c h a p t e r thirteen

You Are My Song

 

 

 

 

REASONILIVE

 

 

 

Months have passed and the two still hadn't lost contact of each other.  They exchanged letters and phone numbers, so they could talk to each other and hear each other's voices.  A night without a single conversation killed the both of them on the inside, which resulted in them staying up for hours and waking up with deep eyes the next morning.

 

 

Years have passed and the two lost contact of each other.

 

 

No more calls, no more messages, no more letters, no more good-night kisses, no more anything.  It was as if they have ran out of things to say to each other.  Prior to their lost of communication, they still talked, but their conversations became shorter.  The hours became minutes, the minutes became seconds, until the seconds became years of nothing that kept them strong.

 

 

They wanted to let go, but they couldn't.

 

 

They wanted to end everything, put a period at the end of their long sentence.  They stopped talking to each other anyway, so what was the point of holding on?  But there was still a part of them that reminded them of the memories they spent together, and they spent alone.  They wouldn't want that to go waste, but there was another part of them that told them it was useless to stay strong.  They both made good arguments.

 

 

The ceiling above Vickie became a blur as she stared at it, blanket over her lower torso.  The air coming out of the air-conditioner was the only sound in the room apart from Vickie's steady breathing.  Her calendar was in the year 2009.  Eight years have passed ever since she left Seoul.  She doesn't want to go back anymore.

 

 

Vickie?  The door to Vickie's bedroom creaked, her dad peeping through the small crack.

 

 

Vickie didn't move.  Yes, dad?

 

 

I'm going to work, darling.  Wu Zheng opened the door halfway.  There's breakfast on the table.

 

 

Vickie sighed and blinked.  Alright, dad.  I'll be out later.  Take care.

 

 

Wu Zheng softly walked to Vickie's bed and sat down at the edge of it.  Vickie, you need to go to work sometime this week.  They've been looking all over for you.

 

 

Dad, you own the company now.  You can fire me whenever you want.

 

 

Vickie, I just...  Wu Zheng partially closed his eyes before he spoke,  I want you to set a good example for your work mates.  After me, you'll be in charge of the company.

 

 

Slowly, Vickie sat straight up.  Tomorrow, then.  I'll go back to work.

 

 

Wu Zheng flashed her a small smile before he stood up and kissed her forehead goodbye.  After he had closed Vickie's bedroom and exited the house completely, Vickie was left frozen in her bed sitting.

 

 

She hugged her blanket-covered knees, her voice threatening to weaken.  Why did everything have to end this way?

 

 

Jinki, I really need you to pay attention in group meetings more.  The president of Seoul Aviation System said, his hands clasped in his desk.

 

 

Jinki lowered his head.  I apologize, sir.  I've been having some issues back home.

 

 

Let me remind you, Jinki, that you are one of the bests in this company.  The president said.  And as one of the bests, you need to be able to separate home from work.  Set your priorities according to where you are and focus on your field.

 

 

I apologize again, sir.  I won't let it happen again.  Jinki stood up, and bowed his head low in front of the president.

 

 

The president waved his hand.  Everyone in the company participates, Jinki.  I trust you, I suggest you make the best of that.

 

 

Yes, sir.  My apologies again.  Jinki looked straight into his boss's eyes then left, closing the door behind him softly.

 

 

Outside the door, he sighed heavily, his chest heaving up then down.  He tried to remember what his boss said, that he needs to able to separate home from work.  He had kept that in a special place in his head, setting it as his mental note.

 

 

Without his own will, Jinki reminisced of things that issued him back at home.  His mind traveled from the table in the dining room overflowing with letters and pictures and cell phone bills.  The letters and the pictures were addressed from Taiwan, and the cell phone bills were from a phone line in Seoul stating the price he should pay for using international calling to call someone in Taiwan.

 

 

His mind traveled from the dining table to Taiwan.

 

 

As he was on his way back to his office, he imagined what Vickie would have been doing now.  He imagined her dressed formally but humbly as everybody greeted her in their company.  He imagined her sitting down and typing away in her computer, then a worker coming in to hand in documents to her.  He imagined her in group meetings and how lively she participated in them, capturing everyone's hearts with each word she says.

 

 

His mind traveled from the dining table to Taiwan then to Vickie.  Then everything faded away suddenly, and a sulking Vickie appeared in his head.  He saw her crying herself to sleep at night when she didn't get a reply from the letter she wrote to him.  He saw her not attending work anymore for weeks and months.  He saw her being ill.  All because of him.

 

 

I don't believe in telepathy,  Jinki thought in his head as he entered his office,  but Vickie, I hope you keep in mind I still love you.

 

 

The breakfast in the flat white plate looked mushy in front of Vickie.  She forked the fried egg down and tried to eat it, only to place it back down on the plate untouched.  She felt sick without reason and her head hurt really badly.  She staggered her way to her bedroom, dialing her dad to let him know she might be sick.

 

 

Wu Zheng picked up his phone, stopping his typing on the computer.  Hello?

 

 

Dad, I...  Vickie held her forehead.  She couldn't bear the pain anymore.

 

 

Vickie?  Hello?  Vickie, darling, what's wrong?  This sent Wu Zheng in panic.  He quickly grabbed his briefcase and set his computer on sleep.

 

 

Dad, my head hurts, I can't—

 

 

All Wu Zheng heard was a thud on the other line.  His eyes widened as he hurried out of his office.

 

 

Wu Zheng's secretary stood up from her chair,  Sir?  Sir, where are you going?

 

 

"Cancel all of my meetings and let the vice president take charge of the company for now.  My daughter needs me."  Wu Zheng finally left his office and his secretary in a dumbstruck state.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

SO I JUST NOTICED THIS STORY GOT 2 VOTE-UPS...

I LOVE YOU ALL SERIOUSLY.  LIKE THE 2 VOTES JUST SENT ME GRINNING CRAZILY.  I LOVE YOU ALL EEEP!

UPDATING MORE IN A LITTLE BIT KEKEKE~

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!