c h a p t e r thirty

You Are My Song

 

 

 

YOUAREMYSONG

 

 

 

The marriage was a huge success.  Everyday was filled with tripled joy that neither of them wanted to ever end it.  And none of them were able to pay attention to the time.  Three years have passed, and God has blessed Jinki and Vickie with, not only one, but two children.  They were twins, a boy and a girl, and they decided to name their kids based on their own names.

 

 

Vickie slowly opened the door to their son's room, the white door creaking, "Victor?  Victor, dear, wake up."

 

 

The two-year-old Victor squirmed in his bed, clinging onto his giraffe stuffed toy that Jooyoung gave him on his first birthday.  Vickie opened the door fully and walked closer to her son's bed.  The house had to be renovated for the new additions to the family, and Wu Zheng, now the chief executive officer of one of the most successful multi-million electric companies in the world, was more than willing to do so.  Three new rooms were added: Victor's bedroom, his younger sister's bedroom, and a play room.

 

 

"Victor, wake up, we're going to the mall today," Vickie shook Victor a little, analyzing her son's features as the sun caressed his face.  He had his father's hands, and his mother's nose.  Vickie smiled as she continued trying to wake Victor up.

 

 

Victor's eyes finally fluttered open, "Mall?"

 

 

"Mhmm, daddy and Jinhee are getting ready.  Let's go?"  Vickie helped Victor up and let him rub his eyes with his hands.  He nodded his head and kissed his mom's cheek, skipping outside while hugging his toy giraffe.

 

 

"Good morning, little Vic!" Jinki grinned and bent lower, pecking his son's forehead.  He brought Jinhee down from his arms and let the siblings play before they would eat breakfast.

 

 

"Mommy!"  Jinhee jumped and hugged Vickie's legs.  Vickie almost fell but she was able to collect herself before she knelt and picked up Jinhee in her arms.

 

 

"Is Jinhee hungry?"  Vickie asked in a high-pitched tone, just the right tone to talk to toddlers.

 

 

Jinhee nodded and nuzzled Vickie's neck, "Tummy wants to eat."

 

 

"'Tummy wants to eat'?"  Vickie chuckled and sat Jinhee down on her pink high chair.

 

 

"Mommy, I'm hungry," Victor followed his mom to the refrigerator.  He was looking up to Vickie, hugging her leg, his lips pouting.

 

 

"Victor, come here.  Mommy's doing something," Jinki called out.  Victor walked back to the dining room and was scooped up by Jinki, sitting him down on his blue high chair next to Jinhee.  Jinki buckled the two of them in their chairs so they wouldn't fall out.

 

 

"Thank goodness we don't have stubborn kids," Jinki sighed as he walked to the kitchen where Vickie was filling up the kids' sippy cups with water.  He wrapped his arms around Vickie's waist, resting his chin on her shoulder.

 

 

"Yes, well, Victor is a hard-sleeper.  He got that from you," Vickie replied jokingly, tightening the lids of the cups.

 

 

Jinki laughed, leaving a kiss on Vickie's cheek as he left her waist alone and brought the cups back to the dining room.  "You win this time."

 

 

Vickie followed, a perfect smile growing on her face.

 

 

The mall wasn't so crowded, thankfully, and so the happiest family in the world was able to stroll around without trouble.  Wu Zheng had apologized for not being able to go with them when he usually did.  While the adults understood, his grandchildren were whining like there was no tomorrow left or any other day at all.

 

 

"Papa, why?"  Jinhee whined into Vickie's phone.  Her face was smeared with vanilla ice cream.

 

 

"Papa, Papa, Papa!"  Victor added onto the whining while smothering his chocolate ice cream.

 

 

"Papa is at work, guys," Wu Zheng laughed, "I can't come.  Next time, okay?"

 

 

"Papa, not fair," Jinhee pouted.  She handed the phone back to Vickie.

 

 

"Well, I hope you had fun listening to your grandchildren whine."  Vickie chuckled.

 

 

"You know their whining always gets me."  Wu Zheng replied with a slight snicker in the end.  "See you soon, Vickie.  Jinki, take care of my daughter and the kids."

 

 

"Yes, dad, I will— Oh, Jinhee, be careful!"  Jinki was cut off by Jinhee almost dropping her ice cream onto her lap.  He wiped Jinhee's face who sat next to him and Victor who was across the table with an already used napkin.

 

 

"Bye, guys, love you all!"  Wu Zheng waved.

 

 

"We love you, too, dad."  Vickie placed her phone near the kids, "Guys, say bye to Papa."

 

 

"Bye, Papa!"  Victor and Jinhee said in unison.  After Wu Zheng said his farewell, Vickie hung up and locked her phone.

 

 

"We don't have stubborn kids, huh?"  Vickie looked over at Jinki on the other side of the table.

 

 

"We don't, they were just whining!"  Jinki defended himself, followed by Vickie's, Victor's, and Jinhee's laughter combined.

 

 

Afternoon came, and the sky was painted with pink, purple, grey, blue, and orange.  The sun was beginning to set, nearing the horizon very slowly.  Jinki brought his family down to an empty field where they were able to watch the sun set.  It was also a mini picnic since they had bought food they weren't able to eat at the mall.  Other things were also stuffed in the car: toothbrushes, toothpastes, tissue rolls, children's books, and others.  There was also a camping tent in the car, just in case the kids wanted to camp out anytime, and anywhere.

 

 

"Daddy, hurry!"  Victor screamed as he and Jinhee ran off and played in the field.

 

 

Vickie helped Jinki with the food and other things, marveled by the amazing site before her.  "How did you know about this place?"

