Chapter 5

Cinderella

                 Three weeks had passed since the release of U-Kiss’s music video, “Believe.” It was getting a lot of attention in the KPop world, and all the members of U-Kiss were grateful to their loyal KissMe’s for making it a success. Being busy was a serious understatement for the members of U-Kiss. TV shows, radio appearances, and photo shoots were crammed into their days. It seemed like there wasn’t enough time in the day for any of the guys to breathe. Being a KPop idol was rewarding, but the way these guys worked left little to be desired given the amount of work they put into their days. Soohyun wasn’t able to keep in contact with Jayne as much as he desired. He felt bad about texting her late at night, but she had stated that she understood his schedule. He would definitely be putting her words to the test. All of the members’ eyes were blood-shot from pulling insane hours the past few days.

                “Eli…does that stuff even work for you, anymore?” Kiseop asked Eli of his Red Bull consumption. Three cans lay empty in their practice room at NH Media studio.

                “Huh? Oh…it’s more of a hit and miss lately…hahaha.” Eli said groggily as he rubbed his eyes. The guys were stretched out on the floor after finishing their dance moves for “Believe.“ Three hours of practice had all of them exhausted, and it was only 6pm at night.

                “So…tired…” AJ groaned as he leaned up against Hoon.

                “Good news, guys. I’ve seen all the hard work you have put into this single. It pains me to see all of you looking like this. So, I’ve scheduled for you guys to have a day at the spa. Can’t have my idols looking like zombies. Take advantage of it, because I don’t think I’ll be able to schedule anything like this again for a while.” Their manager said as the guys sighed in relief.

                “Thank you, manager! Thank you, God!!!” Dongho said as he got up and hugged his manager. The manager laughed and looked at the other members.

                “Well…it looks like I’ve squeezed all I could out of you today. Go home and rest up. I’ll send you all a text when the van will pick you up tomorrow. Don’t stay up too late tonight. Wouldn’t want you to miss your trip to the spa.” Their manager said as he heard moans and groans from the guys moving to get up to leave.

                “Great job, guys! I’m so proud of you all. I’m sure I’ll pass out in the van on the way home.” Soohyun said as he stretched.

                “I think we all will.” Kevin said as they all made their way to the entrance of the studio to hop into the van.

***

                Soohyun woke up to a pitch black room. Fumbling for his phone he glanced at the time and saw that it was only 10pm. He pondered whether he should go back to sleep, but felt bright and alert from his mini nap. Needing to interact with someone, he got up and checked Hoon and Dongho’s room. Both of them were passed out; their snores drifting to their opened bedroom door. Soohyun quietly closed the door and leaned up against it. He bit his lip as he glared at his phone. Walking to the couch in the living room, he decided to see if Jayne was awake. His fingers skimmed over the keys on his phone and he sent off his text, praying that she would respond. Laying on the couch, the living room was dark as well, the only light available came from his phone screen.

            Jayne, I’m so sorry for texting this late. I fell asleep earlier from a long day at work and now am wide awake. I hope that we can chat.

                Soohyun closed his eyes, letting the quietness envelop him. A few minutes later his phone chirped, scaring him out of his daze. A smile crept over his face as he saw a text from Jayne. Sitting up, he called her phone.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello).” Jayne answered, smiling at seeing Soohyun’s phone number call her phone.

                “Hey, Jayne. Sorry it’s been a while since we talked on the phone. My schedule has been insane lately. What are you up to? Were you getting ready for bed?” Soohyun asked as he ran his left hand through his messy hair.

                “It’s okay. I’m glad to hear from you. I wasn’t going to go to bed just yet. I’m still a bit awake, actually.” Jayne said as she closed her laptop screen.

                “Well, as I said in my text to you just now, I had a power nap and now I’m wide awake. I feel like going out and doing something. I was thinking of going to the Han River. I know it’s really late at night, but did you want to meet me there?” Soohyun asked, anticipating her answer.

