c h a p t e r twenty-eight

You Are My Song

 

 

 

YOU'LLBEWITHMESOMEDAY

 

 

 

"Is this really necessary?"  Vickie looked back at the door where Jooyoung was standing, briefly stopping from packing a small bag with her clothes and other amenities.

 

 

"Yes!  Of course, it is.  This is to add anticipation for your wedding, Vickie, and to surprise Jinki on your wedding day tomorrow!"  Jooyoung threw her arms up in the air.  "Now keep packing your things.  Jinki's office mate will be here any minute."

 

 

Their wedding day was only a night away, and Jooyoung was trying to 'make things better' for the couple.  She decided it would be fun if Vickie and Jinki didn't see each other for the rest of the day, and they will only see each other again when Vickie enters the church wearing her wedding gown.  The two disagreed, of course, but after Jooyoung's continuous insisting, they gave in.  They didn't want to lengthen the conversation, that would eventually turn into an argument, and into a transaction.  Vickie was going to Jooyoung's apartment while Jinki was to stay in his work mate's flat.  The bride's makeover was also going to be performed in Jooyoung's, and at Jinki's work mate's flat for his own makeover.

 

 

"This is really stupid, Jooyoung," Jinki walked in the master bedroom of their house where Vickie and Jooyoung were.  "We'll see tomorrow, anyway.  Why do this?"

 

 

"Because it's fun!  Stop being such a party pooper and just go with the flow, goodness."  Jooyoung retorted.

 

 

At the same time, a car honked outside.  Jinki left to go check, but he already knew who it was.  Jonghyun was dragged into Jooyoung's plan by herself, and the guy agreed.  Jooyoung had asked him if he could stow Jinki away into his apartment just for one night and he said yes.  He didn't even know who Jooyoung was, she could have been some lonely old lady that had a young-and-single-office-men , but he agreed anyway.

 

 

"Tell me why you would agree to this."  Jinki sighed as he lazily opened the door, letting Jonghyun come in.

 

 

The visitor had a huge grin on his face as he entered.  "That Jooyoung girl sounded like she's somebody.  Is she pretty?"

 

 

Jinki closed his eyes and rolled them, opening them right when he was done.  "She's a monster.  She's trying to torture me and my future wife.  And you're joining in, too.  You both are monsters."

 

 

"I think you need some ice because you need to chill, Jinki."  Jonghyun said, watching Jinki plop on the couch.  He jumped next to him, noticing a duffel bag on the table in front of them.  "Brother, this is fun!  This is an excellent idea.  This is so that you get to appreciate Vickie more, especially tomorrow.  I think you should thank Jooyoung, actually."

 

 

"Thank her, my ."  Jinki scoffed.  "Tomorrow is our wedding, and I at least want to spend this day together with Vickie.  Alone.  There is no 'Jonghyun and Jooyoung' in 'Jinki and Vickie'.  I'm not going to thank a monster."

 

 

"Whatever, you're just sappy because you're going to die missing Vickie.  I bet all the billions I don't have you won't even last a second once we leave this house."  Jonghyun checked his nails for any dirt.

 

 

"Can you stop checking your nails all the time?  It's really disturbing."  Jinki scrunched his face.  "And I'm not sappy.  I just don't like this...  whatever this is."

 

 

"And we're ready!"  Jooyoung brought, or dragged, Vickie outside as she held Vickie's bag with her free hand.

 

 

Jonghyun looked up to where the loud voice came from, and his jaw dropped.  He thought Jooyoung just sparkled in front of him.  He turned back to Jinki, "Wow.  She is pretty."

 

 

Jinki tightened his jaw, rolling his eyes once again.  He stood up and faced Jooyoung, "I really don't want to do this."

 

 

"Me, neither."  Vickie mumbled.

 

 

"Stop, guys.  This was supposed to be fun!  Right..."  Jooyoung looked at the grinning guy in front of her, looking for back-up.  "Right?"

 

 

"She's right, guys!"  Jonghyun nodded his head like a puppy, the grin occupying most of his face.

 

 

"Okay, you take Jinki to your apartment while I take Vickie to mine."  Jooyoung instructed, then realization hit her.  "You're Jinki's office mate, right?"

