Chapter 23

Cinderella

 

                The members of U-Kiss were gathered in their waiting room backstage at the venue. Sitting on the leather couches, they were looking at the breakdown of their schedule.

                “Guys, do you mind if we go over the last song real quick?” Soohyun said as the other members looked up and stared at him.

                “The whole thing?” AJ asked as Soohyun nodded.

                “Acapella or do you want us to sing along with the music?” Kiseop asked as Soohyun took out his phone and brought up the instrumental to the song on his music files.

                “We can sing along to the instrumental.” Soohyun said as they nodded. He pressed play and the guys started singing along based on their lines in the song. Three and a half minutes later, the song ended.

                “I like the song a lot, Soohyun. I’m sure our KissMes will love it!” Kevin said as the others agreed.

                “You think so?” Soohyun asked nervously.

                “Well, the fact that it will be released as a digital single is a pretty big deal.” Hoon said as a text message arrived on Soohyun’s phone.

            Hey, Soohyun. Jenna and I just arrived. Where do you want us to go?

                Soohyun grabbed his phone and went in search for his manager. He was down the hall and upon reaching him, Soohyun showed him Jayne’s text message.

            Manager hyung said to go to the “will call” area where people pick up their concert tickets. He should be up to meet you in 5-10 minutes.

                Soohyun’s stomach was starting to twist in knots after he sent the text. His manager left to go meet Jayne and Jenna, as he made his way back to the waiting room.

                “Where did you run off to?” Dongho asked as Soohyun sat down in one of the lounge chairs.

                “You’ll find out shortly.” Soohyun said with a smirk on his face.

***

                “What did Soohyun text you?” Jenna asked Jayne as they started walking towards the ticket booth.

                “Their manager’s going to meet us here.” Jayne said as she stood a few inches away from the plexiglass.

                “Wait, could that be him?” Jenna asked a few minutes later as she noticed a man walking towards them. He was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses to blend in with the others.

                “Possibly. Guess we’ll find out in a minute.” Jayne said as they turned to face him.

                “Annyeong Haseyo, Jayne. Good to see you again. This must be Jenna.” The manager said as he bowed slightly to them.

                “Annyeong Haseyo. Yes, this is Jenna. Thank you so much for this opportunity!” Jayne said as her and Jenna bowed back. He motioned for them to follow him and led the way to the exit he had emerged from that led to the backstage area. Once they got backstage, he paused and turned around, handing them lanyards to grant them access.

                “Are you excited to meet the guys? Oh wait a minute…you haven’t met the others besides Eli and Soohyun, yet, have you?” The manager said.

                “You’re right, we haven’t.” Jayne said, starting to get a bit nervous.

                “Well, I think you’ll like them. They’re really great guys.” The manager said. They walked for a few more minutes until they turned a corner and came to their room. “Okay, you ladies ready to meet them?” They both nodded and he ushered them in. Eli was walking by taking a sip of his water and did a double take. He carefully swallowed his water and then ran over to greet them.

                “Annyeong Haseyo, Jenna. I’m glad you could make it.” Eli said as he bowed slightly to her. Jenna greeted him and bowed back. An awkward silence came over them and without saying a word; he grabbed her hand and brought her over to the rest of the guys.

                “Guys, I have someone for you to meet! This is Jenna. Jenna these are my hyungs: AJ, Kevin, you already know Soohyun, Kiseop, Hoon, and Dongho.” Eli said as they all bowed slightly and waved hello.

                “Jayne!” Soohyun said as he saw her in the background. He walked over to meet her and gave her a quick hug as he slyly stole a kiss on her cheek while the others were distracted. “I’m so glad you could make it.” He laced his hand in hers and brought her over to the guys. After he introduced her to the other members, they all sat down.

                “So, I’m sure you’re wondering who these two beautiful ladies are.” Soohyun said as the guys nodded and eagerly awaited his answer. “I met Jayne about two months ago at a coffee shop in Seoul. We hit it off and we’ve been talking since then. Jenna is her friend from work. They both work at a hagwon in Seoul.”

                “It’s a pleasure meeting you.” Kevin said as Jayne and Jenna thanked him. The group made small talk and the guys asked Jayne and Jenna a few questions to get to know them better.

                “Ten minutes before you interview with Arirang radio, guys.” Their manager said after he was pulled to the side from a producer for the concert that evening. “Jayne and Jenna, I’ll you to your seats.”

