Chapter 8

Bionic Girl

        *Flashback of 2 years ago*

        Running down the hospital hallway, I searched around for any of my family members.  Mom had called me when I was at school, telling me to come quickly without telling me a reason.  Hearing a small pitter-patter of footsteps, I turned to see a familiar five year old girl reaching out for me.

                “WAAA!  UNNIE!”  My only cousin Marylin came running to me, her chubby cheeks streaked with tears.  Kneeling down to hug her tightly, I scooped her up, worried. 

                “What happened, Linnie?”  I asked.  I saw Grandpa exit one of the rooms, his face clearly showing signs of pain and agony.  He suddenly crumpled, falling to his knees. 

                “Grandpa!”  I hurried towards him.  Sitting down on to the ground, he slowly lifted his head.  I put the crying Marylin in my lap and clasped my hands over his.  “Grandpa, what happened?  What’s wrong?” 

                “They’re gone…”  He choked out, gripping my hands tightly.  “Penny and Lexor are dead…”

                Time slowed as I slowly took in what he said, and a sharp burst of pain overtook my chest.

                My uncle and aunt were dead. 

                Marylin’s parents were dead.

               “How?”  I managed to ask, my own tears dribbling down.

                “They were fighting, and hit a container truck from the side...”  Answered another voice.  I looked up to see my own parents on the verge of breaking down.  Sitting down next to us, we huddled together, clutching each other, mourning.

               Our small family had gotten even smaller.

 

                -2 months later

                “Happy birthday to you!” 

                I grinned at my family that surrounded me.  Leaning towards the strawberry cake in front of me, a small hand tugged at my shirt.  I looked down to see Marylin with her hands on her hips.

                “Unnie, you have to make a wish before you blow it out!”  She pointed out. 

                “Oh, good point.  Thanks for reminding me!”  I patted her head of golden curls.  She smiled up at me, her cherry lollypop.

                I closed my eyes, wishing.

                I wish that my family would stay happy from now on.  No more pain.

                I opened my eyes and blew out the candles.

               

                After eating cake, Marylin and I went outside to the playground across the street.  I sat down on the swings, watching her play with the other kids.  It was amazing how she managed to stay composed for these past months.  Any other child who lost their parents probably would have a hard time understanding and accepting what had happened.  Marylin was different.  Exceptionally mature for her age, she managed to stay her regular happy self.  I was proud of her.

                A loud shout shook me out of my train of thoughts.

                “YAH!  ALL OF YOU, GET OUT OF HERE!” 

                I looked up to see seven darkly dressed men walking confidently into the playground.  They were holding knives and guns in their hands.  All the children started to run away to their parents, who picked them, fleeing quickly. 

                “GO! GET OUT! NOW!”

                *BANG* A gunshot sounded, and my ears rang.  Searching for Marylin, I couldn’t spot her anywhere.

                “Marylin!  Where are you?!”  I shouted, cupping my hands around my mouth.  I noticed a different six member group approaching quickly.

                “Hey!  You!  Why aren’t you leaving?!”  I looked up to see the leader of the seven men pointing a gun at my head.  I ignored it, too freaked out about Marylin to worry about getting shot at.

                “I’m looking for my cousin.  I’ll leave once I find her.” 

                The guy shook his head, and released the safety catch.  It clicked into place, and he set his finger on the trigger.  A man standing next to him lowered his arm.

                “Relax Sunggyu Hyung, let her find her cousin.  We don’t need to spill any innocent blood here.”

                I gave a thankful nod to the guy, calling out Marylin’s name again.

                “Is this chick yours?”  A voice asked behind me, probably belonging to the six member gang.

                The man called Sunggyu shook his head.

                “Her cousin’s missing.”

                “Screw that.”  A lower voice said, and I heard a gunshot fire.  I instinctively covered my head, hitting the ground. 

                “F***!  L’s hit!”  I looked up to see the guy who saved my life, sprawled on the ground, his shirt staining red.  I hid behind the slide, and watched the two groups begin to fight, slashing and shooting dangerously with their weapons.  I silently searched around for Marylin, hoping she was smart enough to run away without me.

                “Stop fighting!” A small voice shouted.

                I whipped around to see Marylin right smack dab in the middle of the fight.

                I found her!

                …

                Wait… Marylin?

                MARYLIN?!

                I jumped out from behind the slide, witnessing my baby cousin try to push the rivals away from each other.  Her chubby little hands did practically nothing to achieve her goal, only leading her to get pushed away.

                “Get out of this fight, kid.”

                One of the men walked towards her, holding his arms out.

                “Jaesoon, what are you doing?” Someone asked.

                Marylin cautiously walked towards him and he picked her up, cuddling him in her right shoulder.  He jogged towards me, giving me a small comforting smile.

                I was about to smile back when I saw one of the guys from Sunggyu’s gang aim at his back.

                “Watch out!” I screamed.

                His eyebrows rose, and then his eyes widened, knowing what was about to happen.  I saw Marylin push him forcefully, and the two went flying backwards when the shot fired.

 

 

srry sunggyu fans!  i had to make someone the mean one!