C H A P T E R 17

Step By Step

"The doctor said…you’re…pregnant," he whispered. I stopped crying and backed away from the hug.

"What?" I eyed him.

"You’re pregnant," he was smiling brightly now.

"Is this a joke?" I asked. "You know I don’t like those baby related conversations."

"I’m not joking with you," he said. "You’re really pregnant! Look here!"

He took out a picture and showed it to me. I looked at it and widen my eyes.

"Really?" I asked and looked at him. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

"We’re having our own baby at last," he said and held my hand.

"B-but the doctor," i said.

"He said he didn't know why, but it just happened to be so," Youngjae replied.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders.

"We’ll know soon though," he said. After awhile, we left the hospital and got home. I called Hyosung and told her.

"YOU’RE REALLY PREGNANT?!" she screamed.

"Yes unnie! I’m so happy!" I screamed back.

"We’re going to have a celebration party," I heard Youngjae talking on his phone.

"I heard that," Hyosung said. "Tell me the details of the party, so me and Gikwang can come. Did you tell umma yet?"

"Ahni, I’ll do it now," I said.

"Ok, I’m happy for you Hyoin-ah~" Hyosung said. "I’m trusting you with Youngjae this time."

"Thanks unnie," I smiled. "Bye~"

She bid goodbye and hung up. I called my umma.

"Hyoin?" she answered.

"Umma!" I yelled.

"HYOIN!" she yelled back. "Is something wrong? Why are you yelling?"

"UMMA!" I screamed more.

"Tell me sweetie! And stop yelling!" she said.

"I’m soo happy umma~" I said.

"About what?"

"You can’t believe it!"

"What is it?"

"We’re going to have a celebration party~"

"Just get to the point sweetie!"

"Oh deh~ sorry. Well umma…I’M PREGNANT!" I yelled across the phone.

"You’re lying?"

"I’M REALLY PREGNANT UMMA!"

"REALLY?! AGAIN?!"

"Why do you make is sound so horrible?"

"I’M JUST HAPPY FOR YOU!"

"Thank you umma."

"Now let me talk with Youngjae."

"Uh…he’s still talking with his friends," I said looking at Youngjae yelling across the phone.

"Get him on the phone now." My mother sounded so serious.

"Deh." I said and walked over to Youngjae. "Youngjae yeobo~"

"Hm?" he asked covering his phone.

"My umma wants to talk with you," I said.

"Hold up," he told his friend and handed me the phone. "Talk with Jong Up." He took my phone and started talking. I took his phone.

"Jong Up?" I asked.

"Oh Hyoin," he sounded surprised.

"Youngjae told you?" I asked.

"Ah deh! Me and Jiki are very happy for you~" he said.

"Omo, is that Hyoin unnie on the phone?~" I could hear Jiki. "Let me talk with herrr~~~"

"Ok, here," I heard some crumbly noise then a sweet voice.

"Hello Hyoin unnie!~" Jiki said.

"Hello Jiki-ah~"

"So I heard, well we heard, and oh my! We’re so happy for you! I mean like we have to go and get something big for the baby! So what are you going to name the baby?"

"Name…I don’t know yet,"

"Text MY phone when you get the baby’s name ok? I’m going to get something so good for that baby!"

"You don’t have to,"

"No no no! I’m going to buy it still!"

"Can you give me the phone?" I heard Jong Up.

"Wait I’m still talking to unnie, ok so where was I again…oh yeah, also text me the party details and date! I don’t want to show up on the wrong day or show up late."

"Deh~"

"Here Jong Uppie~"

"Hyoin?"

"Deh, it’s still me," I said.

"I just wanted to add something,"

"What would that be?"

"If you ever need anything or help you know me and Jiki are always free. Sometimes Youngjae can be a jerk and an , but that’s how men are. You can call me or Jiki and tell us things that are on your mind or when you need some help. We got your back ok?"

"Deh~ you’ve always been a good friend Jong Up," I smiled. "And so did Jiki."

"Is Youngjae there?" he asked. I looked around and spotted Youngjae smiling brightly at me.

"Yes, he’s being a scary creeper," I laughed and handed the phone towards him.

"I’ll call you later," Youngjae said and hung up the phone.

"Hey, that wasn’t very nice," I said and pinched his cheeks.

"Stop doing that~" he whined. "You know it hurts!"

"I can’t help it, you’re cheeks are so chubby~" I laughed and poked it this time.

"Do you think our baby’s cheeks are going to be chubby too?" he asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Maybe," I said and plant a kiss on his lips. "So what did you two talk about?"

"She’s just telling me to take care of you and our baby," Youngjae replied.

"So the name," I said and sat down on the sofa. I grabbed a paper and pen.

"If it’s a girl…" I said.

"We can name it Yoojin again," Youngjae said and sat down next to me.

