I'm a Fantastic Mother

Step to the Rhythm

 

Min Haneul’s POV

“What’s up?”

I wrung my hands. This wasn’t going to be easy, so I figured I should just say it. I turned around to face my daughter, trying to keep any expression from showing on my face.

“Your father died.” Wow, points for subtlety. Oh well. Heechan’s eyes got wide, and opened slightly. Then she closed it, and opened it again to say something.

“When?” pretty obvious question.

“This morning. The doctors said that he died peacefully, and he didn’t feel much pain. The cancer had gone too long without him getting treatment… I don’t know if he ever even got checkups.”

She nodded, as if she had known this. I guess my up-and-mighty husband – ex-husband - had been too good for checkups. Well, that was his downfall. Hmf.

Honestly, her reaction was… amazingly surprising. She was taking this extremely well. Maybe she wasn’t surprised…. Or maybe she just didn’t want me to see her cry. Don’t think I had missed all of the crashes coming from her room upstairs lately. She was an impressive actress; her eyes were perfectly dry…

Heechan bowed to me and went back to her room. I turned back around to the counter and finished taking my morning pills. Heechan’s reaction may have been fine, but it was harder for me. I had actually been married to him… and he raised her like that? She didn’t even cry? He must have been a terrible father. Or maybe I was a terrible mother, leaving like that….

No. I wouldn’t think THAT thought again. I’m a fantastic mother.

 

 

It's short. *shrugs*