c h a p t e r five

You Are My Song

 

 

 

 

CAN'TBELIEVE

 

 

 

 

The next morning, Thursday, Vickie woke up first.  She let Jinki sleep in her bed, while she laid a white comforter on the carpeted floor below and slept there.  Her back ached the whole night, and her pillow kept on bugging her since it seemed as though it was a deflating balloon.  Vickie hated it when her pillow becomes too flat that her sleeping position becomes parallel to the comforter.  In the end, she placed her pillow at the edge of her bed, where Jinki wouldn't be disturbed whenever he turns to his right side.  When Vickie woke up though, instead of an aching back, she had an aching neck and legs because they were curled for seven hours.

 

 

Vickie sat up, rubbing the back of her neck with a hand and the other hand massaging her legs and thighs.  She tried to tilt her neck quickly to the other side, and although it hurt, in the end it didn't hurt as much as it did ten seconds ago.  She also tried straightening her legs out, to which she failed.  But on her second try, it was successful.

 

 

Vickie stood out of her comforter and walked around her bed.  A white envelope on the floor a feet away from the open slot underneath the door caught her attention.  She bent down to pick it up, and her back made a cracking sound, sending a groan out of .  Vickie opened the envelope quietly, so as to not wake up Jinki who was soundly sleeping, but not snoring.

 

 

Dear Students,

             Thursday to Friday, August 9 and 10, 2001, are special holidays for all the staff and students.  Our district supervisor had mailed special messages out to all the schools in our district about today.  For the first time in our school's fifty years of establishment, and our district's sixty-two years, August 9 and 10 are official holidays for all staff and student in our district.  This is to have our students rest from their one-day math examinations, and to prepare them for the upcoming day (Monday), which will then the grades will be posted all around the school for the students to see.

                 We thank everyone for their hard work daily, and have a safe holiday!

 

University of Seoul Staff and Administrators

 

 

After the letter was read over and over again, Vickie wasn't able to hold in her squeal.  This had Jinki fluttering his eyes open and slowly sitting up, seeing a jumping Vickie in front of him.  Vickie's woohoo's were followed by the other students outside.  Too bad they were girls.

 

 

Jinki covered his ears.  What's going on?!

 

 

Vickie briefly stopped her jumping.  It's a holiday today!

 

 

What?!  Jinki asked loudly, still covering his ears because the screams of the girls outside were getting louder one by one.

 

 

There's no school today or tomorrow, Jinki!  No school!  Vickie danced around her bed and threw the letter to Jinki for him  to read.

 

 

Jinki read the letter.  And read it again.  Then he read it again, until he finally had a grasp of what all the screaming was about.  Jooyoung busted in the room, screaming loudly, holding the same copy of the piece of paper in Jinki's hand.  Vickie and Jooyoung danced around while talking all about what they could do in two holidays, and another two for the weekends.

 

 

Suddenly, Jooyoung realized somebody else was in the room with her and Vickie.

 

 

Jooyoung pointed at Jinki, looking back and forth from him to Vickie.  What's he doing here?

 

 

Oh, he fell asleep here yesterday after the test.  Then we watched a movie, and it was too late for him to go back to his dorm so I just let him sleep here.  Vickie explained to Jooyoung, smiling.

 

 

Jooyoung raised her eyebrows.  Is that even allowed?

 

 

Uh, of course.  Jinki butted in.  There aren't any rules about it.

 

 

Jooyoung and Jinki locked looks, as if conversating secretly using telepathy.  They were, of course, "talking" about that one conversation they had Tuesday night about Vickie.  It was good that even when Vickie completely didn't have any idea of what was going on, she was the type of person who would brush off things she wasn't interested in.

 

 

So, Jooyoung, what are you going to do today?  Vickie asked excitedly, her eyes twinkling.

 

 

Jooyoung set aside her matter with Jinki for a second and turned to Vickie.  Oh, I don't know.  Shop?!

 

 

The girls laughed, mainly Jooyoung because that's exactly what she was planning to do ever since then.

 

 

How about you?  Jooyoung asked Vickie, grinning.

 

 

Well, I don't know about today and tomorrow.  But on Saturday, I'm going to my gig.  Vickie said happily, but her tone changed when she said her addition to her plans.  Then on Sunday, my dad and I are going to SCC.

 

 

Jooyoung's expression changed as well.  Don't worry, Vickie.  It'll be okay.  Why don't you take Jinki with you and your dad?

 

 

That's actually a good idea, Vickie, since I also wanted to go to thank your brother for the pin.  Jinki tried to lighten the atmosphere by smiling.

 

 

Vickie smiled as well.  Thanks, Jinki.

 

 

Jinki was happy.  The butterflies in his stomach were also happy.

 

 

I'd better get going now.  Jooyoung said.  The malls might have heard about the district holiday, and if they run out of heels, I'm going to cry.  Bye, Vickie!

 

 

Vickie smiled.  Alright then, Jooyoung.  Take care!

 

 

Jooyoung smiled and slowly walked away.  When she passed by Jinki, she looked to him at the corner of her eyes and said:  Bye, Jinki.

 

 

Jinki rolled his eyes.  Be quiet.

 

 

Jooyoung smirked and finally made her way outside.  The other girls were settling down now, since a staff visited them and tried to calm them down.  Vickie closed the door, and walked over to Jinki.  She sat down right beside him on the bed and looked at him, smiling.

 

 

What are we going to do today, hm?  Vickie asked with hopeful eyes.

 

 

Jinki couldn't look straight into them, but he managed to do so with all the leftover energy left in his body.  I want to go to the park.

 

 

Vickie chuckled.  Okay then, we'll go.  Then she frowned at Jinki's hair.  Look at your hair, it's so messy.

 

 

Jinki froze.  What was he going to do?  Vickie was fixing his hair, touching every single strand and putting them in place.  While Vickie arranged his hair, Jinki couldn't help but stare at Vickie.  Any second now, his cheeks would be burning red and he'd have to look away.  But before his cheeks turned cherry, Vickie was finished with his hair and looked back at him.  Jinki looked away.

 

 

Vickie laughed.  Go on, change your clothes.  I'll meet you by the bush.  Or you meet me by the bush.

 

 

You're so pretty.  Jinki thought.  Then he said:  Alright then, I'll go change.

 

 

And then when he was outside of Vickie's room, he leaned back on the door, and thought of how close his face was to Vickie's.  He could have made that kiss come true.

 

 

Not now, though.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

OKAY SO...

HELLO YOU GUYS!

TODAY IS SEPTEMBER 11TH, THE DAY OF THE TWIN-TOWER BOMBING.

TELL ME, WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO TODAY?

AT SCHOOL, MY FIRST PERIOD CLASS COMMEMORATED ON TODAY BECAUSE OUR TEACHER HAD FRIENDS WHO WERE INVOLVED IN THE BOMBING.

:(

YESTERDAY WAS MY BIRTHDAY THOUGH HEHEHE

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!