                “Aaawww, they have to go already?” Eli said pouting.

                “I’m afraid so.” Their manager said as the girls got up from the couch. The guys all said their goodbyes. Eli gave Jenna a friendly hug.

                “Wish us luck.” Soohyun said to Jayne after she waved goodbye to the others.

                “Luck? You don’t need luck. You are going to be amazing out there tonight! U-Kiss HWAITING!” Jayne said as the guys cheered and gave her a thumbs up. Soohyun wrapped his arms around Jayne in a firm hug and Jayne squeezed back. She let her hand caress his cheek softly and then turned away to follow the manager and Jenna.

                “Woah, woah, woah…what was that all about?” Hoon asked as he nudged Soohyun in the arm after they all left. The other guys circled around him and started ganging up on him playfully.

                “Yah! I know you’re not going to ruin my outfit and hair before we go on stage.” Soohyun said in a leader-like tone. They gave him some space to breathe, but still let him know they weren’t going to let up on the subject.

                “I already told you who she was.” Soohyun said with a grin as the guys rolled their eyes.

                “Well, are you guys dating?” Dongho asked as Soohyun chose his words carefully.

                “I would like for us to be, but we’re just trying to take things one day at a time. Who do you think that song was about that we’re performing tonight?” Soohyun said as the rest of U-Kiss (except Eli) paused and then connected the piece to the puzzle.

                “So, Jayne was your inspiration for the song? I get it now!” Kiseop said as Soohyun started to blush slightly.

                “Alright, U-Kiss, please follow me up to the stage so you can do a mini interview with Isak before your performance.” The producer said as they followed her through the hallway out to the backstage area of the main stage. All of the guys slipped in their earphones and waited for their cue from Isak to welcome them to the stage.

                “Well, I know all of you KissMes and fans of this show are excited about our next act. Are you guys ready to meet U-Kiss?” Isak asked as she was greeted with a deafening scream. “Oh, I don’t know. I wasn’t so sure…I said are you guys excited to meet U-Kiss?” This time, the scream was at least five decibels louder. “Here they are,…U-Kiss!” All seven members bounded out onto the stage and gave their greeting to the crowd. “Welcome, guys! So glad you all could make it. How are you doing tonight?”

                “We’re doing great. Thanks for asking. Most importantly, how are YOU guys doing?” Kevin said to the crowd. They squealed and waved their banners, glow sticks, and signs.

                “Seems like they’re excited to see you! So, it’s been a while since I’ve seen you all. I know I’ve heard from you via phone calling in to the K-Poppin’ segment of my show a few times, but it’s great to see you in person again. Catch me up to speed on what you all have been up to lately. I see that your single, Believe, is getting a lot of airtime play.” Isak said as the members clapped and gave thumbs up signs to the crowd.

                “Well, we are so happy that ‘Believe’ is doing so well! Did you guys know that AJ wrote that song? You guys like it a lot?” Eli said as the crowd screamed even louder.

                “AJ, you wrote the lyrics to that song? That’s incredible! Wow, I am impressed! It’s an awesome song!” Isak said as AJ bowed slightly and blew kisses to the crowd.

                “Thank you! Thank you so much, that means a lot. I’ve written a few songs for U-Kiss. I hope to write more in the future.” AJ said.

                “We have a lot planned for the rest of this year. We will be going to a few countries this year on tour, as well as promoting our album and songs.” Soohyun said.

                “As a matter of fact, our KissMes and those of you here tonight are in for a very special treat because we will be singing a new single that has not been released yet to the public. You will be the first ones to hear it. So please support our song! It will be a digital single and not released on an album, but we will give you many ways of being able to download and listen to it. Another reason to anticipate this single is because our very own Soohyun wrote this song last weekend. Hot off the presses!” Eli said as the crowd went crazy.

                “Wow! So not only is ‘Believe’ written by AJ, we now have a single that is written by Soohyun. Is this something we can look forward to in the future? Do you guys enjoy writing songs and being involved in the writing process?” Isak asked.

                “I think if we can write lyrics to our songs and have the fans like and enjoy them, it will definitely give us the motivation to continue being more involved in that process.” Kiseop said.

                “Well, it looks like you are going to be performing four songs for us tonight. I’m not going to keep the audience in suspense any longer.” Isak said as the guys got into position on stage. “Without further ado, here’s U-Kiss!” Isak made her exit towards the side of the stage and the stage lights out while the music was being cued up.