c h a p t e r twenty-nine

You Are My Song

 

 

 

WECANSHARETOMORROWANDFOREVERMORE

 

 

 

The most beautiful day of everything in the lives of two people has come.

 

 

Inside Jooyoung's apartment where Vickie was being turned from her usual attire to a goddess-like look, the mess was excruciatingly obvious.  Inside Jooyoung's head, she was panicking, picking up trash here and there as she tried to avoid the stylists she hired to arrange Vickie for that oh, so, very special day that was bound to happen in a few hours.

 

 

However, Vickie...  She was probably the happiest woman on Earth at that time.

 

 

Her gown was worn by a mannequin the same size as her, standing off in one corner of the apartment where it wouldn't be tackled down and ruined.  When the gown came, she didn't have the courage to open it up, so she decided to wait until the wedding day to finally see it.  Her eyes twinkled as she turned her head to look at the dress: it was the same wedding dress in the catalogue, but it was so much more darling in person.

 

 

"Vickie, look here," one of the stylists called for her attention.

 

 

"Oh, sorry," Vickie smiled as she apologized.  She looked back into the mirror as the stylist brushed her face daintly with a brush dotted with a very light blush.

 

 

The girl in the mirror in front of her was so much more different.  Her hairstyle changed in a matter of several minutes, looking as elegant like a Greek or Spartan woman.  Her makeup was very light, but her hidden beauty came out because of it.  The eye makeup used on her was semi-smoky, making her look like she just walked out of a Vogue or Vanity Fair magazine.

 

 

"Close your eyes," the stylist instructed, and Vickie did so.  She felt a thinner brush her eyelids, and when she opened her eyes, the semi-smoky look had a touch of glossy dark olive green to it.  It was like she was the daughter of the chief of a tribe living inside nature.

 

 

"Okay, man, stand straight."  One of Jinki's cousins ordered him to do.

 

 

"I can't, it feels weird."  Jinki complained.

 

 

"Do you want to get married or not?"

 

 

"Of course, I do..."  Jinki trailed off, ashamed that he was looking like he didn't want to at all when he really did.

 

 

"Alright then, stand straight.  Do not slouch."  His cousin instructed one last time before he stood straight finally.

 

 

Even though outside Jinki looked pained, inside there was a party.  As his cousin straightened his tie and broadened the ends of his polo, he wanted to run around Jonghyun's apartment and scream really loudly.  His hands twitched, but he calmed them down.  He would scream later on, he thought, after the kiss.

 

 

"Dude, sit down.  You need to get your makeup done."  One of Jinki's office mates said.  His office mate's girlfriend was the one assigned to do his makeup.

 

 

"Oooh, makeup," the guys in the apartment cooed sarcastically and laughed out loud.

 

 

Jinki glared at all of them as he walked to the vanity table and sat down on the chair, the light bulbs around the mirror blinding him almost.  He let his office mate's girlfriend work on his face, trying to make him just a bit more handsome, appropriate enough for the wedding.  After just five minutes, his makeup was finished.

 

 

"And for the final piece of your outfit, brother," Jonghyun walked out of a room holding Jinki's white tuxedo.

 

 

"Hurry up, butler," Jinki hurried Jonghyun up, laughing a little.  He was starting to get more excited each minute.

 

 

He set his arms behind and Jonghyun placed the tuxedo where Jinki could reach his arms inside the sleeves of it.  Once he had finally wore it, Jonghyun jokingly brushed his shoulders.  Jinki straightened the tuxedo and his tie, looking at himself in the mirror.

 

 

"There we are, sir, now you are ready for the royal carriage."  Jonghyun backed up and bowed a little, making all the people in the living room laugh.

 

 

"Oh my goodness, you are so pretty!"  Jooyoung squeaked as all the other girls in the flat began clapping.

 

 

Vickie looked down at herself, analyzing the gown from the bottom up.  She twirled around, making her hair sway with her gracefully, "You think so?"

 

 

"I think so?  I know so!  I can't wait until we get to the church," Jooyoung squealed again.

 

 

Both Jinki and Vickie, at the same time, in different places, sighed dreamily.

 

 

The talking in the church began growing louder, the chattering of the adults and the future godparents echoing in the church.  Little children ran around, and those who were assigned to be flower girls ran to their positions at the entrance of the church holding their little baskets of rose petals.  The ring holder, which was Wu Zheng's cousin's youngest son, stood beside one of the flower girls, one of Jinki's little cousins.  They smiled at each other, and those who noticed cooed sweetly.

 

 

The orchestra specially hired for the wedding waited in their seats, checking the strings of their instruments.  The conductor walked around the players, checking of everything was ready.  The wedding singer was a close male friend of Vickie and Jinki back in college who had such pleasant voice it made you swoon instantly.

 

 

Jinki stood by the altar, anxiety written all over the entirety of his body.  He began sweating, and we wiped each moist off with his handkerchief that was beginning to be soggy.  Jinki's cousin who helped him arrange his tie patted his shoulder and assured him everything was going to be alright.

 

 

One of the bridesmaids by the door raised a thumbs-up high in the air, and everybody in the room were muttering the same thing: "She's here."

