Unexpected

6 Ways To Love

 

“Mind if I take a seat?” Daehyun politely asked, at the same time hoping he wouldn’t scare her away. She was surprised by the sudden voice and quickly looked away. “S-sure,” she stuttered, having talked to by a handsome stranger. Daehyun thought her reaction was cute. He sat down carefully, bringing his knees close to his chest so he could rest his arms on them. It was obvious that he was as nervous as she was, but he knew he had to take the lead. He cleared his throat for the second time and began to converse – though rather awkwardly.

 

“I didn’t mean to scare you. I came from the other side of the tree and I’ve always heard you sing,” he paused, turning slowly to face her. He noticed she had been hiding her face, not sure if it was because she was shy or because she had something to hide. But regardless, he still wanted to tell her sincerely. “I think your voice is beautiful.” He smiled while looking down, not wanting to be caught looking like a happy fool.

 

What he couldn’t see however, on the other side, her face was frowning. She wasn’t sad, neither was she happy. But tears began to fill her eyes. His words meant so much to her as no one had ever complimented her before. As much as she wanted to thank him, she just couldn’t bring herself to do it. “I’m sorry, I should go.” She picked up her guitar to walk away. Instinctively, Daehyun grabbed her hand. “Wait! If you could at least tell me your name…” he pleaded. She halted to finally face the earnest-looking stranger. “Choi Minyoung. My name’s Choi Minyoung.” She firmly, but softly answered.

 

A sudden breeze blew her hair out of her face, revealing features Daehyun hadn’t seen before. She could see how Daehyun’s expressions – although not obvious – were in shock. Startled, she pulled her hair back in place and fled with her guitar. Daehyun stood silently, wondering if he had been rude to her in any way. In the midst of confusion, he slowly began to understand why she had her face hidden all this time. ‘I like you for who you are. The scar won’t stop me from liking you, Choi Minyoung…’ He smiled, with even more determination to win her heart.

 

-----

 

“Are you ready?” Chohee whispered in Himchan’s ear, causing him to giggle. Himchan lifted his shoulders and rubbed his ear. “Ah, that tickles! Hurry! I can’t wait to see what you prepared!”

 

Chohee stood before her boyfriend and slowly took the blindfold off. “Tadah! Happy white day, baby!” She gently kissed him on the lips. Himchan gawked at the surroundings. His apartment was filled with white and pink balloons everywhere. White lily petals were scattered all over his khaki sofa, and scented candles – which he thought smelled like her – were lit up in different corners of the living room. His gaze softened when he finally looked into the eyes of the person behind it all. “Chohee ah, you did all this just for today?” he asked admiringly.

 

“Because I love you,” she simply answered. “And I’m glad I met you,” she smiled. Himchan leaned in and gently kissed her plump lips. For a moment, they had a taste of each other, translating all the love they shared. They haven’t dated for long, but Himchan had taken care of her for a month before they officially dated. Himchan sympathized with her for having lost her parents in a car accident - the same way he lost Sojin. After living together, they realized how significant they were in each other’s lives. They were 'fated to be together', Himchan thought.

 

Himchan broke the kiss when he suddenly heard the doorbell. “Did you invite someone?” he asked while making his way to the door. Lo-and-behold, the person at the door was none other than his best friend Yongguk, who came with DVDs in his hands. “Movies after dinner, anyone?”

 

Himchan stared blankly at Yongguk and turned to give his girlfriend a look. “Are you serious now? We’re spending our white day with my best friend? Wouldn’t he be like a third wheel?”

 

“Hey, I didn’t say it was gonna be a romantic night,” Chohee chuckled. “I thought he’d be lonely, so I invited him over for dinner.”

 

“Good to know at least one of you cares about me,” he playfully glared at Himchan and welcomed himself into the house, like he always does. Himchan laughed to himself – or rather at Yongguk for being so attached to him – as he looked forward to an interesting white day evening with the two people who mean the world to him.