The Engagment Party Part 1

Life Isn't That Easy

Yesterday I picked out a dress and now today, I have to announce to everyone that I'm engaged. I've accustomed to everything except the fact that I've never seen Hyunshik go against the arranged marriage. I freaked out and was mad for two days. He didn't seem mad or dissatisfied whatsoever. This really got me thinking, did he want this to happen?, was he okay with the fact of being married to a stranger?

------

"Okay, let's go we don't want to be late," my mother was rushing me. She always wanted to be on time. 

"Uhmma, we'll be fine. They are there to see me so it's okay if we are a tad bit late," I said.

"No, you can't be late. That'll just make us look like losers," my mom said. 

"You worry too much about what others' think of us." 

"I have to, you are marrying the son of the richest man in Asia." My mom was going around the house finding accessories to put on. "Ugh, I can't find the right accessories to wear." 

"Uhmma, calm down." I stopped her from moving around the house. 

"No I will not be calm until the day my daughter moves into her new home," she takes in a deep breath and sighs. I handed her one of my earrings for her to wear. 

"Here, wear this. It looks good with your dress," I say softly. 

"Huh, let's go," she sighs. We walk out of the door and I wait for my mother to lock it. Suddenly a car comes by and stops in front of our house. 

"Come on, you didn't think I'd go to the party without my fiancee did you?" Hyunshik says. 

"Oh, annyeonghasaeyo Hyunshik," My mother waves at him as he motions for us to get into his car. 

"Your car feels different from last time," I said. 

"Yeah, I got a new one." Hyunshik smiles. "You ready?"

"Yeah, I think so. I'm still getting used to this," I sigh. 

"It's okay. I am too," Hyunshik says. 

"You are?" I ask. 

"Yeah, who wouldn't be?" he says while smiling foolishly. 

"Aigoo, you guys are already looking good together," My mother blushes. 

"Ayyee, uhmma. It's not like that," I said.

"Uhmma, we look good right?" Hyunshik forms a V with his hands and puts it under his chin. My mother giggles and I just roll my eyes. 

"Alright, we are here Mr. Lim," Mr. Park says. 

"Already?" I say shocked. My heart is throbbing. I could feel it almost bursting out of my chest. Deep breaths, deep breaths. I can do this. 

"Okay, come on. MiSoon, Let's go" My mother wraps her arms around me and walks me to the front door. 

"I can take her from here," Hyunshik says. He opens the door and walks me inside. Everyone's eyes were laid on me. "Now, just forget that you are shy. You have to try and communicate with these people. Okay?" He whispers to me. 

"Wait, where are you going?" I ask. 

"Oh, usually you wouldn't want me close to you but, you want me to stay?" Hyunshik teases. 

"Well, I don't know anyone besides my mom and you," I said. 

"We all have to socialize, your mom is publicizing you, I have to talk about business with men. So, you have to meet with the other wives and become friends. Most of them were in arranged marriages too. So don't worry, they'll help you out. If you need me, I'll be right over there okay? If you get too shy and feel way too awkward just come and get me. I'll excuse myself for you," Hyunshik puts his hands on my shoulders and tries to reassure me. 

"Will BTOB be here?" I ask before he takes a step back. 

"Of course, but they won't be here until food is served. Just enjoy yourself and smile!" Hyunshik says before leaving. I awkwardly walk myself over to the couch and sit there. 

"Aye, my future daughter-in-law shouldn't be sitting here all by herself. This is her engagment party," Mrs. Lim says. 

"Oh, Sorry. I'm just not used to all of this," I said.

"Aha, no one is silly. I wasn't either but, you'll soon realize that it's not so bad," she says calmly. "Come with me, I'll introduce you to the other wives."

I follow her to the backyard and see a whole bunch of pretty women in beautiful dresses. They all looked quite familiar. I remember my mother reading articles about some of them. 

"Oh you must be Chae MiSoon. We've heard a lot about you," a girl in a tan dress says. "I'm Ha JiWon. You see that guy over there in all white? The one that doesn't look like he wants to be here? That's my husband. That's Hyun Bin." 

koreanbreakfast.jpgkoreanbreakfast.jpg

 

Wow, they look very good together. He's so handsome and she's so pretty. 

"That's your husband?" I ask. 

"Aha, yes. He's good looking huh?" she laughs. "I didn't acknowledge it at first but, he is quite something,"

"Well, while you guys introduce yourselves I'll go and greet the other guests," and with that Mrs. Lim left. 

"Hi, I'm Kim Gyuri. I'm married to Kim SangGyung. The one who looks like he's in his 40's. Aha, that's because he is." a girl in a red dress laughs. 

koreanbreakfast.jpg

 

"40?" I almost choked on my own saliva. 

"Aha, Yeah I'm 32. We've been married for 14 years. It's nice to meet you Chae MiSoon," she puts out her hand and I shake it. 

