportunity where you tell him what’s on your heart.” Jenna said as she patted Jayne gently on the back.

                “You’re right, Jenna. I do need to make that call. I’ll see about doing that later on today after I get off work.” Jayne said as Jenna smiled.

                “Well, don’t feel like I’m pressuring you to do so. I think he would like to hear from you. Sure, guys play hard to get, but I’m sure he’s probably feeling the exact way you are right now. Like I said, you’ll never know how he feels if you don’t ask him. I need to head back and set things up for my lesson. If you need to talk after work when you do decide to call or text him I’ll be a call away.” Jenna said getting up from the table.

                “Thanks a lot, Jenna. That makes me feel a lot better. If anything, I’ll send you a text later on tonight and let you know what happened.” Jayne said.

                “Awesome. Look forward to it!” Jenna said as she left the break room and headed to her classroom. Jayne looked at her phone and realized she had ten minutes left before her lunch break would be over. She really wanted to text Soohyun but had no clue what to write. She decided to head to her classroom where she would have more privacy. She technically wasn’t supposed to have her cell phone on her outside of the break room, but she would go into the corner of the class where no one would have a direct view of her. It only took a minute to get to her classroom. She quietly closed the door and walked over to the supply cabinet in the corner of the room adjacent to her desk. Jayne opened the doors on it to block anyone from directly seeing her if they were to enter the room. Pulling out her phone, she leaned up against the inside of the cabinet door and looked in the contacts of her phone before selecting the name and pressing “send.”

                “Yeboseyo (Hello)?” The male voice answered after the phone rang a few times.

                “Eli…it’s Jayne.” She said as her mind went blank.

                “Jayne, it’s good to hear from you. How is everything? Are you okay?” Eli said as Jayne twisted a strand of hair around her finger nervously.

                “Um…I don’t really know to be honest. A lot has happened over the past week. I feel really bad about the way I reacted to those events, but I was hoping that you and I could meet up for some coffee so we can discuss some things. I know that you have a really busy schedule and not a lot of free time, but whatever time you can spare I would really appreciate it.” Jayne said, closing her eyes and praying that it could be arranged.

                “How soon did you want to meet?” Eli asked.

                “Um, as soon as possible. I’m at work right now, but if today is too soon, maybe we can do it within the next day or two?” Jayne asked as she opened her eyes and stared down at her shoes.

                “Well, let’s try this. Why don’t you send me a text when you get out of work and I’ll see what my schedule looks like. I’m at work, too. If I’m still here by the time you’re done, I might be able to see about getting coffee for the guys.” Eli said as Jayne sighed quietly in relief and bit her lip.

                “You’d do that for me, Eli? What did I do to deserve a wonderful friend like you?” Jayne said as Eli chuckled.

                “Well, that’s what friends are for, right?” Eli said as Jayne nodded to herself.

                “You’re the best! I actually was thinking of a request that you were asking about earlier when we first met. I might be able to keep my end of the bargain. But, I’ll let that swim around in your head and give you something to think about.” Jayne said as Eli laughed. He was wracking his brain trying to remember what she was referring to. “Oh, and Eli…I don’t want to make you seem as the messenger boy in this situation, but if you could let Soohyun know that I’ll be getting in touch with him soon, I would be forever in your debt.”

                “I’d be more than happy to pass along that message. Text me later and we’ll work something out. I look forward to hearing from you soon.” Eli said and then hung up. Jayne placed her cell phone back into her purse and sat down at her desk gathering her notes for her lesson on what she would be teaching her students for the day.

 

                Eli walked back into the dance practice room where the other members were practicing. Today was just more of a review of them to keep the dancing to their songs crisp and perfect. Their manager was called away to a meeting and gave the guys free reign to practice their dance moves until he was able to return.

                “Soohyun, can I talk to you for a minute.” Eli whispered into his ear. Soohyun nodded and motioned for the rest of the members to continue on without them. Eli led the both of them outside into the hallway. A big grin came over Eli’s face and Soohyun just stared at him wondering what was making Eli look this way.

                “What’s going on? Why the big grin?” Soohyun asked as Eli folded his arms over his chest and smiled even bigger.

                “Guess who I was just on the phone with?” Eli said as Soohyun looked at him in disbelief.

                “No…you don’t mean…” Soohyun said as Eli nodded. Soohyun ran his fingers thru his hair as he took a deep breath.

                “She wants to meet me for coffee later on after work to discuss some things. She wanted me to relay the message that she’ll be getting in touch with you soon. It sounds like she wants to patch things up.” Eli said as Soohyun’s eyes got as big as saucers. He jumped up and down and hugged Eli in his excited state. Eli couldn’t help but laugh as he bounced around with him. “I knew she’d come around. It was just a matter of time.”

                “You really think Jayne wants to work things out?” Soohyun said, letting everything sink in.

                “Well, I can’t speak for her, but it sounds that way. She doesn’t seem like the kind of woman who would intentionally break someone’s heart. I guess I’ll find out what she has to say when I’m able to meet with her.” Eli said as both of them gained their composure.

                “Yeah, I agree. Well, all we can do is hope for the best. I’m glad you told me that news. I feel so much better knowing that she made that contact with you. I hope I’ll hear from her soon.” Soohyun said as Eli gave Soohyun a hearty pat on the back.

                “Well, I’m sure the guys are wondering what we’re doing. Let’s get back into practice.” Eli said as he grabbed him in a side hug. They both entered back into the dance practice room and after finding the next break in the song, joined the rest in the dance routine for that song.