                “I’d love to. Tomorrow is Saturday, so I won’t have to worry about working. You want me to meet you there?” Jayne said as she went to go find her purse.

                “Really? Yeah, if you don’t mind. I forgot tomorrow was Saturday. My days have become one big blur with everything going on. You sure it’s no problem?” Soohyun asked as his heart started to pound in his chest with excitement.

                “Well, it’s not like I go out and do this all the time.” Jayne giggled. “I wouldn’t say ‘yes’ if I couldn’t meet you.”

                “Yeah, that is true. So, send me a text when you get there. I’ll be waiting in the parking lot.” Soohyun said as they said their goodbyes and hung up. He had no clue if Hoon and Dongho would wake up like he did, so he scribbled a quick note and left it on the fridge. After freshening up and changing clothes, he made his way out to his car and made the journey to the Han River to meet Jayne.

                Twenty minutes later, Jayne pulled up to the parking lot and turned off her car. She reached into her purse and pulled out her phone. After sending her text to Soohyun, she checked her reflection in the rearview mirror and waited for his response. A minute passed, and her phone notified her of Soohyun’s text. He was waiting for her at the entrance to the sidewalk. Jayne grabbed her purse and locked her car as she made her way over to him.

                Soohyun’s heart skipped a beat when he saw Jayne walking towards him. He was so happy to see her again. She made him feel so alive and full of energy. “Annyeong haseyo (Hello), Jayne. Thank you so much for coming here to meet me.” Soohyun said as he bowed slightly.

                “Annyeong haseyo, Soohyun. It’s my pleasure to be here. I’m happy to see you again!” Jayne said bowing back.

                “Shall we?” Soohyun asked motioning for them to start walking down the sidewalk. Jayne nodded and they walked side by side. The lights on the bridge gave the river a beautiful glow.

                “So, how have you been? It seems you have been quite busy. Last time I saw you was when we met here. Feels a bit like déjà vu.” Jayne said as she put her hands in her coat pocket to keep them warm from the chilly night air.

                “Wow…you’re right. I wish we could have met sooner. I feel so bad that my schedule isn’t a normal 9-5 deal. I’m grateful that you understand.” Soohyun said.

                “Well, I’m glad we’re here right now. I like spending time with you.” Jayne said, a blush creeping into her cheeks.

                “I like spending time with you, too. I feel so relaxed around you.” Soohyun said as he stopped walking and turned to face Jayne. Both of them moved to the side to be out of the way of other people walking by.

                “Well good…because I feel the same way.” Jayne said as she gazed into his eyes. She could see the exhaustion on his face and could tell he wasn’t lying about working hard. “You look so tired. Please tell me that you are getting some rest…” Jayne said; a note of concern in her voice.

                “Not lately, but my manager actually booked me a day at the spa tomorrow. Guess all my hard work has been noticed.” Soohyun grinned.

                “I would hope so! You seem like you take your work very seriously. I can tell just by looking at you.” Jayne said.

                “Well, thank you. I love my job. I have six hyungs that I work with. Not literally, but it feels like we could be brothers. I’m their leader, so I’m always worrying about them. I want to see them succeed.” Soohyun said choosing his words carefully. He gazed at her waiting to see how she would react.

                “That’s so sweet. It seems like nowadays people only care about themselves. I’m sure they appreciate your dedication to their success.” Jayne said as a gust of wind blew a strand of hair into her eyes. Soohyun gently placed the blonde strand behind her ear as Jayne stood frozen.

                “You have the most beautiful blue eyes. We’re not used to seeing that over here in Korea. I could stare at them all day.” Soohyun said ever so softly. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from hers. Jayne could hear her heart thumping loudly in her ears. Before she could say anything else, Soohyun’s lips gently grazed hers. His right hand delicately cupped her face as his lips covered hers. His heart exploded at the contact. Jayne’s eyes closed as she wrapped her arms around his waist. Her lips were so soft and delicate, causing Soohyun to yearn for more. He could taste a hint of her berry lip balm. His thumb on his right hand gently her jaw line, as she opened up to him. The kiss was slow and deliberate; exploring each other’s mouths. Soohyun gently pulled back and gazed at Jayne, her eyes questioning his next move. He moved back in and kissed her once more, savoring it.