"Ahni, Yoojin was already our first baby’s name," I said. "A new one."

"How about…Jae-in?" he asked. I thought about the name and wrote it down.

"If it’s a boy…" I said. "Oh Jaehyo."

Youngjae smiled and peck my cheeks.

"Jaehyo it is," he said. "Then he can take over my company when I’m old."

I laughed and kissed his cheek.

"I’m hun-," I said. "I mean we’re hungry." I held onto my stomach.

Youngjae helped me up and we enter the kitchen. He cooked food that was healthy for me and our baby. He finished and placed the plate on the table.

"Say aww~" he said and placed the spoon in front of my mouth. I took a bite and smiled.

"It's delicious!~" i said. After eating, we set up the date for the party. We planned for it to be next week on Saturday during the afternoon. When i finished writing down everything and texting everybody we know, Youngjae stood up while pulling me along with him.

"What is it?" i asked.

"Follow me," he replied and dragged me away. He stopped in front of the door that was kept locked.

"Why are we in front of the furniture closet?" i asked confused.

"It's not a furniture closet, it was suppose to be Yoojin's room," he replied opening the door. Youngjae the lights. I widen my eyes as it began to get watery. The room's walls were painted pastel yellow. There was a cutely decorated crib by the window that had letter carvings spelling out Yoojin's name. There was a small desk with a small chair and many stuff animals on a nearby shelf. Then something caught my eyes. There was a photo album on the small desk. I went over and sat down on the small chair. I looked at it closely and read the title.

"Our Baby Yoojin..." I opened it and saw the screening picture of Yoojin from each check up i had. "I thought you would throw these away..."

"I didn't want to," Youngjae said walking over and kneeled down beside me. "This is going to be our new baby's room."

"Then we're going to have it clean," i smiled.

"Tomorrow," Youngjae added. "Because i'm tired."

"But i'm not,"

"Don't even think about it," he said and carried me up bridal style. "Let's go sleep~~~"

I laughed and nodded my head as he walked out the baby room. He entered the room and put me down. We then fell asleep.

 

+~+

 

 [7 Months Later…]

*3rd Person POV*

“WHAT?!” Youngjae screamed. “I’M ON MY WAY!”

Youngjae entered his car happily and drove off to the hospital. Hyoin’s due date was finally here. He arrived and ran to the room she was at. Their family waited outside for her. Youngjae was happy, excited, and worried at the same time. He couldn’t sit or stand still. He walked back and forth. After almost seem like hours, the doctor came out.

“She successfully delivered,” he said. “It’s a boy.”

Youngjae didn’t replied but hugged the doctor tightly while screaming.

“Thank you so much!!!” he yelled.

“Uhm, you may now see her,” the doctor said. Youngjae ran in first. The nurse had placed the baby boy next to his sleeping mother.

“Hyoin-ah~” he smiled and walked towards her. He picked up his son. “Jaehyo.”

Hyoin slowly woke up and looked at Youngjae.

“It’s a boy,” Youngjae said showing the baby to her. She smiled and touched the baby’s cheek.

“Jaehyo~” she said and smiled.

“Have some rest Hyoin-ah~” Youngjae said.

 

+~+

 

[5 years Later]

*Hyoin’s POV*

“You can set that over here,” I told the deliverers. They did as followed and placed the new sculpture in the place I wanted.

“Thank you,” I bowed. They bowed back and left.

“UMMA!” I heard a cute voice. I smiled and turned to know who exactly the voice belonged to.

“Jaehyo-aegi!” I smiled and bent down spreading my arms. Jaehyo came running towards me and into my arms. I carried him up and kissed his cheek. I look at the door and saw Youngjae walking towards us.

“My, your father is such a slow poke,” I said and laughed.

“Appa is a slow poke!” Jaehyo said cutely.

“Y-yah! Don’t say that!” Youngjae said speeding up his speed towards us.

“Umma, appa said we’re going to go eat good food,” Jaehyo said.

“Yes, when umma gets her break sweetie,” I said handing him to Youngjae. “It’s only 11.”

“But umma~” Jaehyo pouted.

“It’s just in an hour,” I said going back to work. I took glances and saw that Youngjae was whispering something to Jaehyo’s ear. I went back to work and continued.

“Mrs. Yoo!” I heard Kaeri. I turned to look at her.

“What happened?” I asked.

“There’s someone outside talking trash about his museum,” Kaeri said. “And he won’t go away.”

“What?” I asked and walked outside. I looked around and there was no one.

“Kaeri I though you sai-,” I turned to see Youngjae and Jaehyo laughing.

“Let’s go eat umma!~” Jaehyo said. I sighed and nodded. Youngjae smiled and intertwined his hand with mine. We left to eat delicious food and then to the park. Youngjae decided to have a dinner party with his friends.

