c h a p t e r four

You Are My Song

 

 

 

 

RIGHTFORYOU

 

 

 

Hey, don't be so mean, said Vickie, her eyes sparkling as they turned into horizontal slashes when she smiled widely.

 

Jinki laughed.  But I'm not being mean.  I just don't like you wearing green.

 

But I put effort in my outfit today.”  Vickie pouted her lips jokingly.

 

Jinki grinned and pinched Vickie's nose softly.  And I love it.

 

Vickie quit pouting and wrapped her arms around Jinki's neck.  Happy anniversary, love.

 

Jinki placed his arms around Vickie's waist.  He closed his eyes, leaning in and grazing his lips against Vickie's, who also had her eyes closed.  It was a perfect day for the couple: warm summer, at the Namsan Tower where the love locks were gathered in figures that looked almost like Christmas trees.

 

The two ended their sweet kiss, smiling at each other, their foreheads touching.  The summer wind blew, Vickie's hair flowing graciously, almost sending Jinki down to the ground to faint.  She was really beautiful, although she was wearing a green dress and Jinki didn't like it.  But that didn't matter, because the green dress didn't lessen Vickie's grace.

 

Vickie unwrapped her arms around Jinki's neck, but Jinki didn't let her go.  That's alright, though.  She looked far out down at the bottom of the tower, the roads looking like toy train tracks and the people seeming like walking sticks.  It was like everything bowed before them, before their exquisiteness altogether.

 

Jinki looked out as well, admiring everything Vickie admired.  But he admired Vickie more than everything combined.  Vickie was a precious, rare jewel to Jinki, that he didn't want anyone else to have.  The feeling was mutual, if you'd ask Vickie.  It always was that way, and it always will be.

 

You know, Vickie said, making Jinki's eyebrows meet together, there's this one thing I don't get.

 

What is it, love?  Jinki asked.

 

How we've been here for about three hours and we still haven't signed our love locks.  Vickie poked Jinki's nose, creating a grin out of those once pursed lips of confusion.

 

Lovey, I was about to tell you that.  Jinki sweetly retorted, rubbing his nose against Vickie's.

 

The couple laughed heartily, oblivious of everything else around them.  Even though there were other couples surrounding, the couple didn't seem to see them at all.  They were happy, giddy, and lovely and content about what they had at the moment.  They had each other, and that was what mattered.

 

Hey, Jinki-ah, wake up,  a deep voice erupted out of nowhere.

 

Jinki looked around, confused, but Vickie wasn't.  The next thing he knew was that he was groaning, and a lamp was lit brightly in front of him.  He opened his eyes to see Vickie in her pajama outfit.  That was when he realized all that laughing and teasing and that one kiss weren't real.  But he felt that kiss, and he was sure of it.

 

Vickie held up a cup of noodles for Jinki to see, who was still adjusting from being in a perfect dream to the reality he'd always wanted to be the perfect dream.  You haven't ate, so I got dinner from the cafeteria.

 

Jinki sat up on Vickie's bed, rubbing his eyes.  He slowly got the cup of noodles from Vickie's grip, securing the chopsticks on top of the cup with his thumb.  Carefully, he placed a pillow on his lap where he rested the cup on.

 

What about you?  Did you eat yet?  Jinki asked.

 

Vickie was unwrapping a package on her vanity table.  Well, I ate a piece of wheat bread.

 

That's not dinner.  Jinki's voice was firm. It made Vickie turn to him.

 

It's alright, don't worry.  I'm not that hungry.  Vickie reassured Jinki and continued destroying the brown wrapping paper around the package Vickie's dad sent her.  After she had ripped all the brown paper, a red blanket appeared in front of her.  There was something hard inside that blanket, though.

 

 

Oh, my gosh.  All that Vickie could say when she had removed the blanket from the real package.

 

 

Jinki, look.  Vickie turned around, holding up the unwrapped package.

 

 

Vickie held up a portable DVD player with her hand and a couple of DVD tapes with her other hand.  Jinki almost spilled the noodles on Vickie's bed, but gladly he didn't.  The DVD player's charger was also visible, only it sat on the vanity table.

 

 

My dad is so good at smuggling things!  Vickie chuckled, laying the player and the tapes on her bed.

 

 

Right when she did that, her stomach growled.  Jinki looked up to her, Vickie looked down to him, and Jinki rolled his eyes.  Vickie went ahead and grabbed a pair of chopsticks from a dining utensil kit her dad smuggled in her suitcase on her first day of college.

 

 

Vickie jumped right beside Jinki on the bed, and Jinki had an electrifying feeling he really loved.  They were close, just like in the dream.  If only destiny was nice enough to trip Vickie when she jumped to bed, then Jinki would have landed his lips right on Vickie's without questions asked.  If only, that is.

 

 

What do you want?  We got Big DaddyHow the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Shrek.

 

 

Shrek!  I want Shrek!  Jinki screamed like a little kid.

 

 

Vickie rolled her eyes and smiled.  Okay, sweetie, we'll watch Shrek’.

 

 

Jinki grinned real widely, not because they were watching Shrek, but because Vickie called him Sweetie”.  Imagine, it only took one for-kids movie to have Vickie call him a sweet word.  What is going on?

 

 

Vickie plugged the charger into the player and the end to a wall outlet near her bed.  She pressed on the Open button and securely placed the disk once it was opened.  After the player had done scanning the disk, the Dreamworks introduction began playing.

 

 

The two watched the movie while sharing a noodle cup.  Even though they had their full attention to the movie, they still ate very slowly so they wouldn't finish the noodle before the film was even finished.  Especially Vickie, since it wasn't her food.

 

 

But, you know that Jinki doesn't mind.  He actually quite likes it.  The silence that enveloped them, sharing the same meal, sitting on the same bed near each other, laughing together—all were likeable to his opinion.

 

 

And the most likeable one out of the rest is sitting right beside him, eating the noodles that was supposed to be his dinner.