c h a p t e r twenty-four

You Are My Song

 

 

 

EVERYTHING'SHERE

 

 

 

"This is the last test we'll have you run under, Vickie, and if we get good results, you'll only need to stay for a bit more days, then you can check out."  Doctor Choi smiled as the nurse stood behind Vickie, ready to move her into the room.

 

Jinki squeezed her shoulder, "You'll be alright, Vic, believe me."

 

Vickie squeezed his hand, looking back with a smile, "I know."

 

Finally, the nurse pushed Vickie inside.  She told Jinki to wait outside the door as they run the last test on her.  Jinki nodded and sat down on the chair patiently, turning his phone around and around in his hand.  Vickie's final test was to see if her body was entirely free of leukemia cells.  If there were still some cells left, she still has to say, but if there's none, she can leave and proceed onto her life.

 

Another visitor came running down the hall.  "Where's Vickie?  Is she here? What's going on?  Oh my gosh, Jinki?!"

 

"Jooyoung?!"  Jinki's upper lip curled upwards in doubt.  Jooyoung was wearing white scrubs that were the same as those other nurses in the hospital.

 

"Ah!  Is Vickie in there already?"  Jooyoung sat down beside him, eyes big with many questions.

 

"Yes.  She just got in, actually."  Jinki said, then she remembered Jooyoung's sudden appearance.  "W- What are you doing here, anyway?"

 

"What am I doing here?  I work here!"  Jooyoung's eyes got even bigger.  Jinki thought she was starting to look like an owl by each second.  Jooyoung's eyes became small again, then she smirked.  "Hey.  I saw what you did yesterday."

 

Jinki's confused face suddenly turned shy.  "Stop."

 

"You proposed to her!"  Jooyoung tried to tickle him while he shielded his body from her.  "You proposed to her, you proposed to her, you proposed to her—"

 

"It's not funny, stop,"  Jinki covered his growing smile and scarlet cheeks with his hands, "Let's just wait for Vickie to get finished."

 

"Yeah."  Jooyoung laughed, her eyes turning into little slits.  "Let's."

 

The two waited.  Jinki couldn't keep still, so he stood up after sitting down for ten minutes, sat back down, stood back up, until Jooyoung finally told him to choose whatever posture he wanted because she was starting to get dizzy.  He chose to sit down.  Jooyoung fiddled with her phone.  People passed by them in the corridor.  The once happy atmosphere became anxious as they waited for Vickie to get out of the testing room.

 

Meanwhile, inside the testing room, Vickie was ran under a machine again where she was scanned from head to toe with a red light.  She wasn't so scared anymore as her first test, but there was still a part of her that wanted everything to end right then and there.  She could just see the sweat beads on Jinki's temple.

 

Then, as if her dear prayers were answered, she felt the machine has been switched off, the bed she was on being pulled out slowly.  She kept her eyes closed just as she did last time.

 

"Open your eyes, Vickie," the nurse said softly.  Vickie obeyed, opening her eyes to be welcomed by a warm white light brightening the room.

 

She was helped to sit up by the same nurse, also brought back to her wheelchair.  Doctor Choi told her that she would be brought back to her room, and that he would tell her the results of the test later in the day.  Vickie agreed, then she was led out of the room.

 

"Vickie!"  Jinki got out of his seat.  The sweat beads Vickie was expecting to see were visible on his face as Jinki embraced her tightly.  "Are you okay, honey?"

 

"'Honey'?"  Jooyoung asked, standing up as well.

 

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Vickie laughed.  Then she remembered there was somebody else who were with them.  "And hi,...?"

 

"Hi!"  Jooyoung jumped, waving her hand.  Vickie smiled nervously, unsure of why the girl was excited.  Until...

 

"Jooyoung?!"  Vickie gasped.  Her eyes were pretty big at the sight of her one and only girl best friend.

 

"I had the same reaction, believe me."  Jinki muttered, his hands on the armrests of the wheelchair.

 

The nurse butted in.  "Jooyoung, why are you here?  Aren't you supposed to be—"

 

"I'll bring Vickie to her room!"  Jooyoung smiled.

 

"But—"

 

Jooyoung pushed her work mate towards the elevator.  "I'll bring her to her room!  Bye!"  Her work mate sighed.

 

"You're rude."  Jinki commented, standing up.

 

"And you're slow.  You just proposed to her yesterday?  Come on, Jinki."  The latter retorted.  She knew she won since Jinki stayed quiet, looking down, and Vickie laughed.