“Aunt Hyoin! Uncle Youngjae! Jaehyo!” the little kids ran towards us and gave us a hug.

“Yongji, Chanhee, Saehyun, Jongki,” I said each of their names. “And of course I won’t forget baby Junli.”

All the kids ran off to play with Tiki while the parents stayed in the living room to chat.

“It’s good to rest for a bit,” I said lying on Youngjae’s chest as he back hugged me.

“This is the only rest you’ll get,” Yong Guk said. Everyone burst into laughter. It was good to see them all smiling. We spent our time resting when Junli started to cry. Ali did her best to calm her down but she wouldn’t stop. Junhong took her from Ali and rock her nicely side to side.

“Shhh~ Junli-aegi~ appa is here~” he said. “Do you want appa to rap for you?”

Junhong then started rapping softly.

“Yah, who raps to a baby?” Himchan asked. It was funny because Junli started to calm down and laugh at Junhong.

“UMMA! APPA!” all the kids came running into the living room. We all turned to look at our kids.

“What’s wrong?” Himchan asked.

“Let’s all play hide-and-go-seek!~” Yongji said.

“Yah Yongji~ appa is tired!” Yong Guk complained. Yongji pouted and went to Jieun.

“Umma~ tell appa to play~” Yongji said. Jieun smiled and look at Yong Guk. He sighed and nodded his head.

“YAY!”

“You guys are it!” Jaehyo said. “We hide!”

“W-what?!” Youngjae watched at Jaehyo and the others ran off.

“Look at him, being smart like his daddy,” Himchan laughed getting up. He and Sunhee then went off to look for Chanhee. The others got up one by one to look for their kid.

“Come on!” Youngjae said and grabbed my hand. He ran off to look for Jaehyo.

“Jaehyo!” Youngjae yelled.

“Jaehyo-aegi~” I yelled softly.

“APPA’S COMING FOR YOU!”

We searched almost the whole house. Youngjae was still looking when I spotted a pair of feet showing by the curtains. I recognize them clearly. I tapped Youngjae’s shoulder and pointed to the feet. He crazily smiled and tip-toed to the curtains. He pulled it aside and grabbed Jaehyo into a hug.

“AHA GOTCHA!” he yelled standing up. I smiled and walked up to them.

“Appa found you~” I said poking his chubby cheeks.

“I’m it now,” Jaehyo said. “Umma and appa go hide~”

Youngjae put him down and dragged me off. I glanced at Jaehyo as he covered his eyes and counted numbers incorrectly. I couldn’t help but laugh. Youngjae then stopped and pushed a button. The portrait slide to the side and he pulled me in. It closed as we sat down on the carpet floor. It was the recording room, the only room where Jaehyo didn’t know about and wasn’t allowed in.

“Now we can sleep,” Youngjae said pulling me down with him. We were lying on the carpet floor tired from all the energy used. We stayed like that for a long couple of minutes.

“I love you,” I said out of the blue and got up to look at his face. He smiled as his chubby cheeks showed.

“I love you too~” he said and kissed my lips. I heard a click and the door slide opened.

“I found your parents Jaehyo!~” Yong Guk said. “They’re doing private stuff.”

We broke apart and sat up. Jaehyo was standing by the door. Tears welled up in his eyes.

“Omo~ Jaehyo~” I said. He ran towards me and hugged me tightly.

“What happen to you sweetie?” I looked at his face.

“He told us he searched the whole house,” Yong Guk said. “Jong Up found him crying in your guy’s room.”

“I thought you two left me,” Jaehyo said through the cries.

“Ah don’t cry~” I said caressing his hair. “Umma and appa would never leave you behind. We love you so much~”

“Come to appa~” Youngjae said spreading his arms. Jaehyo wiped away his tears and jumped into his arms.

“Appa is sorry,” he said. “We will never do this again.”

Jaehyo nodded his head. Soon after everyone left home, we tucked Jaehyo into his bed.

“Goodnight sweetie~” I said and kissed his cheeks.

“Night Jaehyo~” Youngjae kissed his forehead. He yawned and fell asleep. We left out of his room.

“It’s been a long day,” I said stretching my arms. Suddenly I was lifted up. Youngjae carried me bridal style to our room.

“Have you been working out with Jong Up?” I asked feeling his muscle. “Or are these just fats?”

“Yah,” Youngjae said stopping his in tracks. “I have been working out, and it’s not with Jong Up.”

“Arra, let’s go to sleep~” I said. “Go to the bed!”

Youngjae laughed and started walking again into our room. We changed clothes and went to sleep on our bed.

“Today was a fun day,” I told him. He nodded and pulled me closer to him.

“Sleep well Hyoin-ah~” he kissed my forehead.

“You too yeobo~” I said and hugged him.