 

 

"Oh, well, I found it on the Internet."  He replied, walking side by side with Vickie to the field.  "Seriously, though, I did.  I looked it up and it was near where we live.  I've always wanted to go here."

 

 

"Why didn't you go here alone before then?  You had plenty of time," Vickie was puzzled.

 

 

"Yes... but you're either at work, or resting.  I wanted to go here when you're free, with you and the kids, not alone."  Jinki replied.  His answer relived the blush Vickie had had a lot of times before.

 

 

They invited the kids over to sit down and eat what they had named as their dinner.  The meals they bought seemed to magically taste so much better as they ate, waiting for the sun to set.  Jinki noticed the bottom part of the sun seeming to get sliced.  He pointed at it and the kids looked at where he was pointing at with their curious eyes.

 

 

"The sun is setting, guys, look," he said.

 

 

The kids' mouth turned into perfect circles, "Whoa."

 

 

Slowly, but surely, the sun began its setting.  They were all watching it descend, the 'sliced' part of the star becoming larger and larger, until it was halfway through.  It was starting to become darker, and when the last piece of the sun disappeared from the horizon, all of them felt a surge of emotion that they couldn't clearly comprehend, but knew it was one of the best feelings ever.

 

 

"Again, again!"  The kids squealed in happiness.  It was like they had just witnessed the best magic trick ever.

 

 

"We'll have to wait, guys," Vickie laughed at her kids.  They were up and singing, running around their parents.  They were trying to hold onto their caramel apples, which their hyper mode.

 

 

It was now officially night time, around eight in the evening.  Jinki and Vickie were yawning from time to time, smiling in between so they could ignore their tiredness.  The kids, however, showed no desire of resting.

 

 

Jinki had an idea.  "Does anyone want to camp out here tonight?"

 

 

"Me!  Me!  Me!"  Victor and Jinhee raised their hands up, giant smiles on their lips revealing their caramel-tinted teeth.  Jinki looked over to Vickie for permission.  She shrugged with a smile on her face, then he happily ran to the car to get the camping tent.

 

 

It was some time around 08:30 in the evening when they had finished setting up the camping tent.  It was difficult, but all of them working together were able to build it just perfectly.  The tent was very spacious, fitting more than four people.  There were also two extensions: one off to the left where they could store their items and food, and the other off to the right where they could place chairs and look at the outside without being attacked by insects because of the net covering.

 

 

After making the kids brush their teeth using leftover water from the bottled waters they bought back in the mall, Vickie and Jinki changed their clothes and dressed them up in their pajamas.  Vickie and Jinki also managed to change into their sleeping outfits by using the storage extension of the tent one after the other.

 

 

"Bedtime!"  Jinki motioned the kids over from the net-covered extension of the tent.

 

 

"Read, mommy," Victor demanded.  He sat down in front of Vickie, waiting for story time.  Jinhee yawned and sat in front of Jinki, snuggling closer to him, her eyes slowly drooping.

 

 

"Wait a second, then," Vickie crawled to the storage extension.  She looked around for books, and found one.  It was titled "Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown.  She found another copy of it, and thought Jinki could do something as well while she read.

 

 

"Mommy, what's it say?"  Victor pointed at the books.

 

 

"It says 'Goodnight Moon', dear.  It's our story for tonight," she smiled, handing the other copy to Jinki.  "Daddy will make the sounds while mom reads, right, daddy?"

 

 

"Yup!"  Jinki nodded his head.  "Wait, what?"

 

 

Vickie laughed, "You'll see, you'll see."  She opened the book while the kids waited patiently, "'In the great green room, there was a telephone'..."

 

 

Jinki finally understood what Vickie meant when she looked at him, as if she was waiting for something.  He made a noise that resembled a telephone ringing which made the kids laugh.

 

 

"...'And a red balloon.  And a picture of the cow, jumping over the moon.  And there were three little bears sitting on chairs, and two little kittens, and a pair of mittens.'"  Vickie read, then Jinki impersonated a cat meowing.

 

 

She read and, not long before the she reached the ending of the book, the kids were soundly sleeping.  Their chests heaved up, then down, their lips made into cute pouts.  Jinki handed her his copy of the book to which she stacked silently back in the storage extension of the tent.

 

 

"They're all really beautiful, aren't they?"  Jinki remarked quietly, smiling down at their children.

 

 

Vickie was also smiling, "They are."

 

 

Jinki looked up from the kids to Vickie's sparkling eyes, "We did a good job."

 

 

"Oh my goodness, go to sleep," Vickie laughed quietly, her cheeks painted red.  She fixed the blankets covering Victor and Jinhee, making sure they were all covered up.  She zipped up the window of the tent closed to shield out the moonlight.  She lied down followed by Jinki on the other side.

 

 

"Good night, Vic," Jinki whispered.

 

 

"Good night," Vickie answered.

 

 

"I love you."

 

 

"I love you, too."

 

 

A tightening silence gripped over the both of them.  Vickie chuckled and whispered, "Go to sleep, Jinki."

 

 

Jinki laughed, "I will, I will.  Good night."

 

 

"Good night," Vickie replied, the smile still plastered on her face.

 

 

And just like that, they all slept comfortably in the tent.  Jinki slept in the front by the entrance while Vickie was in the back, their kids in the middle.  Years ago, the thought of them having children never entered their heads.  Jinki, personally, didn't even think they would end up together, married happily.  Vickie thought... of almost nothing, apart from everything else around her.  Back then, she sang to earn money.  But now, she began singing for the fun of it, for the fun of her children.  She sang for Jinki, the one she believed was the best blessing she was given.  She sang for life, and life sang for her a song that will always stay playing in tune in all of their lives, all of our lives.  They are their song, and that will last forevermore.

 

 

 


-