 

"Let's just say there were things that happened."  Vickie's laugh slowly died down, a grin playing on her face.  The more she thought about the distance and the years in between her and Jinki, the more she thought they were just obstacles to keep them strong.

 

The three of them went to Vickie's room.  Wu Zheng was there already.  He welcomed them warmly and asked them to stay since he had to get something from the car.  Jooyoung had to leave as well if she wanted to keep her job.  Only Jinki and Vickie were left in the room.

 

"So," Jinki walked over to Vickie's bed with a sly look on his face, "what are we going to do?"

 

"Well... I don't know."  Vickie smiled a goofy smile with a light chuckle in the end.

 

Jinki sat down  in front of her on the bed, the look still obvious on his face.  "I know what we're going to do today."

 

"Really?  What?"

 

As an answer, Jinki scooted closer to where Vickie was sitting.  The latter's eyes grew bigger, unsure of what was going on.  Jinki continued to stare at Vickie's eyes, then her nose, her cheeks, her lips...

 

"I wonder how your lips..."  Jinki caressed Vickie's cheek, then looked straight into her eyes, "...taste like."

 

He slowly neared Vickie's face and, just as their lips touched, he began to attack Vickie's waist with tickles.  Vickie wasn't prepared, of course, since she thought Jinki was really going to kiss her.  The two of them were laughing really loudly that their chuckles could be heard all the way outside in the hallway.  Vickie's hair was starting to get all over her face, her head waving from laughing too hard.  Jinki enjoyed her laughing; he thought it was the most beautiful sound he has heard all day.

 

"Are you guys having fun?"  Wu Zheng entered the room, carrying a duffel bag in his hand.

 

"Y- Yes!  J- Jinki was tickling me— Stop, Jinki!"  Vickie couldn't even talk from laughing too hard.  Her dad was satisfied to hear her laugh that hard again.

 

Somebody knocked on the door.  Wu Zheng went ahead to get it while Jinki and Vickie stopped laughing.

 

"Oh, Doctor Choi!  Nice to see you again."  Wu Zheng welcomed the doctor into the room.  He was told earlier the day before that Vickie would have to be ran under her last test.

 

"Hello, Mister Song, Vickie."  Doctor Choi greeted.  He saw Jinki.  "And?"

 

"Jinki Lee, sir."  Jinki stood up and bowed at the doctor.

 

Doctor Choi nodded his head.  "Oh, yes.  That brave man yesterday.  Congratulations, you two."

 

Jinki grinned and looked over to Vickie.  She was blushing madly.

 

"Well, just as I had told you, the results came in."  Doctor Choi flipped through the papers on his clipboard.  "And what we got may surprise you."

 

The three people in the room that were waiting for the news became quiet.  Doctor Choi continued flipping through the papers on the clipboard.  He looked up.

 

"The results say that," Doctor Choi looked for the results again, "Vickie, you are free of cancer cells."

 

And just like that, the silence that once surrounded the room disappeared like a bubble.  They sighed of relief, especially Jinki.  He was more than excited for his fiancée to get out of the hospital so they can start planning for their wedding.  He was giddy on the inside, grinning like a crazy person as he hugged Vickie tightly.

 

"W- What are we going to do now, Doctor Choi?  Now that Vickie's completely okay?"  Wu Zheng's smile was undeniable.

 

"You can start preparing for Vickie's dismissal from the hospital."  Doctor Choi said.  "Especially since she is now engaged, preparations should start a bit early."

 

That was weird coming from somebody else.  Jinki and Vickie were engaged.  It hasn't sunk in, but it was starting to.

 

"Well, thank you, Doctor Choi.  Thank you very much."  Wu Zheng bowed at him.

 

"It's alright, it's not only my doing.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back to my office."  Doctor Choi bowed.  "Congratulations again, and have a good day."

 

"You, too, Doctor Choi.  Thank you very much."  Wu Zheng thanked the doctor once again.  Doctor Choi left then he closed the door.

 

"Doesn't that sound so good?  'Vickie, you are free of cancer cells'.  Is it just me?"  Vickie sounded dreamy reminiscing the doctor's news.

 

"It's not just you, Vic."  Jinki leaned in and kissed her head.  "It's not just you."

 

 

 


 

 

 

HAAAAAIII

I'M SORRY I COULDN'T UPDATE YESTERDAY.  I WAS SICK AND YEAH...

AND SORRY FOR THE LAME ENDING OMGGGG

THIS STORY HAS 5 VOTES

/SEIZURE

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!