 

 

"Yes, I am.  Jonghyun Kim, at your service, mademoiselle."  Jonghyun batted his eyes and bowed elegantly, introducing himself like he was the prince of some place important on the map.

 

 

"Ah, tu parles français?"  Jooyoung was almost impressed that she had to show off some of her French skills acquired from working with French patients at the medical center.

 

 

Jonghyun became stiff.  He scratched the back of his head, "I don't speak French, sorry."

 

 

Jinki laughed as Vickie chuckled as well.

 

 

"That's alright, I know very little of it."  Jooyoung smiled.  "Anyways, we'll be going now."  She turned around and grabbed Vickie's wrist, dragging her outside.

 

 

"See you tomorrow, Jinki!"  Vickie struggled to keep up with Jooyoung.

 

 

"Vickie, wait—"  Jinki tried to make her come back, but Jooyoung slammed the door close before he even said anything more.  He just sighed, and looked at Jonghyun.

 

 

"So," Jonghyun pointed at the door with his thumbs, another one of his playful grins on his face, "shall we go?"

 

 

Jinki stared at him, his eyelids drooping over his eyes in a bored expression.  He snatched the strap of the duffel bag and left Jonghyun standing in the living room alone as he walked out of the house, just wanting everything to get over with.

 

 

"And that's nice, too."  Jonghyun nodded his head and followed Jinki out the house.

 

 

Later that night, both Jinki and Vickie moved about in their respective beds.  It was like they knew both of them couldn't sleep, despite of the distance separating them.  Vickie continued staring at the wall off to her side while Jinki counted sheep and looked for patterns in the ceiling.  They tossed and turned, hummed songs and thought of boring things, but they could not sleep.

 

 

Jinki caught a glimpse of his phone.  A bulb lit above his head as he dialed Vickie's number.  After a couple of rings, Vickie's phone began vibrating on the nightstand.  She reached over and smiled at the caller.

 

 

"Hey," she bit her lip, trying to contain her growing smile.

 

 

Jinki sighed dreamily, "Hey, honey.  Did I wake you up?"

 

 

"Nope," Vickie sighed as well, "I couldn't sleep."

 

 

"Me, neither."  Jinki laughed silently.  "Why can't you sleep?  You need it for tomorrow."

 

 

"Well..."  Vickie turned to her other side, her bedsheets ruffling.  "...I don't know.  I just couldn't.  Why can't you sleep?"

 

 

Jinki knew his cheeks were painted a light red because of what he was going to say, but he just let it go, no matter the cheesiness, "I couldn't stop thinking about you."

 

 

"Of course, of course."  Vickie giggled.  "I guess... I couldn't stop thinking about you, either."

 

 

In response, Jinki snickered as well.  Quietness took over them, their phones not stopping its timing of their call.  They didn't mind the peacefulness.  Words weren't particularly needed at the moment.  Just the knowledge that the two of them were talking and thinking about each other was enough.  Perfectly enough.

 

 

"I miss you, Vickie," Jinki said into the phone.

 

 

"I miss you, too," Vickie's smile dropped a little.

 

 

"Go to sleep," Jinki said.

 

 

Vickie shook her head even when Jinki wasn't physically present with her, "You go to sleep."

 

 

Jinki chuckled.  "No, really, go to sleep.  I'll stay up, I won't hang up on you."

 

 

"No," Vickie smiled again, "once I'm already asleep, you need to go to sleep, too, okay?"

 

 

"Okay, I will."  Jinki smiled.  "Good night, Vickie.  I love you."

 

 

"I love you, too," Vickie bit her bottom lip once again and went to sleep peacefully.  Jinki kept his promise and stayed up until 12:30 in the morning, and when he heard Vickie's stable breathing on the other line, he closed his eyes.

 

 

That night, they both dreamt of how beautiful their wedding looked like.

 

 

 


 

 

 

OMG GUYS

SO MUCH ROMANCE I CAN'T HANDLE THIS

ANYWAYS

I APOLOGIZE HEAPS FOR NOT UPDATING IN THE WEEKEND, BUT HERE IT IS NOW!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!  LOVE YOU ALL!