Chapter 15

Cinderella

 

                The sound of the alarm on Soohyun’s cell phone woke him from his deep slumber. He half-opened his eyes to silence the noise and realized that he was not at his apartment. He looked down and saw that he was still fully clothed from the night before. Bolting up in the bed, he rubbed his eyes trying to see if he was just dreaming. After blinking his eyes several times and seeing that he was indeed at someone else’s place, he looked next to him and saw Jayne’s body inches away. His brain was functioning slowly as he was connecting the dots in his mind.

                “Was I that tired that I couldn’t even make it home?” Soohyun said to himself as he picked up his phone to view the time. It was 5:30am. “Why in the world did I set it that early? I must’ve been crazy to wake up at this ungodly hour.” Soohyun thought as he shook his head. He glanced over at Jayne’s sleeping body. “She looks so beautiful.” Soohyun said to himself. Despite her bed-hair and overall morning appearance, he was captivated by seeing this side of her.

                “Jayne…wake up.” Soohyun said just loud enough to wake her up. She stirred in her sleep, but didn’t open her eyes. He carefully leaned over and kissed her forehead, watching her reaction so he wouldn’t get accidentally punched or perhaps worse. Jayne sighed contently in her sleep at his kiss, but still didn’t wake up. Soohyun thought for a moment on what to do. He didn’t want to kiss her on the lips and frighten her since she wouldn’t be expecting it. He decided to turn the light on and hope the brightness would do the trick. Gently getting off the bed, he made his way across the room and flipped the light switch on. Jayne immediately tried to cover her face with the comforter from her bed. She only had the material over her face for a minute before she sat up, wondering how the light was on in her room. Half asleep, she got out of bed with the intention of turning off the light and falling back asleep. However, she saw a figure standing in her room which made her stop in her tracks.

                “I must be dreaming. Who are you?” Jayne said groggily. She rubbed her eyes with her hands in the spot where she was standing.

                “Jayne, it’s me, Soohyun.” He said gently, hoping not to startle her.

                “Good morning, Soohyun. How are you?” Jayne said and walked right past him, dragging her feet. She went into her bathroom and closed the door. As she sat on the toilet to do her morning business, she realized that she was still in her clothes from the night before. Her outfit was extremely wrinkled from sleeping in it. Slowly, her mind was coming out of the fog of her dream state. After flushing the toilet and situating her clothing, she washed her hands and glanced at her reflection in the bathroom mirror. Running a brush through her hair, she stood with a blank look on her face. “I am so out of it this morning. I wonder what time it is. I don’t remember setting my alarm last night. I should go check to make sure I have enough time to get ready for work.” Jayne said to herself as she opened the bathroom door and walked back into her bedroom. As soon as she took three steps into her room, she saw Soohyun sitting at the edge of the bed, looking up at her. “Soohyun, do you have the ti…” Jayne started to say, but stopped mid-sentence. She looked behind her in the direction of the hallway and then slowly turned back around. There was only one thing to do to convince Jayne of her surroundings; she took her thumb and index finger and pinched a patch of skin on her right arm. “Ouch!” She said out loud and then looked up. Soohyun was still sitting on the edge of her bed. “I must be having one of those dreams where it feels real and everything is so vivid. Just what in the world did I eat before I went to bed last night? Well, I’m going to fix myself some coffee. That’s the only way I will know that I’m truly awake.” Jayne said to herself out loud as she was trying to piece the puzzle together. She turned around and headed for the kitchen. Soohyun had no idea Jayne was this hard to fully wake up, but then again, he considered the fact that him being in her apartment may be a good reason why she wasn’t thinking clearly. He chuckled to himself lightly and got up to follow her. Trying not to frighten her, he peered around the opening into the kitchen, watching her scoop the ground coffee into the filter. After filling the machine with water and turning it on, Jayne turned around and leaned her back up against the counter. She let out a big yawn and stretched her body.

                “Jayne…” Soohyun said softly, making her head snap up towards his direction. “Do you still think you’re dreaming?” He said with a twinkle in his eye, softly stepping on the kitchen tile floor towards where she was standing.

                “Haven’t decided, yet. I’m so out of it right now. Hoping the coffee will bring me to my senses. What time is it anyway? What day is it? I do have work today, right?” Jayne said as she folded her arms over her chest.

                “I didn’t know what time you would need to be awake for work, so I set my alarm for 5:30am. It’s 5:45am right now. Today is Thursday, so I would assume you would be working today.” Soohyun said, answering her questions.

                “Well, I appreciate you thinking on my behalf. That gives me plenty of time to get ready for work. A bit earlier than I would have gotten up, but better to be early than running late.” The coffee machine made a beeping noise, letting Jayne know it was ready. “Would you like a cup?” Jayne asked as Soohyun nodded. She grabbed two coffee mugs out of her cupboard and handed one to him. “I don’t know how you like your coffee, so feel free to grab what you need. I have creamer in the fridge and sugar in this jar.” Jayne said as she handed him a spoon. His hand brushed over hers as he received it, causing Jayne to snap out of her stupor.

