Chapter 14

Cinderella

 

                Two hours had passed since U-Kiss’s manager, Soohyun, and Jayne were eating dinner at the restaurant. Jayne was unlocking her door with Soohyun behind her. They both slipped off their shoes and she took his dress jacket to hang on the back of her dining room chair. Doing the same with her dress coat, she turned around and sat on the couch. Soohyun sat next to her and drew her into a hug. His lips tenderly grazed her forehead as she wrapped her arm around his waist.

                “Soohyun…” Jayne said as she tilted her head up slightly to look in his face.

                “Hhhhmmmm.” Soohyun said as his right hand brushed her hair behind her ear.

                “Is your manager going to be waiting for you in the car? Because to be honest, I need to have a heart-to-heart talk with you and I don’t want him waiting for a long time.” Jayne said as he pulled away from her slowly. He reached into his pocket and quickly sent a text message to his manager letting him know that he’d be staying for a while and would catch a cab home. His manager texted back acknowledging the situation and Soohyun placed his phone on the coffee table.

                “Is everything okay?” Soohyun asked softly as Jayne turned her body sideways to face him. She lifted her legs up on the couch and sat criss-crossed.

                “Soohyun…I…” Jayne said and then hung her head. His hand gently lifted up her chin. As he did just that, a single tear slid down her cheek. His thumb gently wiped it away as she looked at him with tear-filled eyes.

                “Jayne, what’s the matter?” Soohyun prodded as his thumb her cheek.

                “I..I’m so scared, Soohyun. Seeing those photos just freaked me out. Are they going to be following us from now on? Our every move? Will fans know who I am and start stalking me, too? There’s so many questions that are buzzing around in my head right now. You know I care about you so deeply, Soohyun. I feel horrible for even saying what I just did, because I’m sure you must get ten times worse than I ever would in those situations.” Jayne said as the tears started streaming down her face. Soohyun wrapped Jayne in a big hug, her hair as he let her cry. His stomach was starting to twist in knots. He felt horrible seeing Jayne feel this way. He felt so hopeless.

                “Jayne, there’s nothing wrong with feeling the way you do. It’s a completely normal reaction. There are plenty of times I wish that I could just go about my life and not have to worry about looking over my shoulder. To have the life that you have. But, with that being said, myself and the other members of U-Kiss love our fans so much and we’ve been working for years to get where we are. We love making music for them and seeing how many different countries know about our music is what pushes us to work stronger. Our fans, we call them KissMe’s, are our inspiration for everything that we do. As much as I have feelings for you, one thing will never change, Jayne. I chose this life. This is my dream. I can’t make you want to be with me.” Soohyun said as Jayne nodded her head.

                “Oh, Soohyun, I would never want you to give this up. I don’t even know you that well, but I can see how hard-working and dedicated you are. I would never stand in the way of you and your career. I’m just asking for one favor, though…” Jayne said as he gazed intently at her.

                “What is it?” Soohyun asked as she reached for his hands and gave them a gentle squeeze.

                “Soohyun, please let me have a few days to just absorb all this information in. I’m just in a sensory overload right now. Is that too much to ask?” Jayne said as Soohyun shook his head.

                “I can only imagine. I know a lot has happened in the past few days. What do I need to do?” Soohyun asked as Jayne looked down.

                “Just let me have a week to sort everything out.” Jayne said softly as Soohyun’s heart throbbed in pain.

                “Whatever you need. Does that mean you don’t want me to contact you?” Soohyun asked as Jayne looked up at him.

                “I’m sure I’ll talk to you before the week is over. But, I would like to initiate the contact. That way I won’t feel conflicted.” Jayne said as Soohyun nodded.

                “Well, I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you.” Soohyun said, trying to brighten the solemn mood that was clouding over them. Jayne tried to smile, but he could tell she had a lot going on in her mind to prevent her usual chipper self from showing. “Do you want me to leave?” He asked as Jayne opened , but no words came out. “It’s okay. I know those photos didn’t help with the mood tonight. You need your rest. I’ll head back to my place so you can get your sleep for work tomorrow.” Soohyun said as they both got up. She took two steps, and her legs started to give out underneath her. Soohyun noticed this and instantly grabbed her. His strong arms wrapped around her torso, keeping her from falling. “Are you okay, Jayne?” He asked as he slowly made one step back, his arms held on either side of her shoulders, making sure she remained upright.

                “I…I don’t know.” Jayne answered honestly as the room started to spin around her.

                “I’m taking you to bed.” Soohyun said as closed the slight gap in between them and picked her up. Jayne wasn’t a skinny woman. She was worried that she may be too heavy for him, but he made it seem like she weighed nothing at all. Moments later, he was laying her down delicately on her bed. He went to her bathroom and soaked a washcloth under water in the bathroom sink. He wrung it out and then strode back to her bed where he placed it on her forehead, checking the pallor of her skin.

                “Soohyun, I’m fine. Really,…the room just started spinning around me when I got up. That’s all. I probably got up too fast.” Jayne said as she tried to sit up. Soohyun put his finger to his lips and placed his left hand against her body to keep her from sitting up.

                “I’m not going to take any chances. You need to lay still and relax.” Soohyun said. He carefully arranged her bed sheets and comforter so that her body was covered. “You don’t have any medical conditions that I need to be aware of, do you? Like low blood sugar or anything?” He asked as Jayne shook her head. After a few minutes, he lifted the washcloth off her head and noticing some color coming back in her face; he went to the bathroom and placed it over the side of the bathtub. “Do you need something to drink?” Soohyun asked as Jayne shrugged. He walked out of the bedroom and opened her fridge and grabbed a soda in case she would need it later on. “You want me to open it for you to drink now?”

                “Please.” Jayne said as she sat up in the bed. He popped the tab and handed it to her. Jayne took a few sips and handed the drink back to him. He placed it on the nightstand next to the bed. “Soohyun…” Jayne said, looking into his eyes earnestly. Soohyun searched into the depths of her blue eyes, becoming lost in them.

                “Yes…” Soohyun answered as Jayne got under the covers. She knew she was still in her dressy clothes from her night out with Soohyun, but she didn’t care.

                “Hold me.” Jayne said, barely loud enough for him to hear.

                “What did you say?” Soohyun said, making sure he wasn’t hearing things.

                “Hold me…jebal (please).” Jayne said as Soohyun walked around to the opposite side of the bed. He climbed on top and settled in so that he was close enough to wrap his arms around her.

                “Are you sure this is what you want?” Soohyun asked, making sure that Jayne knew what she was asking for.

                “Mmmmhhhhhmmmm.” Jayne said as she nestled into his arms. So many emotions flooded Soohyun’s brain at this moment. The one that took control first was the feeling of pride. He was happy that he was able to provide the safety and comfort that Jayne needed. His muscular arms held her up against his chest. Although he lay on top of the covers while Jayne was underneath, she draped her arm over his body as she laid her head over his heart. His heart burst with joy at the contact. He was about to ask her another question when he felt her body rise up and down slightly in rhythm with his. She had fallen asleep in his arms. Soohyun didn’t know what to think. He couldn’t tear his gaze from her. Jayne looked so peaceful. He ever so slightly scooted his body down so that his head rested on her spare pillow for the bed. Jayne didn’t stir. He set the time on his cell phone for an alarm and closed his eyes. Although he fought to stay awake a bit longer, the events of the past few days caught up with him. Before he knew it, he was drifting off to sleep. His arm wrapped loosely around her side as their hearts beat as one.