"I'm Kim SoEun. Married to the guy who's wearing that bow tie over there. The one with a white shirt," a girl in a light pink dress says. "My husband is Jung Il Woo." 

koreanbreakfast.jpg

 

"I'm Han Hyo-Joo. Married to So JiSeob. Nice to meet you," a girl in slick black dress. 

koreanbreakfast.jpg

 

"My husband is also wearing a bowtie but, he's wearing all black." the girl laughs. 

"Oh out of everyone, you and SoEun are the youngest. SoEun got married last year," Gyuri says. "There's more girls but, most of the couldn't make it. Congradulations on your engagment. How do you feel about it?"

"Me? Oh, well I'm...I don't know," I reply. They all laugh and SoEun walks up to me. 

"It's okay. No one liked their engagment. You'll get used to it," SoEun says. "So, we heard that you are the lucky one," 

"Lucky?" I pointed at myself. 

"Yeah, because you aren't from the high class," JiWon says. "We all got married for business purposes,"

"Woah, I thought that only happened in dramas and movies!" I whisper to myself. 

"Well, not all things come from dramas and movies," HyoJoo says. "You are very pretty though," 

"Uh thank you," I reply. I tried not to look at their eyes but it was hard when they are all hovering you. Later on, they started to talk about their marriages and some other girly stuff. I felt awkward and looked for HyunShik. He was the only one I could look for. My mother was nowhere to be seen. I walked around the house for a while until I saw Hyunshik coming out from the bathroom. 

"Oh, you looking for me?" he smiles as he walks over to me. I nod shyly. "Aha, did you meet the other girls?"

"Yeah, they have a very different aura. They are all rich," I said. 

"Are you thinking about your dramas again?" he teases and laughs as he nudges on my arm. 

"Yah~~" I pout. 

"Oh, doing aegyo again?" he teases.

"I wasn't doing aegyo!" I insisted.

"I know I know, aha take everything so seriously," Hyunshik laughs. "Do you want to talk outside?"

"Mm, sure" I follow Hyunshik to the backyard and pass the other wives who were eyeing us. 

"Did you get along with them?" he asks.

"Well, I guess you could say so. I kinda felt uncomfortable so I went to find you," I say softly. I really didn't want him to hear that part.

"What? You went to find what?" Hyunshik teases.

"Ayyee, you play too much. Fine, I'm going to find my mom," I start to walk away and Hyunshik stops me by grabbing my arm. 

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry," Hyunshik says. I turn around and look at his hand that is placed on my arm. "Oh skinship, right." 

He lets go slowly and looks at me. 

"Are you mad?" he asks. 

"Just surprised," I look away from him. 

"Hehe," he giggles like a dumb child. 

"Can I ask you something?" I blurted. I covered my mouth. What am I doing?

"Sure, what is it?" He looks at me and waits with sparkling eyes. 

"Uh...pretend I didn't say that." 

"No, you brought it up. Now you have to say it," 

"Ugh, No"

"MiSoon, tell me."

"No"

"Why?"

"Because,"

"Because what?"

"Because it's weird,"

"So?"

"So, just listen to what I want,"

"Okay, what do you want?"

"To ask you something,"

"Okay then tell me,"

"No."

"Lim MiSoon!" 

"You did not just-"

"Oh but, I did."

"Ugh, Lim Hyunshik!" 

"Yes, I'm right here. You don't need to call me," 

"oh my gahh!" I storm away and he follows. 

"where are you going?" he asks.

"somewhere,"

"where?"

"don't talk"

"okay then I'll just follow,"

"Do whatever," 

"Okay I will"

"Hyunshik!"

"You don't need to call me~" he sings.

"I can't believe this,"

"I can,"

"Okay. Stop following me,"

"Why not? This is my  house,"

"Seriously?!" I have him a -.-" face.

"Yeah," he says while nodding. "I'm pretty sure I live here," 

"Hyunshik-ah," 

"Hmm?"

"Nothing,"

"Aye you can't just do that,"

"do what?"

"say that it's nothing when it's something"

"I never said that it was something,"

"but, it is when you bring it up," He was now getting on my nerves and being a smart alec. "Okay, I'll stop bothering you if you tell me what you wanted to ask me,"

"Fine, I'll tell you," I took in a deep breath. "How come you don't seem to be affected by the whole arranged marriage thing?"

"Me? I am," Hyunshik says.

"You are?" I was taken back. How come he didn't ever show it?

"Yeah but, if I can't show my soon-to-be wife that I'm strong then she won't be strong herself. I need to be strong for you. I knew that you were going to be against it but, if I showed you that I didn't like it then we would hate each other right? I was against it at first but, then my father told me about your father and that I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for him. So I thought that I needed to show thanks too," Hyunshik explains. At this moment, I felt like this Hyunshik was really handsome. He was so sincere and really did seem to be thankful. 

"Wow, I didn't know," 

"Of course, I didn't want you to,"

"You know, you are really sincere," 

"I know huh? Ahaha, well let's get back to the party. They are going to serve dinner soon," 

"Okay," I follow Hyunshik to go back inside. On our way back, I looked at Hyunshik's back the whole time. How come he seems so responsible and thoughtful? He even thought about how I would feel in this situation. He thought about me. I guess I was being selfish.