C H A P T E R 15

Step By Step

The following day, I decided to go to Juli’s baby shower, but Youngjae wouldn’t let me.

"You’ve suffered enough from the others," he said. "I don’t want to see you like that."

"But she wanted me to go," I said.

"I’ll go drop off the gift," he said. "You stay home."

"Fine…" I said. "Tell her that I’m sorry I couldn’t go…because of you."

"You know I’m doing this to protect you," Youngjae said and pecked my lips. He left with the gift and I went to sit down on the sofa. Tiki came and sat down next to me.

"Hello Tiki," I smiled.

WOOF!

"You’re hungry?" I asked. He my hand and stood up.

"Ok, I’m hungry too," I said and walked into the kitchen with Tiki following me. I grabbed some dog food and placed it in his bowl. I looked through the fridge and found some sushi.

"Hm, did Youngjae made these?" I asked and took a bite. I suddenly felt nausea and ran into the closest bathroom. I threw up the sushi and wiped my mouth. Why am I like this? Is my stomach being picky again? I shrugged my shoulders and put the sushi away. I grabbed some fruits and ate it instead. I sat down and watched TV. I switched to the channel Youngjae always watch.

"I Remember by Bang and Yoseob?" I read the title of the music video that was playing.

"Wow, I didn’t know Yong Guk was this good," I said listening to the song. "Of course they would be good. Yong Guk’s one of the best music producers right now." After the video finished Tiki came and sat in front of me.

"You want something to eat again?" I asked. He shook his head. He started walking away. I got up and followed him. I found Tiki in front of a huge painting portrait.

"You like it?" I asked. Tiki then touched it with his nose. The portrait moved aside. I was surprised. Why does Youngjae always have rooms behind these huge portraits? I walked in and widen my eyes. It was a recording studio. One wall was filled with headphones of different sizes and colors. There was a small room with a microphone in it. And in front of the room were the computer and the mixing machines. I walked towards it and saw a file.

"It’s All Lies?" I read the title. I clicked on it and it opened up. I clicked play and listened to the song.

Yeah oh no oh no

Don’t leave me my babe~

Sa si reun nae ga mot dwae sseo

Nae ga jeong mal na ppeun no mi ya

Nam ja dab ji mot hae sseo na

I je wa seo I reon eun na ya baby

Meong cheon gi ga ta

Jeong mal geob jaen gi ga ta

Sa rang hand an mal han ma di mot hae sseo

Ni sa rang eul I jen al geot ga teun de

Nae ge do ra o neun mal

Jeon bu geo jit mal

i jeul su it dan mal

nae ga neol jeil jal a ra jal a ra

nu gu bo da deo jal a ra

u rin sa rang haet jan ha

ja sin eob jan ha

ji ul su eobt jan ha

nong da mi ra go yae gi hae yae gi hae

jang nan i ra go yae gi hae

u neun geo an bo i ni oh baby~

"What are you doing?" I heard Youngjae’s voice. He recorded that too? I turned and saw that Youngjae was by the door. Oh it wasn’t recorded…

"I didn’t know you liked singing," I said and smiled. "You recorded this all by yourself?"

"Ah deh," he smiled.

"I love it," I added. "You’re voice is beautiful. You should sing me to sleep often."

He laughed and motioned me to get out. I walked out and looked at the table.

"What is this?" I asked.

"More fruit," he laughed. I sighed and open the bag. There was a carved watermelon with sliced fruit in it.

"You bought this?" I asked.

"Ahni I made it," he smiled.

"It says made by KK," I said.

"Ok, I bought it," he blurted. I smiled and took some fruit to eat.

"Ahh~" Youngjae open his mouth. I took a fruit and stuck it in my mouth instead. I laughed as he glared at me.

"I’m hungry too~~" he whined.

"You have hands don’t you?" I asked. This made him angrier.

"I’m just playing," I said. He turned his back on me.

"Are you going to act like that again?" He still didn’t turn around.

"Are you mad?" I went in front of him and poked his cheek. "What can I do so that you can forgive me?"

He looked up and smiled. "A kiss."

"Just a kiss?" I asked. He smirked.

"You want more than a kiss?" he winked.

"No just a kiss will be fine," I smiled and peck his lips. I pulled away but Youngjae pulled me closer and deepened the kiss.

"Y-yah," I said through the kiss.

"Hm?" he asked. I pulled away and looked at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Let’s eat the fruits before they’re not good anymore," I said walking to the fruits.

"Hyoin," he called my name and back hugged me. I turned and look at him.

"Yong Guk wants to go to Jeju Island for the baby shower after party," Youngjae said.

"You want to go?"

"We are going."

"Remember what happened the last time we went to a resort?"

He nodded his head. "It wasn’t my fault you drown."

"You were slow. Jong Up saved me instead."

