Crestfallen

A Friend's Love Story

It was the end of the week, Friday night. Chaeyeon and Kris were accustomed to have a late movie night in this day every week. Kris stretch his long arms and yawns when he finally finishes a document of his work. He wanders around the Working Area to see if Chaeyeon is already done on her own work.

 

He saw Chaeyeon rubbing her temples while reading some documents, and she looks stressed about her work. A big number of stacks of files were still on her desk. Kris just starred at her with agony though Chaeyeon was still oblivious on who was starring at her.

 

*Pity Chaeyeon.* Kris thought, glancing at every detail of her face. Chaeyeon's forehead deforms into a frown and she doesn't look pleased, all because of her work.

 

*She's still pretty when she's stressed.* He then walks going to his own area and just seats on it. His phone ring and he immediately digs it inside his pocket. The message is from Chaeyeon.

 

To: Kris

Are you already done on you work? You can go ahead if you want.. I'll just follow you tonight on movies. :)

From: Chaeyeon

 

To: Chaeyeon

Ok, I'll heading first. Just meet me up at Seoul Central Mall when you're already done. Text me if you're already done :)

From: Kris

 

He shot his phone closed then bring it back on his pocket. Few seconds after, he turns off his computer and he's ready to go.

 

---

 

An hour and a half later, Chaeyeon was already done on her stressful work. She blow a relieving sigh then gingerly arrange the papers on her desk. She shut her computer off then grab her belongings. She was about to go when she heard someone calls her name in a soothing voice.

 

She lifted up her head only to see her boss, MinJae having a smile flustered against his face. 

 

"You're still up?"

"Uh, I was about to go actually, Mr. Le-- I mean, MinJae when you called me."

"Oh sorry. But there's still some papers you have to fix here." He hands out some papers from his hands. Chaeyeon can't believe this, after that nerve-wracking papers, here he is giving some new load of works. She just look away, hiding her dissappointment. Her boss chuckles.

"Just kidding. It's done already by some of your officemates. I was just kidding, you know."

 

*Very funny, very funny.* She thought. Her lips broke into a fake smile.

 

"Since you're still up, will you join me?" His boss abruptly asked. 

"Sorry MinJae, but I have someone to meet up." She stands up.

"I'm you're boss, right? Why aren't you following me?" He corners Chaeyeon then gazes directly at her with her ever so fierce eyes. 

"But this is another case. So, will you excuse me, I'm already leaving." She removes his arms, she's starting to get piss already.

 

When she was already at the door of their office, she stop when her boss speaks up all of a sudden.

 

"You know, I just wanna have someone to talk to. I've been depressed lately. I just thought you were a person I can actually share to. But looks like I'm wrong." He said. 

 

Her conscience wins over. She just can't stand it when someone is being like this. It's giving her a thought of guilt. Besides, she knew Kris would understand her at this situation. 

 

---

 

Kris was rubbing her hands together to ease the coldness he felt. He was standing outside a mall, waiting for Chaeyeon. He checks his wrist watch for the time, and it's getting late already. It's getting him worried about her. He nervously fiddled his hands then take a seat on a nearby bench. He only just wish she's safe and sound right now. 

 

He buys a box of dumplings. It was both their favorite snacks. He knew Chaeyeon would love it so he save some pieces for her. Then, he takes a bite on one of it's pieces.

 

---

 

After a couple of minutes, Chaeyeon and MinJae arrived on a restaurant. They sat on a seat infront of a huge transparent mirror. The twinkling night lights of Seoul flashes infront of them as if it were million stars in the galaxy. And she can only stare at this breath-taking scenery. She was too busy on her work to appreciate how beautiful Seoul is until today she finally had nice glimpse of it.

 

"Like it?" He chuckles. Chaeyeon just nods.

"I used to come here.. alone." His voice sinks.

"Don't you have friends?"

"You know, I'm a lonely man. But don't worry, it's still bearable." He flashes a smile. Minjae is a boy with smiles. Chaeyeon wouldn't see him never has his smile along with him. But Chaeyeon is completely oblivious on what lies behind this smile.

"Where's your parents, anyway?" She suddenly blurts out.

"They're.. dead. That's how they inherited to me the company." 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." She was starring at him with clemency.

"No, it's alright. There's no need to be sorry. Atleast I was able to express this." He pricks a meat by his fork and eat it.

 

Now, she admires how he still managed to act normal despite the problems he faced. It's only now that she have thought how strong man he is.

 

"Why aren't you eating?" He suddenly asked. Chaeyeon gets back from her own daze then gets back on her food.

 

Their conversation expands into a profound one, they both hadn't get record of the time because they both enjoy talking with each other.

 

---

 

On a cue, the movie house was closed already but Kris is still waiting for Chaeyeon. Little by little, the dumplings depleted it's number. He text messages to Chaeyeon multiple times already, but she wouldn't respond. He yawns, he can feel his eyelids getting heavy already.

 

---

 

Minjae offers Chaeyeon for a walk. They were now walking side-by-side until they reaches a familiar place. It's the Seoul Central Mall. It suddenly strike her about Kris. She forgot to text him about her not going on their late night movie. She gets her phone from her pocket then hastily text him.

 

Chaeyeon doesn't have any idea that Kris already saw them. His eyes saddened, for unknown reasons. He's not just pleased seeing them. He doesn't know why he doesn't feel pleased about seeing her getting fun with him. Another thing he was not pleased is because Chaeyeon didn't text him about it. He just hangs his head low and pretends he didn't see them with his crestfallen heart.

 

Chaeyeon bites her lower lip when she saw how many text messages Kris sent.. 30 text messages. His messages obviously shows how worried he is. She types a message but she again bites her lips when realizing the effect of it to Kris.

 

 She can't say straightly that the reason was that she meets up with Minjae. She erases her current message then instatly replace it. Besides, she can explain the whole reason when she sees him personally.

 

To: Kris

I'm sorry, I cannot go on the movies. I have to go somewhere.

From: Chaeyeon

 

*Go somewhere, huh.* Kris thought. He doesn't know why he was hurt. He stands up, he didn't mind that he leaves the box of dumplings. He abruptly leaves the place with his heavy heart. Coincidentally, Minjae offers Chaeyeon to sit on a bench that Kris previously sat. Chaeyeon saw the familiar dumpling both her and Kris' favorite.

 

*Kris?* She thought.

"Just wait me here, huh. I'll just go find someone." She instructs Minjae.

"Who's that person? Can I help?"

"No no. I can handle it. Just wait for a moment." She insisted. Minjae then nodded.

 

She wanders around the street to look out for him. Her eyes keeps on travelling around the place. Several minutes later, she still can't find him and she assume that he already left, making her guilt rushing through her body.

 

*I'm sorry, Kris.* She thought.