I Guess Taxes are Really Stressful

Step to the Rhythm

 

Sanghyo was waiting for me on the bus once school was over. As soon as I sat next to her she paused the video she was watching on her ipod.

“Hey, what’s up? Did anything exciting happen today?”

“School , as usual. But guess what happened in Social Studies?” I was in a much better mood now that school was over and I was all the way awake.

“Hm?” Sanghyo clicked her ipod back on and SHINee.

“During 6th period, we had to list the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean, and Hunter asked Mrs. Smith if he could put North Korea and South Korea together. It was pretty stupid because it took longer for him to ask that than to just write it down. Anyway, as soon as he said it, I was like ‘NO.’. Then he made that face like ‘woah, okay then’. It was really funny!”

Sanghyo laughed. “Yeah. In Social Studies, I can’t help but giggle every time because I see Poland colored pink on the map.” She was talking about Hetalia, an anime she watched.

“South Korea is always colored orange, for some reason.” I said, pulling a face. I hated the color orange.

“Really? Orange?” she cussed. “Why orange? It should be, like, blue!” She was yelling now.

“Haha, I know, right?” Blue was both of our favorite color.

“And North Korea should be red.” She stuck her tongue out at her ipod like it had personally offended her.

The  bus stopped at our stop and we climbed off, heaving our backpacks full of annoying homework off the bus. My dad was waiting at the usual corner where he picked me up and dropped me off every day. I looked over at him. He was on the phone.

“See you later, Sanghyo!” I said, hugging my best friend.

“See you, Heechan.” She said with a little smile.

The car ride home was uneventful. Appa was on the phone with a business client, and I didn’t want to interrupt him. As soon as we got home, I raced upstairs to do my homework. Stupid homework, it was giving me a headache. I ‘Chu~’ by f(x) and quietly sang along. I could hear Appa making dinner downstairs. Today we were having  chapchae. I finished my homework and headed downstairs.

After dinner was over, I went back to my room and watched the last episode of To The Beautiful You. I was really sad that it was over, but I thought it ended well. I went downstairs to make myself some tea and I saw Appa sitting at the table doing taxes. He looked really stressed out.

I poured enough water in the boiler for both of us. When I sat the cup of tea in front of him, he looked up, surprised.

“Thanks, ChaCha.” He said, using my old nickname. I don’t think he realized I was there until now, even though the water boiler had been loud. I guess the taxes must be really stressful.