The Conflict

6 Ways To Love

 

“Hyebyul ah, we’re here,” Zelo looked slightly over his shoulder to see if the little one on his back was still sleeping. After a long day at the carnival, her legs gave way while walking home and Zelo offered to piggyback her. Little did he know she was that exhausted.

 

Hyebyul groaned softly and rubbed her eyes before getting off his back. “Good night oppa,” she waved with one hand while rubbing one of her eyes with the other. “Good night Hyebyul,” he bid her back and let out a chuckle upon seeing her cutely shuffling her feet to her room with her eyes partially closed.

 

Hyeyoung smiled, pleased to see him showing affection for her sister. Their parents had divorced when Hyebyul was only three and since then, she hadn’t felt a father’s love like many daughters do. Seeing how comfortable Zelo was getting along with Hyebyul and how he treated her, Hyeyoung felt her heart flutter a little. For a young man, she thought he possessed the qualities of a grown-up and though it surprised her, she loved that about him.

 

Zelo turned to her and she quickly snapped out of her thoughts. “Good night noona.” He softly gazed at her with a smile she thought was fit for a gentleman like him. She reached out a hand and placed it on his left cheek as a way to tell him how much she appreciated the day with him and Hyebyul. She noted how Zelo had interpreted her gesture precisely when he replied, “You’re welcome, noona.” He gently caressed her hand, causing them to smile in silence before Hyeyoung withdrew to make her way inside.

 

As he made his way home, Zelo couldn’t help but think about Hyeyoung and the things they had in common. He wondered how Hyeyoung, being deaf, could support both her sister and mother by working as a florist. He thought about the sacrifices she had to make for her family and she somehow reminded him of his own older brother. Last time, he may have only admired her for her beauty, but after knowing her more closely, he felt the need to keep her and take care of her and her family. But he couldn’t place a finger on what exactly the feeling was. Is this what they call love? He kept asking himself as he strolled his way down the streets.

 

He was crossing the street to his apartment when a loud yell awoke his senses. “Himchan! Stop! What the hell are you doing? Stop!”

 

Knowing Himchan’s house was around the corner, he knew right away who the yells were directed at and ran towards the noise without hesitation. “Himchan hyung!” He called out, witnessing Himchan grabbing someone by the collar; the face of the person bruised and nose flowing with blood. Zelo’s eyes rounded in surprise and he quickly rushed over to pull Himchan away from the one beaten up, who immediately got into his car and drove off as soon as he was free from the angered man’s clutches.

 

“H-hyung, noona. W-what happened?” Zelo asked in frantic. He saw Himchan glaring at Chohee, his chest rapidly moving outwards and in each time he breathed deeply to catch his breath. There was a moment of silence, until Himchan finally stormed off to his apartment.

 

Zelo then turned to Chohee, whom he had never seen crying so badly before. “Noona,” he cooed, placing a hand around her shoulders. “You better go home, Junhong. Your brother will be worried. Noona’s gonna be fine. It’s just a misunderstanding. We’ll talk things out. Thanks for your help,” she gave him a weak smile and pecked his cheek before following after Himchan.

 

When she had gone up, he continued his way home and vowed to keep the matter from his brother just so things wouldn’t get complicated. Seeing Himchan in such a rage, he knew something terrible must’ve happened but that, he thought, wasn’t for him to know.