C H A P T E R 1

Step By Step

I slowly opened my eyes and saw a familiar figure.

"Hyoin-ah!" the person called. My vision got clearer and I finally recognize the face.

"Hyosung unnie," I said, my voice sounded weak. "W-where am i?"

"You’re home of course," she smiled. I slowly got up and sat straight.

"What happened to me?" I asked.

"You forgot?" Hyosung said tilting her head. I tried hard to remember but nothing popped up. I nodded my head.

"You fainted at your wedding," she replied not even looking at me in the eyes.

"My wedding?" I was shocked. Since when did I get married? Especially with WHO?

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused.

"We were all worried about you," Hyosung said her voice sounded weirder this time. "Yoo Youngjae is your husband’s name."

"Then where is he right now?" I asked trying to make eye contact with her.

"H-he’s at work," she replied and stood up. "Are you hungry?"

"Not right now," I replied.

"I’ll go get you some water," she replied quickly and left downstairs.

Once she left the room, I stood up and walked to the mirror. I looked at myself.

If I fainted, why is my forehead wrapped. And why is Hyosung unnie acting so weird. Something else must’ve happened. And Yoo Youngjae’s my husband. I don’t even know how he looks like. To be more specific, I don’t even know who he is.

I stopped and looked at my counter. There has to be something in here to help me.

I searched everywhere but found nothing. Suddenly a yellow envelope fell to the floor. I got down to my knees and grabbed the envelope. I opened it and read the letter.

 

 

What is this? Our wedding invitation card? I turned to the wall and looked at the calendar. It’s only April. How can I be married already when my wedding isn’t till next month? Are they hiding something away from me?

The door suddenly opened and Hyosung enter with a tall blonde guy following her.

"Oh why are you on the floor Hyoin-ah~" Hyosung asked and came to help me up.

"Unnie, explain this," I said handing her the envelope.

"What is this?" she asked looking at it. Her expressions changed.

"My- I mean the wedding that I don’t even know about is not held till next month," I said and looked at her weirdly. "Is there something I don’t know?"

"Oh this," she started to laugh awkwardly. "This is your wedding invitation that was incorrect."

"Then why did your expression change?" I asked. She suddenly stopped.

"Well I thought it was something else that’s why," she said and smiled. "Well this is your husband, Yoo Youngjae."

"Don’t change subjects please unnie," I said. "I’m trying to get everything clear here. I’m confused and you being my unnie, is not even helping me one bit."

"Hyoin-ah," the so called husband called my name. I turned and looked at him. His face seemed pale, and he looked like he’s been depressed for years. He grabbed my wrist and smiled. "What are you trying to get cleared?"

I slowly removed his hands.

"I want to know who you are, why i'm married to you," I said straight towards him. "I want to know what happened before I woke up. I want to know everything, because it’s confusing!"

"We married because we were in love," he said. "Everything was going fine, until you fainted that day at our wedding."

"Then why is my forehead covered like this?" I asked. "Fainting doesn’t cause this!"

"Hyoin!" Hyosung yelled because of my sudden change in voice. "Maybe you just have a lot of things running in your head. Go get some sleep and you’ll be better later."

"I can barely sleep now," I replied. "And I’ve been asleep for who knows how long."

They both stared at each other and back at me. I looked at Youngjae. I took off the ring that was on my finger and put it on his palm.

"I’m sorry, but I have to figure everything out before I can live a life with someone I don’t even know," I said and walked out of the door.

"Hyoin! Where are you going?!" Hyosung yelled following me. I started to run this time. I ran out the door of the house. The sun was bright and the day was hot. There’s only one person left that I trust. My friend, Jong Up. I couldn’t get in the bus since I don’t have money on me right now. So I walked into a crowd of people, so Hyosung or Youngjae couldn’t see me. I saw that they were nowhere in sight, so I walked to the dance studio Jong Up always dance at. I entered and saw him.

"Jong Up!" I smiled and ran to hug him.

"H-hyoin noona?" he looked at me as if I was dead and back alive again.

"I need your help," I said. He pause the music and sat down with me.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

"I just woke up not long ago," I replied. "Hyosung unnie told me I married this guy name Yoo Youngjae. She said I fainted at my wedding. I’m all confused. I don’t even know who this Yoo Youngjae is. And it looked like the two were hiding something away from me. Do you know what it is?"

"Uh…" Jong Up said.

"Are you with them too?" I asked.

"Look, noona, I think it’s best to go with what Hyosung said," he said.

"Jong Up, you’re the only one left that I can trust," I pleaded. "Can you please please tell me?"

Jong Up stood up and walked away to his bag. He came back with his ipad in his hand and placed right in front of me.

"This is my only way of helping you," Jong Up said. "You used to put down daily notes on my ipad because you always forget to bring yours with you. I hope they help."

I smiled and hugged Jong Up tightly. "Thank you Jong Up-ah!"

I started searching through the stuff i wrote on Jong Up’s ipad.

"I’m going to get some water."

I nodded my head as I scroll down. Suddenly Jong Up came back with a shocked face.

"Hyosung and Youngjae are here," he said. I widened my eyes.

"What do we do?" I whispered.

"Um…hide in the closet for now," Jong Up said pushing me towards one of the back closets. He opened it and pushed me in. The closet wasn’t so big; it barely fit me in it. I heard Hyosung’s voice followed with Youngjae’s. I quickly remembered about the notes. I pulled up the ipad up to my face and started reading.

"Today was fun~ We were practing some dances and Jong Up taught me new moves! Youngjae was just adorable. He kept messing up, but i'm glad to see him getting better. We ate chicken for lunch and Yong Guk oppa told me today that he was jealous of me and Youngjae oppa's relationship."

Suddenly I heard something crack.

"Why did you do that?!" I heard Jong Up’s voice raised. Soon punching and thuds followed with Hyosung’s scream. It was getting a little difficult to breathe in the small space. And now something was pushed onto the closet door. I could hear the voices clearly.

"Why won’t you just tell her?!" Jong Up’s voice sounded furious. "Why are you all trying to hide it away from her?! She suffered enough already! YOU, my friend, is her husband! Don’t keep her in a state like this! I hate to see her this way!"

"You don’t know how she’ll react after knowing what she lost," Youngjae’s voiced sounded weak. "Especially since I was the one that caused it!"

"ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MAN UP!" I could hear another huge thud. My stomach started to ach and I started to feel light headed. Suddenly I fell and the closet door opened.

"HYOIN!" I could hear their voices. I then felt a pair of warm arms around me.

"Hyoin! Are you okay?" the voice belonged to Youngjae. My stomach started to ach again. I held it and winced in pain. I was suddenly raised and bridal carried out the door. Youngjae placed me in the back seats of the car with Hyosung holding onto my hand. I felt the car moved and soon everything was pitched black.