Nichkhun Horvejkul

The Devil And His Flower

 

Author’s Note: This is Yunho and Nichkhun’s conversation.

 

 

“Who is that Tiffany?” Yunho began as he frantically took a cigar from the ashtray and put it in his mouth. “Why is she in my place?”

 

Nichkhun grinned mockingly.” A gift.”  He sat on the swivel chair. “I know you haven’t have a in your disposal. She can be a great help.”

 

“I don’t need one!.” Yunho drank from a flask with purple liquid. “I have enough.”

 

“And that was a century ago. With Boa. And she’s dead already.”

 

The older guy didn’t answer.

 

“Another thing.” Nichkhun cracked his knuckles slightly. “Let her drink the amnesiac serum so that she can forget all what happened.”

 

“Fine.” Yunho stood. “I bet it’s time for me to have a girl too since Boa was dead.”

 

“And since you won’t resurrect her even though you can.”

 

Yunho looked at him with threatening eyes. “Khun. Stop talking to me like that or else you’ll fall in the pits of the underworld.”

 

Nichkhun grinned. “Whatever you say.” He pushed the guy before him in such a playful manner. “Now, go away.”

 

“You never forget your mission don’t you?”

 

“I don’t. I’ll take him back I promise.”

 

Yunho smiled and wrapped his arms around his dongsaeng’s neck. “You should or else..”

 

“Or else?”

 

“Or else I’ll take Yoona to hell.”

 

Nichkhun frowned. “You can’t do that! She will never be in your filthy world. She will be in my world.”

 

“As I expected. You liked her too.” Yunho laughed madly. “But beware. Our prince likes her too.”

 

Nichkhun smiled. “And I’ll make sure he’ll never get in the way of my goals.”

 

“You’re still sore of what happened? You still hate Donghae?”

 

He clenched his fists. “Yes!” He muttered. “After all, I am the real prince not him.”

 

“Khun. Quit drooling.” He put on his hat. “You are no longer the prince. Your father will never be back. He’s dead.”

 

The remark stung Nichkhun.

 

“You’re wrong Mr. Yunho. My father is alive. Missing perhaps but alive.”

 

Yunho grinned. “The courts had declared that the demon king is already dead.”

 

His voice was in the devoid of emotion. “I don’t care what the courts say. He’s alive and I will find him.”

 

“Whatever you say Prince Nichkhun.” He spread out his black wings. “You should visit your mother anyway. She’s relenting right now.”

 

“Yes. I am planning to do that too.”

 

He flew away..

 

“That god.” He blurted. “So foolish.”

 

***

 

In the demon world:

 

“Welcome back Master Nichkhun.”

 

It was early night before he reached his home in the demon world. He headed in there right after Yoona’s party.

 

His mother, Suriya Horvejkul was bedridden. She had been since her husband’s disappearance sixty years ago. Nervous tension, the demon psych said.

 

His childhood friend and at the same time servant was sitting at the foot of the stairs. Her gaze was boring a hole in the wall. Even the glitter mascara could not soften her expression.

 

“Problems Victoria?”

 

Victoria straightened hurriedly. “My own fault Nichkhun. Apparently, I left a gap in the curtains. Madam Horvejkul could not sleep.”

 

“Hmm.” droned Nichkhun, scaling the oak staircase.

 

He worried about his mother’s condition. She hadn’t seen the hell’s light.

 

He knocked gently on the arched double doors.

 

“Mother. Are you awake?”

 

Something smashed against the other side of the door.

 

“Of course I’m awake! How can I sleep in this blinding glare?”

 

Nichkhun ventured inside. Suriya Horvejkul sat hunched in the bed, her pale limbs glowing white in the gloom.

 

“Nichkhun darling whre have you been?”

 

Nichkhun sighed. She recognized him. That was a good sign.

 

“Skiing mother. On the surface.”

 

“Ah skiing.” crooned Suriya. “How I miss it. Perhaps when your father returns.”

 

Nichkhun felt a lump on his throat.

 

“Yes perhaps when father returns.”

 

“Darling, could you please close those wretched curtain? The light is intolerable.”

 

“Of course mother.”

 

He felt his way across the room. His fingers curled along the velvet drapes. For a moment, he was tempted to throw them wide open, then he sighed and closed the gap.

 

“Thank you darling. By the way, we really have to get rid of that maid. She’s good for absolutely nothing.”

 

He held his tongue. Victoria had been a hardworking and loyal member of the Horvejkul household for the past three year. Time to use her absentmindedness to his advantage.

 

“You’re right, of course. I’ve been meaning to do it for some time. I had friend I believe would be perfect for the position. I think I’ve mentioned her. Victoria?”

 

Suriya frowned. “Victoria? Yes, the name sounds  familiar. Well anyone could be better than that silly girl we have now. When can she start?”

 

“Straight away.”

 

“You’re a good boy. Now give mommy a hug.”

 

Nichkhun stepped into the shadowy folds of his mother’s robe. “Oh darling.” She whispered. “I hear things at night. They crawl along the pillows and into my ears. “

 

He felt a lump in his throat again.

 

“Perhaps we should open the curtains.”

 

“No!” his mother sobbed, releasing him from her grasp. “No because then I could see them too.”

 

“Mother, please.”

 

But it was no use. Suriya was gone. She crawled to the far corner of the bed, pulling the quilt under her chin.

 

“Send the new girl.”

 

“Yes Mother.”

 

“Send her with cucumber slices and water.”

 

“Yes mother.”

 

Suriya glared at him with crafty eyes. “And stop calling me Mother. I don’t know who you are but you’re certainly not my little Khunnie.”

 

Nichkhun blinked back a few rebellious tears. “Of course. Sorry Moth- Sorry.”

 

“Hmm. Don’t come back here again or I’ll have my husband take care of you. He’s the demon king, you know.”

 

“Very well. Mrs Horvejkul. This is the last time you’ll see me.”

 

“It had better be.” She froze suddenly. “Do you hear them?”

 

He shook his head. “No I don’t hear any.-“

 

“They’re coming for me. They’re everywhere.”

 

Suriya dived for cover beneath her bedclothes. Nichkhun could still hear her terrified sobs as he descended the marble staircase.