"Sorry, you’re still mad about that?"

"Yes,"

"Please can we go?"

"Fine…when?" I asked.

"Tomorrow," he smiled.

"TOMORROW!" I yelled. He flinched and backed away.

"Why?" he asked.

"I have to go get packing!" I said and ran upstairs.

"What about the fruits?!" Youngjae yelled.

"Leave them in the fridge!" I replied. I spent hours packing for the trip. Finally I finished and zipped up my luggage.

"Are you done yet?" Youngjae asked half asleep on the bed. I laughed and went to sleep next to him.

"Deh~," I said and got under the blankets.

"Finally," Youngjae turned and smiled. He hugged me and kissed my forehead.

"Have a good night dream…about me~" he sang.

"I will," I laugh and went to sleep.

 

+~+

 

We woke up the next morning and got ready to go. We dropped Tiki off at Hyosung then left to the airport. Everyone was already there. We all greeted each other and got on the plane. Soon after, we arrived on Jeju Island.

"Wow~ it’s beautiful!" the girls said and smiled.

"Ugh, do you guys always say that?" Yong Guk asked. "We’ve been here lots of times."

"Stop being so arrogant!" Jieun said and hit his arm. We left to our hotel, which was right in front of the beach.

"Are you going to the beach?" Youngjae asked.

"You guys go first I’ll come," I replied. Youngjae left with the others while I look out the window towards the beach. It’s such a nice view~ It’s good that I’m not afraid of water anymore.

I changed into shorts and a loose shirt, grabbed my towel, and walked down to the lobby. I walked out of the hotel when something caught my eye.

"How much are these?" Youngjae was in front of a little boy selling gum.

"They’re 25 cents each pack," the little boy replied. I saw as Youngjae took out his wallet and handed the boy a pack of money.

"Oh ahjusshi, this is more than the whole box," the little boy said. Youngjae smiled and pat his head.

"Go home and give that to your mom and dad," he said. "So they can buy you something to eat."

"My umma died in a car accident," he replied. "Only my father is alive. I bless you with all my heart. My mom and dad too will bless you with a lot of happiness. Thank you so much nice ahjusshi."

The little boy ran off with a bright smile as Youngjae watched him go.

"That’s very nice of you," I smiled while walking towards him.

"I didn’t want him to stand here all day getting ignored my mean rich idiots," he said motioning towards his friends. I laughed and held his hand.

"Let’s go have some fun on the beach!" I yelled and dragged him towards the rest.

"Finally you two are here," Himchan said.

"Let’s go into the water!" I yelled placing my towel down. I dragged Youngjae into the water.

"NOONA REMEMBER NOT TO DROWN AGAIN!" I heard Zelo and Jong Up.

"It’s ok! I have Youngjae with me!" I yelled back. We splashed water at each other. Youngjae came and held onto my wrist so I could stop splashing water at him. He moved his face closer to mines and planted a kiss on my lips. I could hear his friends hollering in the background. After the kiss, we both walk to shore and sat down to dry.

"Who knew these two were so wild," Yong Guk snickered. Me and Youngjae looked at each other and laughed.

"You guys just haven’t seen the wild side of Hyoin yet," Youngjae blurted. Everyone turned their heads towards me.

"YAH!" I yelled and hit him on the arm. "Don’t blurt out false information!"

"They know it’s true," he smirked. "And you yourself know that too."

It was getting a little dark; we all decided to go the street markets. Everyone went their own ways. Me and Youngjae entered many stores and bought matching clothes and accessories for us.

"Fried yams for sale!" I heard a guy around his late 30s yelled. I walked up to him while Youngjae was in a store buying something. I slowly walk up to the old guy. His phone ring and I stopped in my tracks.

"Hello?" he answered. "I’m almost done selling." I saw him pull out the cooker and it was still full of fried yams. "Don’t worry yeobo; I’ll be home soon, after I sell the remaining yams. Deh I love you too~ goodbye~"

"Hello," I greeted him.

"Oh hello would you like to buy some fried yams?" he asked. "They’re the best."

"I would like to buy all of them please," I smiled. He widened his eyes.

"All of them?"

I nodded my head and took out my wallet. I gave him all my remaining money.

"Is that enough?" I asked.

"Miss, this is way more than what the total is," he said. "Here, this is the change."

"Keep it," I smiled.

"But it’s your money," he said.

"Keep it for you to use," I said. "It’s getting late now; you should go home to your wife and take care of her."

"Oh my thank you," he said smiling and started packing the fried yams. "I bless you with all my heart. May your life continue to be great and heartwarming. May you and your family be living in happiness all your life."

"Thank you," I smiled and took the fried yams from him.

"No, thank you," he said and bowed. He packed up and left.

"So we’re having fried yams tonight for dinner?" I heard Youngjae’s voice. I turned and nodded my head.

