c h a p t e r seventeen

You Are My Song

 

 

 

DREAMTTHISMOMENT

 

 

 

Taipei, Taiwan's Taipei Songshan Airport was the nearest to the hospital where Vickie was checked in, so that's where the hospital brought her and her father.  She was delivered straight to the quarantine area of the airport, where all the other people were confined.  There, she had to wait for some time before she would be taken to the plane she was going to fly in.  Nurses were filing in and out of Vickie's room.  One nurse told Wu Zheng that his flight would be thirty minutes earlier than Vickie's.  He was reluctant at first, but he realized that was for his daughter's best.  He was also told that he would land in Gimpo and not Seoul.

 

The waiting area for EVA Air was not so packed as Wu Zheng thought it would be.  Wu Zheng's flight was a regular business class flight, for even if he had given the company's responsibilities to his vice president, he was still considered a respected businessman.  People were surprised to see the president of Song Electric Company in the airport with an anxious look on his face.  Wu Zheng didn't pay attention to them.  Soon, his plane announced its boarding and he was the first one to line up at the gate.

 

"Miss, why is my dad not here yet?"  Vickie asked the nurse.

 

The nurse briefly stopped checking the dextrose attached on the back of Vickie's hand.  "He has a different flight, dear, but we'll arrive at Gimpo at the same time he will."

 

"Gimpo?  I thought we were going to Seoul,"  Vickie said.

 

"Yes, well, adjustments were made to your itineraries.  And the hospital where you'll be treated is located there."  The nurse smiled at Vickie.  "Go to rest, you'll need it."

 

Softly, Vickie nodded.  She leaned her body fully on the reclining chair she was sitting on.  She quietly closed her eyes, praying or the safety of her dad's flight.

 

"Why am I the one who's going to pick up the vice president again?"  Jinki asked his department's boss.  He was finishing unfinished work from yesterday and, as he was about to finish one-fourth of it, he was asked to pick up the vice president from the airport.

 

"Because nobody else wants to do it since they're all working their butts off.  You're almost done with your work."  His boss said.

 

"Why can't Minho do it then?"  Jinki asked again, referring to his travel-maniac work mate.  "He'll be more excited to do this than me."

 

"Minho's still not back from his vacation."  Jinki's boss cleared out.

 

Jinki groaned.  He shifted his body weight from his left leg to his right.  He stared intently at his boss with sincere boredom.

 

"And he's still not over that accident in Gimpo when we were on our way to our company trip."  His boss added.

 

Jinki remembered that accident.  Apparently, Minho fell asleep in the waiting area, and when he woke up, his things were gone.  His passport and boarding pass were part of the things that were taken.  He was guilty that he had delayed the flight of the entire company, and was furious over who took his belongings.  The culprit was a mere airport cleaning staff, who assumed that his things were trash since they were with empty McDonald's wrappers and such.

 

"You know what, whatever."  Jinki waved the matter off.  "I'll do it and just get it over with."

 

"Good.  I knew you would say yes."  His boss said.  "I'll have my secretary tell you when you can leave.  Just use the company car to go there."

 

Jinki turned around and was ready to leave.  He didn't need to bow since his boss and him were the same age, and on the first day his boss said they didn't need to be polite with him.

 

"Oh!"  Jinki's boss addressed, making Jinki turn back around.  His boss pulled something out of his desk drawer then quickly walked to where Jinki was.  "Before I forget, here.  You'll need this."

 

Jinki accepted the laminated white card his boss gave him.  The card had the vice president's name on it, then the company's name below.  He mumbled a quiet thanks to his boss then left.  He could go anywhere right now, but Gimpo Airport was not one of them.

 

"Flight BR 1224, EVA Air, destination Gimpo International Airport, Seoul, South Korea, is now boarding."  Songshan Airport's intercom system boomed all around the establishment.  The notification was repeated once more to have Flight BR 1224's passengers ready to board.

