Chapter 1

Bionic Girl

                “No!”  I ran away from my dad, who was squirting me with a water gun.  Stumbling quickly down the sidewalk, I took a break, my hands leaning on my knees.

                Noticing that everything had gone quiet, I looked up confused to see a group of girls staring murderously at me.  They all were wearing some kind of fan clothing, with pictures of idols plastered on to them.  Eyes narrowing down to my feet, I slowly moved my head down to the ground.

                And saw my foot on top of a poster with a man’s face on it.  A face that looked horrifying like the one on the girl’s t-shirt.  I lifted my foot off of the poster and smiled weakly at the girls.

                “Sorry.  I didn’t see it.”  Stooping down, I picked it up, and dusted it off, but it didn’t do much to wipe the footprint that stained his face.  I handed it back to the middle girl of the three, and she snatched it from my hands.

                “Oh my god, are you ok Doojoon oppa?  You’re all dirty now!”  She desperately wiped the poster and then handed it to the two girls behind her before turning to me.  They fought over it, kissing the poster and talking to it.  I watched, nauseated of their actions.

          Crazy fan girls…

                The middle girl spoke.  “Didn’t you see where you were going?  Gosh, well with that garbage hair, I guess you couldn’t even see.”  She lifted a manicured hand and picked up a strand of my hair before grimacing and letting go.  Then wiping her hand on the shoulder of the girl to the left, she glared at me.  Rolling my eyes, I spoke.

                “What the hell was your problem?  That was a total accident!”

                “Ya right, I bet you’re one of those ugly anti-fans who just want to hurt our oppas.”

                “I’m not a fan, or an anti!”  She was beginning to piss me off, seriously.

                “Liar!”  She pushed me, and I fell against the lamp post behind me, hitting my head.  All of a sudden I felt dizzy and I held my head before facing her.

                “Hold on, wait…”  

                She looked disgusted, and pushed me again.  My head hit the post again, even harder this time.

                “You’re faking it aren’t you?”  Stars appeared around my head, and I was beginning to see colors as my head started to pound.  The girl now had four eyes, and I fell to the ground.  I saw her shadow hover over me as she laughed.

                “Now you’re sorry huh?” 

                I put my hand up, trying to cover myself if she hit me.  From the corner of my eye, I saw spectators looking at us, but when I caught their eye, they looked away.

                What is wrong with these people?

                I felt a sharp tip of a boot slam into my chest, and all the air was pushed out of me as I gasped in pain.   Falling backwards, I fell into the street, my head crashing into the concrete.  Groaning, I barely held on to my consciousness to hear people shouting at me.

                “Wait!  HEY! WATCH OUT!”         

                My ears rang, and I opened my eyes a bit. 

                And a blurred vision of a truck came rolling toward me.

 

                I froze, unable to move either because of fear or the pain erupting from my head.  People were shouting all around me now, and I heard horns blaring out in the street.  Someone pulled on my legs, trying to get me off the street, but they were a second too late.

               A tire came down on my hand, flattening four fingers except my thumb.  I heard myself screaming, unable to pull my fingers out.  Pain shot through my fingers, and bones crushed under the weight of the tire.  The shock almost caused me to pass out, and I wish I did when my hand came out free as the tire rolled off of it.  The pain became even worse.

               Everything swirled around me as I was frozen, unable to move as people moved me off of the street.  I felt someone pull me into their arms as we sat on the sidewalk.  The person held my broken hand out of my sight, and I didn’t even need to know what it looked like to know that it was a bloody mess.  I heard their voice in my ear, deep and low, definitely a man’s.

               “It’s ok, it’s ok.”  His voice soothed me as he rocked me against his chest.  At this point in time I realized that I was crying, clutching his shirt as he tried to calm me down.  I heard people talking around me.

                “OMG, look at her hand!”

                “Call an ambulance now!”

                “How did this happen?”

                “Are you ok?”

                Am I ok?  That’s funny.  Does it look like I’ m ok?!  I felt myself laugh a little as I mumbled to myself.         “Ya, haha…” 

                This set them off even more, crowding around me.  Feeling cornered, I buried deeper into the stranger’s chest, trying to hide.  He my hair slowly, and tried to get them away from me.

                “She needs some space, back off would you?”  They began to move backwards, but it was still pretty crowded, doing nothing to calm me down.

                “She’s totally lost it.”

                “How is she laughing?”

                “The ambulance is here!”

                The last thing I remember is holding on to that guy’s hand in the ambulance.  It was warm and comforting, a feeling that I hadn’t felt since that day.

                Because from there onwards, my life fell apart.

                Completely.