Teddy Bear

6 Ways To Love

 

Special guests? He recalled what his mom had told him over the phone. Youngjae stood outside his home, wondering if the guests have arrived. He figured his mom probably invited some old friends over for tea.  It couldn’t be a relative, could it? Youngjae gave it a thought before nodding to himself. It can’t be. None of his relatives live in Korea – apart from his cousins, Yongguk and Zelo - and why wouldn’t his mom mention about it sooner if their relatives were coming? He didn’t know why he was nervous, but the fact that his mom kept the identity of the guests had left him with a negative intuition.

 

Youngjae could’ve entered with his own house keys, but no. He purposely pressed the doorbell so his mom would be welcoming him at the door, saving some awkward moments if the guests were already in the living room.



“Welcome back, honey!” The way his mom was being extra cheerful immediately told him she – or they - had been waiting for his return. She gave him a quick peck on the cheek and ushered him to the center of the room. “Say hello to our guests, Youngjae. I’m sure you remember Mrs Jung and our dear Woojin, don’t you?”

 

Woojin? Jung Woojin? Youngjae froze. At the mention of her name, a sudden gush of memories brought him back to the time he knew her. Their families were neighbours, and his mom would make them walk to school together. They were close; but all he could remember was how much he disliked her. He remembered how he was always second in school because she would perform better. She was known for her looks and brains and would always brag about it – not to anyone else but – to him. There were also times whenever he had candy, she would trick him into giving it to her or result in pulling his hair so he’d give it up. She was exactly how Youngjae imagined if he had a brat for a younger sister; though they were both the same age.

 

“Nice to meet you,” he bowed slightly. As he lifted his head, he noticed how much she had changed –well, physically. Her hair, which barely touched her shoulders then, was now flowing halfway down her back. He guessed she had her hair slightly permed and dyed it in apricot, which he thought suited her fair and clear skin. The girl-next-door he knew has matured into a lady, he thought. Youngjae snapped out of his daze when he heard a soft, lady-like voice he didn’t expect to hear.

 

“How have you been?” She smiled. Youngjae stood awkwardly with a weak smile, cupping his hands together. “Fine,” he vaguely answered.

 

“Why don’t you two catch up for now? I have some muffins baked in the oven. Would you like to come with me? I’d love to show you my beautiful kitchen!” She gestured Mrs Jung to tag along.

 

The two were now seated on the couch, not sure if at loss for words or just shy to begin the conversation. Being the bolder one among them, Woojin voiced out. “You’ve lost weight. I guess I can’t call you teddy now,” she smirked.
 

“Why, isn’t that a nice thing to say to someone you just met in five years?” Youngjae replied. “Speaking of which, someone seems more feminine now. Nothing I could imagine five years ago,” he snickered.

 

Woojin let out a chuckle, knowing how right he was. “I guess we both changed for the better?” Youngjae nodded and smiled. Things have indeed seemed to have changed for the better as far as he could see.

 

“You free tonight?” He asked.


“Aren’t you taking this a little too quickly?” She replied.

 

He poked the side of her head. “You wish. There’s sort of a music festival going on tonight. Wanna come with me? I’ll show you around,” he turned to her for an answer.

 

“Still sounds like you’re asking me out, though. But sure, I’ll go with you,” she smiled, passing it on to Youngjae, who smiled along to her answer.