                “Looks like someone is wide awake.” Soohyun said as he noticed her reaction. Jayne nodded her head ever so slightly. “Go ahead and sit down. I’ll grab the coffee.” Soohyun said as Jayne sat down at the dining room table. Her eyes were drawn to the flowers he gave her the night before, and the memory reel in her brain switched on. It started to replay images in her head and she sat staring straight ahead. Soohyun set her mug a few inches away from her and started pouring her coffee. He had already fixed his cup in the kitchen. Once he was done pouring, he went back into the kitchen to place the coffee pot back in the designated slot. Then he opened the fridge and grabbed the coffee creamer as well as the pot that contained the sugar and brought both items to the dining room table. Soohyun sat down directly across from Jayne, watching her eyes adjust to his body frame in her vision. Jayne picked up the creamer and trickled the liquid in. She scooped in 3 teaspoons of sugar and stirred the concoction around, watching the dark black coffee turn into a creamy beige. Placing the spoon on the table, she brought the hot drink to her lips and sipped slowly.

                “What happened last night?” Jayne asked as she placed the warm coffee mug in between her hands, connecting her eyes with his.

                “I was going to ask the same question. But, when you were half-asleep a few moments ago and I was left in your room, things started to come back to me…” Soohyun said as he took a sip of his coffee. After placing the mug down, he ran his fingers thru his disheveled locks of hair. “We went to the restaurant with my manager last night, remember?” He said more slowly as Jayne nodded. “And you were shown some photos from him…”

                “Oh…yeah…you’re right.” Jayne said as she shuddered at the thought. She avoided his gaze and drank some more coffee while she thought of the next words to say. “What happened after we came back to my place?” Jayne said quietly, hoping not to hurt Soohyun’s feelings, but wanting to confirm her suspicions.

                “Well, we had a heart-to-heart. You said you wanted a week to sort out everything. I went to leave and when you got up, you lost your balance. I took you to bed and then you asked me to hold you. I set the alarm on my phone and the rest brings us to the present moment.” Soohyun said as Jayne bit her lip.

                “I did say that, didn’t I?” Jayne said gloomily.

                “Do you still feel that way?” Soohyun asked, hoping that she would change her mind.

                “I don’t know. I’m so confused right now. Now is not a good time to ask me that. I’m still not here 100% mentally.” Jayne said as Soohyun nodded.

                “The last thing I want to do is rush you. I’ll respect your wish and give you the space you need. I’ll be waiting whenever you are ready.” Soohyun said. He finished the last of his coffee and got up to place his mug in the sink. Jayne got up after he was in the kitchen and placed the creamer back in the fridge. Soohyun turned around and faced Jayne. “Did you want me to go? I’m sure you need to start getting ready for work. If so, I need to call a cab since my manager dropped me off here last night.”

                “Well, I probably should get ready for work. Did you have anything scheduled for today?” Jayne asked.

                “Crud. I’m sure Hoon and Dongho are wondering why I never showed up last night. Hope they don’t suspect anything. I should be heading back. I hope they’re still asleep.” Soohyun said as he reached for his phone. He held up his phone gesturing to Jayne if it was okay to make the call. She nodded her head and he excused himself to call a cab. Soohyun returned a few minutes later as he helped Jayne clean off the dining room table and the kitchen.

                “How long do you have to wait?” Jayne asked after they both finished.

                “About 10-20 minutes. Not too bad.” Soohyun said. They both stared at each other awkwardly as silence filled the room.

                “Mew…mew mew.” Jinx cried as she made her way down the hallway.

                “Jinxy!” Jayne said as she ran out of the room and scooped her up. She nuzzled Jinx’s face up against her neck and after planting a kiss on her nose, walked back into the kitchen where she handed her over to Soohyun. Soohyun smiled at her gesture and started Jinx’s neck and back. Jayne reached up in the cabinet and found a can of kitten food and opened the lid to place it in her bowl. Both of them giggled and watched in awe at Jinx chowing down on her food. After she was done, Jinx was in a playful mood and Soohyun and Jayne were playing along when a cab horn sounded outside. Soohyun stood up and made sure he had what he needed to head back to his apartment. Jayne led him over to her door as he put his shoes on.

                “Well, I guess I’ll be waiting to hear from you then. I hope you have a good week.” Soohyun said as Jayne slightly nodded her head. “I’m so sorry things happened the way they did. You know I never meant to harm you in any way.”

                “You didn’t. What happened was out of your control.” Jayne said. It took all of his strength to not grab her and kiss her passionately. He didn’t want to confuse Jayne further by doing so. He opened up his arms slightly and Jayne immediately drew closer. His arms gently held her body and he placed a butterfly kiss on the crown of her head. It was the hardest decision to make, but after he withdrew his arms, he opened the door and stepped out, bowing slightly before making his way down to the cab waiting on him. Jayne closed the door and just stood there wondering if she did the right thing by telling him she needed space. She had a lot to think about and a week to decide their fate.