"Are they good?" he asked.

"They’re the best," I smiled. He helped carried the fried yams. We reached our hotel room.

"What is this?" I asked looking at a sticky note stuck on our hotel door.

"Party in your room," Youngjae read. "Ugh, why ours?"

"Don’t be so mean," I said opening the door. We placed our shopping bags down in the bedroom. I enter the kitchen and saw Youngjae eating a fried yam.

"Is it good?" I asked.

"It is," he replied. "I wonder why people don’t buy these?"

"Maybe because there are more modern food stands than fried yams," I said. "Not a lot of people eat friend yams anymore."

"Say ahh~"

I open my mouth and took a bite of the yam.

"It’s delicious!" I said and took the whole yam from Youngjae.

"Hey, that one was mine~" he whined.

"Aww such a baby~" I smiled. "There’s a whole bag right there."

He grabbed another one while I went to open the door.

"Hello unnie!" Ali smiled.

"Hello Ali…where’s Zelo?" I asked.

"He’s putting our shopping bags away," she smiled and entered. "What’s that?"

"Fried yams," I replied.

"Really? I want one!" Ali said. I pointed to the table as she ran off. She took one and opened it and took a bite.

"WAH! IT’S DELICIOUS!" Ali yelled and took a couple more from the bag.

"What are you eating?" Zelo entered.

"Take a bite," Ali said. Zelo took a bite and widen his eyes.

"This is some good yam," he said.

"Hello Jong Up and Jiki~" I greeted. They greeted back and sat down.

"I said I’m okay!" we all heard Jieun’s voice. Something wrong with them?

"That car almost ran you over!" Yong Guk’s deep voice added on.

"Look I’m still here! And so is Yongji!"

"That guy didn’t even say sorry to you!"

"Can you stop talking about this already?!" we saw them in front of our door.

"I’m just worried you might end up like Hyoin," Yong Guk said. Everyone stared at me. I look at the door as Yong Guk slowly turned. He saw me and quickly apologizes.

"Oh it’s ok!" I said.

"I’m tired of this," I heard Youngjae. "You know what; if you guys are just here to hurt Hyoin’s feelings please leave."

"Youngjae!" I yelled. He looked at me.

"You three each will soon have a baby," Youngjae said ignoring me. "You guys don’t know how much Hyoin suffered. I don’t even think you guys notice it in her eyes. Every time she sees you three, there’s pain in her eyes. Please just leave if you al-."

"STOP IT ALREADY!" I yelled. Everyone widen their eyes and some even flinched.

"I know you guys try your best not to mention about my problems," I said. "I know you guys don’t want to hurt my feelings. I’m sorry for making you guys like this. I’m sorry for ending up like this. I didn’t want it to be like this. Let’s just forget everything and have a nice smooth party."

I looked as no one answered.

"Sorry for our sudden change of voice," I said and bowed. Everyone shook their heads and apologize.

"Have some yams at the table," I said. They nodded and left to get some. I looked at Youngjae. He didn’t want to look at me. I guess I made him mad. Yong Guk came and sat by me.

"Sorry about earlier," he said. I smiled and shook my head.

"It’s ok,"

"No, I mean it really,"

I patted his shoulders. "I know. It shows you care a lot for Jieun."

He looked at me and smiled.

"You two should stop yelling at each other also. You know that the baby could feel the way Jieun feels. So maybe keep her happy and lower down the arguments."

He nodded his head and left towards Jieun. Youngjae came and sat down beside me. He took my hand and held it.

"You mad?" he asked.

"Are you?" I looked at him.

"I was…"

"Sorry I yelled at you…I just lose control sometimes…"

"Sometimes? You mean most of the time?"

"Hey, you’re the one that exploded before me."

"Did not!"

"Did to!"

Everyone was looking at us again.

"Stop arguing please unnie~" Ali said.

"We’re suppose to have a smooth party right?" Jiki smiled.

"Of course!" Youngjae yelled and looked at me. He put on a smirk moving his face closer to mines.

"Ehm! Smooth doesn’t mean make out," I clarify.

"Fine, later will do," he whispered and backed away. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Well we’re here to celebrate the after party of Jieun, Sunhee, and Sae Ra’s baby shower!" I said. The atmosphere was better this time. Everyone’s mood wasn’t so gloomy anymore. We had the party and chat for awhile then everyone left. We bid goodnights to the last couple and closed the door. Suddenly Youngjae pinned me to the door.

"Remember the kiss?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Stop playing hard to get," he said and plant a kiss on my lips. I pulled away and poked his cheek.

"It’s late," I said. "And I’m tired."

We enter our room and drifted off to sleep. The following days were full of fun. Then we packed up and got ready to go home. It was late when we arrived back at our house. Me and Youngjae were so tired we didn’t even bother to change clothes and just went straight to sleep.