                “Wow…” Jayne whispered breathlessly. Soohyun grinned. He ran his fingers through her hair and pulled her into a hug. His 5 foot 11 inch frame hovering over her 5’7” body. He placed a gentle kiss on her hair as he breathed in the faint scent of her tropical shampoo. Jayne sighed against his chest, closing her eyes. She felt so safe in his arms. Soohyun didn’t want to let her go. He wanted to stay in this moment forever. Public displays of affection were not too common in Korea, so he knew he was probably drawing attention from people passing by. After a few moments, he gently cupped her chin up to look at his face. He leaned down and kissed her nose, noticing how cold it felt.

                “We should get out of the cold. I don’t want you getting sick.” Soohyun said. Jayne nodded and they started walking back towards the direction of their cars. He took her hand and placed it in his coat pocket, lacing his fingers around hers to keep it warm. “Where did you want to go?” He asked once they reached her car.

                “I don’t think much is open at this time of night. Did you want to come back to my place?” Jayne asked as she leaned up against the driver’s side door.

                “Sure. We can do that. I’ll meet you there. Drive safe.” Soohyun gave her a soft goodbye kiss on her lips. He slowly pulled away and walked the short distance to his car. Jayne got into her vehicle and started it up, waiting for Soohyun’s car to pull up behind hers. Twenty minutes later, both of their cars pulled up at her apartment and they headed up the stairs to her door.

                “Jinxy, baby…c’mere.” Jayne said once she opened her apartment door after seeing Jinx sitting nearby on the carpet. She picked her up, kissing Jinx on her tiny kitten nose. After putting her down, she slipped out of her shoes and jacket and watched Soohyun do the same. She grabbed Soohyun’s coat and draped it over her dining room chair. “Do you want me to fix something to drink?” Jayne asked as Soohyun sat on the couch.

                “Yes please. What did you have in mind?” Soohyun asked as Jinx started playing by Soohyun’s feet.

                “Would you like some tea? That way we can get warmed up from being out in the cold.” Jayne said as Soohyun nodded. She turned the light on in the kitchen and ran some water into the kettle before placing it on the stove to heat. Her back was facing Soohyun as he quietly walked into the kitchen. Tenderly, he turned her around. Her back rested up against the kitchen counter as she stared up at him.

                “I really, really like you, Jayne. Everything about you.” Soohyun said quietly.

                “I like you, too, Soohyun. Very much. I’m glad I did literally bump into you.” Jayne said as they both giggled. Their laughter faded away and his hands delicately touched her waist. He leaned forward and their lips touched once again. Jayne’s hands came to rest on his chest, amazed at how muscular it felt. His tongue slipped in , slowly exploring every inch. Their kisses became deeper and the two of them were getting lost in the moment when a loud whistle broke them apart. The kettle was ready and Jayne moved away from Soohyun to turn off the burner on the stove. She grabbed two cups out of the cupboard and got a tray from the top of the fridge to place them on. Putting the tea bags in the cups, she grabbed the kettle and poured the water on top. Steam rose from them as she got two spoons and the bowl of sugar. Both of them moved into the living room as she placed the tray on the coffee table. Once the two of them had made the tea to their liking, Jayne shifted sideways on the couch to face Soohyun.

                “So, tell me about yourself. I want to know all about you.” Jayne said as she leaned the left side of her body into the couch. Soohyun smiled at her.

                “What all do you want to know? Where should I start?” He asked, turning his body to face hers.

                “Wherever you feel comfortable. Don’t worry, you can ask the same about me when you’re done.” Jayne said. Soohyun nodded and wondered what all to say.