 

Once again, nurses came rushing in and out of the quarantine area and in Vickie's room.  The same nurse earlier helped her sit on the wheelchair that had a thin metal pole attached to it, a dextrose bag hanging in the top end.  Some of the patients in the quarantine area were brought out, and soon Vickie was being led to the quarantined passengers' boarding gate.

 

Vickie was led to a special area in the aircraft, where quarantined passengers like her were placed.  The space between each chair in that part of the plane was much bigger than that of the business class area.  Minutes later, the plane announced its takeoff.

 

"The plane's not full yet though,"  Vickie notified the nurse beside her.

 

"It's safer for your health if the plane's not cramped."  The nurse said, checking Vickie's vital signs.

 

Vickie laid her head on her chair.  She was right beside the window, so she could see the people otuside walking or in cars that hauled huge compartments full of suitcases behind them.  She closed her eyes as the plane drove out of its parked position.  As the aircraft was zooming on the runway and finally lifted off the ground and into the sky, Vickie couldn't explain the sudden headache she was feeling.

 

Jinki had been waiting for minutes in the airport near the exit.  The white card in his hands was going limp, especially because his arms were starting to hurt from holding the card up too long.  Every time people in suits were about to leave the airport, Jinki would hold up the white card, but nobody came near him.

 

Taking advantage of less passengers leaving the airport, Jinki went ahead and bought a cup of coffee at a nearby coffee stall.  He had had his lunch two hours ago, and his stomach was aching from hunger again.  He gave up and satisftied his appetite's needs.  He bought a disappointingly expensive ham sandwich that lessened his pocket budget to about a half.

 

"This,"  he said as he violently unwrapped the costly sandwich,  "is one of the many reasons why airports ."

 

Ten more minutes and Jinki was finished eating.  His stomach was happy, but he was the complete opposite because of his disappointment in the price of the sandwich.  As he threw his trash away, somebody tapped his shoulder.  He turned around, facing a man in a black suit.

 

"You are Lee Jinki of Seoul Aviation System?"  The man in the black suit said, his suitcase standing behind him.  A leather briefcase was on top of the suitcase.

 

"Yes, sir."  Jinki had an idea he might be the vice president.  "You are Vice President Kim?"

 

The man in the black suit smiled and nodded his head.  Jinki bowed ninety-degrees, and Vice President Kim did the same.

 

Vice President Kim held his hand out for Jinki to shake,  "Nice to meet you, Mister Lee."

 

Jinki liked the sound of that.  'Mister Lee.'  "It's my pleasure meet you as well, Vice President Kim.  This way, please, sir."

 

More people flooded the exit, much to Jinki's fortune.  The vice president followed and waited with him for all the people to be gone.  When Jinki looked across the airport on the other side, he saw two figures of a man and a woman he was very familiar of.  Figures he had never seen in eight years.  He was surprised to see a white mask plastered on the woman's face, and was even more surprised to see nurses surrounding them.  The man turned around and locked eyes with Jinki.

 

Wu Zheng stayed close to his daughter as they were being led out of the airport by the nurses.  Media men were on their way, notified by a nurse to him.  They needed to quickly get out of the airport.  Wu Zheng decided to turn around to check for any man with a camera, but saw somebody else he never expected to see.  He wasn't angry when he saw him, but he was surprised just as the other man was.

 

Wu Zheng stood in front of his daughter, unaware of the fact that Vickie was already looking in the same direction as Wu Zheng was.

 

 

 


 

 

 

HEY GUYS! HEY NEW SUBBIE!

SO I WAS GONNA POST THIS LAST NIGHT, BUT A LITTLE ACCIDENT HAPPENED (AS I'VE STATED IN THE STORY FEED) AND I WASN'T ABLE TO PUBLISH IT.

BUT TODAY I AM! AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING! WE HAVE NO SCHOOL FOR 3 DAYS, SO I GUESS THAT GIVES ME MORE TIME TO UPDATE.  YAY! XD

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THANKFUL FOR?  SHARE IT IN THE COMMENTS AND...

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!

*I'm thankful to have you guys as my readers ᄏᄏᄏ ♥  모두 정말 사랑해요 ~