Chapter 2: Tomorrow

A Slice of Cheesecake with a Cup of Coffee

 

Chapter 2: Tomorrow

-

Hae Young tapped her fingers on the wooden table in a repeated rhythm while waiting for the beverage she ordered to be served.

What should I do after this?

 

 

Nothing.

The girl laughed at her own lame joke. The waiter, who was walking towards her holding a tray with her order and a cheesecake, did his utmost not to smile too widely.

Her laughter does that to anyone who hears it. Even when she guffaws, it’s still charming.

Gently, he set the cup of coffee right in front of her on the table along with the slice of cheesecake. Hae Young looked up at him. She pointed at the cheesecake and asked bluntly, “What’s this doing here?”

Standing awkwardly, the waiter rubbed the back of his neck and explained, “Well, you are the first customer of the day, and what’s special about this café is that the first customer receives a complimentary slice of cheesecake, one of our specialities.”

“Ah… Thank you…” she squinted to get a closer look at his nametag clipped on the upper part of his café apron. “…Daehyun.”

She blinked.

There was this feeling, a special one, when his name rolled off her tongue. She felt nothing much when she mouthed the name of her…

No, don’t dwell in the past anymore, Hae Young.


“Umm, you’re welcome. Enjoy your meal!” Daehyun replied, rather too enthusisatically.

A smile re-appeared on Hae Young’s face and she laughed again. “Oh my, you’re adorable, if you don’t mind me saying.”

“Thanks?” he muttered softly, and retreated to the counter and sat on the high stool.

From there onwards, the café was consumed by a comfortable silence, with no such awkwardness or tensity in the air. Every minute or so, Daehyun would glance at her from the corner of his eye (he does a very bad job at trying to look at her discreetly), and she,in a world of her own making while taking sips of her drink, was very oblivious to it.

Not that Daehyun minded.

It comes with quite a simple reason, actually, getting caught staring at someone is awkward. Very awkward.

And why make an atmosphere feel awkward? Daehyun thought.

Hae Young stood up, the sudden movement causing Daehyun to accidentally swipe his right hand right at the stack of coins he was counting, and all of them fell to the marble flooring with little clinking sounds that reminded Daehyun of Hae Young’s sweet laughter.

Clink. Clink. Clink.

“Are you alright there, Dae?” Hae Young asked. It was beyond him how she could call him in such a manner as if they were friends. No, something more than that, even.

Not that he minded.

“Yep, I’m alright. You best be on your way,”

She nodded in response.

“My coffee machine’s spoilt,” Hae Young began. “So I’ll see you tomorrow!” and with that, she walked out of the café’s door and sounded the bells a second time. It was as if the bells were sending her off to wherever she was heading.

I’ll see her tomorrow?

 

Not that I mind.

 

=========================================================================================

Chapter 2, up! There's gonna be one more... and maybe another one ^^

Anticipate it!

All right, as you can see, Hae Young is blunt, she speaks what's on her mind that she thinks is not offensive, and I don't think calling a guy cute would hurt right (unless that guy wants to be called manly)? 

Hae Young also tends to blurt out things sometimes, and that habit of hers will develop throughout the story.

Moving on to Dae. 

He is what he is, you know?

The dude that's very fun, hilarious at times.

Both characters will continue to 'grow'.

 

Sweet like --strawberries