 

 

Jinki sighed of relief, and soon, the grand doors of the church opened, revealing an extremely beautiful lady wearing an extremely beautiful wedding gown, veil covering her face.

 

 

People in the church held their breaths, and the women were seriously jealous of Vickie.  Wu Zheng had his arm out for Vickie, and they began walking, behind the flower girls and the ring bearer.  The conductor smiled before he instructed the orchestra to begin playing.  The wedding singer raised the microphone up to his lips, waiting for the right note, and began singing softly.

 

 

"You are the song, playing so softly in my heart.  I reach for you, you seem so near and yet so far,"  He sang wholeheartedly as the audience used their eyes to follow Vickie down the aisle and their ears to listen to the beautiful song.  "I hope and I pray, you'll be with me someday.  I know down inside, you are mine, and I'm your... true love..."

 

 

Jinki, out of all of the people there...  His heart began beating really quickly.  It was like college all over again, when he first set his eyes on Vickie.  She was so beautiful then, and much more beautiful now.

 

 

"...Or am I dreaming?"

 

 

Jonghyun was quietly sobbing off in the second row of the left side of the church, proud of his friend.  Jooyoung rubbed his back as she watched Vickie walk ever so slowly on the red carpet.

 

 

"How can I?  Each time I try, you say goodbye," the singer placed his hand over his chest, singing with all his heart, "You were there.  You look my way, I touch the sky."

 

 

The flower girls were throwing rose petals up in the air, picking them one by one so as not to waste the petals.  They enjoyed everything the most even when they had the littlest of ideas what exactly was going on.

 

 

"We can share tomorrow and forevermore, I'll be there to love you so," the singer paused to ready his voice to sing a bit higher, "You are my song..."

 

 

After what seemed like forever, Vickie reached the middle of the aisle.  Jinki had the urge to walk over to where Vickie was or tell her to hurry up.  He wanted to say 'I do' already.

 

 

"I know for sure that we were meant to fall in love.  I look in your eyes, I know what you're thinking of," the singer sang, "I try not to say, the words that might scare you away.  I know down inside, you are mine and I am your true love.  Please, no more dreaming..."

 

 

Three-quarters of the aisle was walked on already, and only one-fourth was left.  Jinki grinned widely, his eyes becoming smaller.  His cheeks were tainted pink, and a tear escaped his eye.  He didn't wipe it away.

 

 

"How can I?  Each time I try, you say goodbye.  You were there, you look my way, I touch the sky," the singer was adding to the love with his song, "We can share tomorrow and forevermore, I'll be there to love you so.  You are my song..."

 

 

And, finally, Vickie reached the end of the red carpet.  Wu Zheng let his arm down and enveloped Vickie in a soft hug, kissing her cheek before he left to go sit down.  Vickie walked the rest of the way.  She met Jinki by the altar, and they both looked into each other's eyes with the same amount of anticipation to say their vows.

 

 

The pastor blessed them in the name of the Lord, and read parts of the Bible where verses about marriage were written.  He asked the crowd if anybody was in objection of the marriage of the two young ones in front of him.  Everybody was stiff for a second, but breathed in relieve when no one uttered a disagreement.

 

 

"Do you, Jinki Lee, take this woman, Vickie Song, to be your wife, according to God's holy decree; do you promise to be her loving and loyal husband, to cherish and keep her in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, to be faithful only to her as you both shall live?"  The pastor asked with a smile.

 

 

Jinki looked from the pastor into Vickie's sparkling eyes, "I do."

 

 

The pastor smiled again and turned to Vickie, "Do you, Vickie Song, take this man, Jinki Lee, to be your husband, according to God's holy decree; do you promise to be his loving and loyal wife, to cherish and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, to be faithful only to him as you both shall live?"

 

 

Vickie replied without hesitation: "I do."

 

 

The pastor stated the importance of the ring, and instructed that Vickie and Jinki were now able to exchange rings.  "And now as a token of your love and of your deep desire to be forever united in heart and soul, you, Jinki Lee, may place a ring on the finger of your bride."

 

 

"Vickie Song, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness to you."  Jinki said and placed the ring around Vickie's ring finger.

 

 

"By the same token, Vickie Song, you may place a ring on the finger of your groom."

 

 

"Jinki Lee, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness to you."

 

 

 

 

After the exchange of the rings, the pastor looked at the crowd as he spoke: "In as much as Jinki Lee and Vickie Song have consented together in wedlock and have witnessed the same before this company, and pledged their vows to each other, by the authority vested in me by the Lord Jesus Christ, I now pronounce you husband and wife.  Jinki, you may now kiss the bride."

 

 

 

 

The crowd cried, including Wu Zheng, and Jonghyun, of course.

 

 

 

 

Jinki slowly lifted the veil covering Vickie's face.  "You look beautiful today."

 

 

 

 

Vickie smiled, "And you look more than handsome."

 

 

 

 

They both smiled, and the distance separating both of their faces disappeared as Jinki's lips grazed Vickie's.

 

 

 

 

The wedding singer smiled before he sang the last line, "You are my song."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

LET ME JUST