c h a p t e r eight

You Are My Song

 

 

 

 

ACHANGEINTHEWEATHER

 

 

 

 

Saturday, August eleventh in the year two thousand and one, six-thirty in the morning, Vickie was awake editing and revising her song for the gig later that day.  For some odd reason, she was nervous.  The people at the bar were more into head-banging and heart-jumping music, not lullabies.  Her mind wandered off into a greater perspective, making her think that this is probably going to be her last day as a musician.

 

 

Don't think so negatively, Vickie.  You can do this!  She cheered herself up, raising a fist up in the air before resuming to writing.

 

 

Scribbles and lines through words, notes and cues and doodles of cute monsters roamed all over the music sheets in front of Vickie.  Some mentioned how many seconds she was to sing the certain line, while some were encouragements with emoticons of all sorts that say things like Go, Vickie! or YOU CAN DO IT! all in English and Korean.  She was stressed out, looking less than half of the goddess she was yesterday morning.

 

 

At 07:06 a.m., the revising was finished as Vickie dozed off sleeping.  Her fingers loosened their grip on the pencil in her hand, letting it drop to the floor.  In as quick as five minutes, Vickie was dreaming that the bar's manager talked to her privately, firing her for singing a song not to the customers' liking.  Ten seconds after her boss had pushed her out of his office, Vickie's eyes opened and she found herself up and walking outside to the cafeteria to get breakfast.

 

 

Less than a handful of people were there, and all of them were on their way back to their dormitories or some other place in or out of the campus.  That was normal since it was a Saturday.  Vickie scratched the side of her chin, still anxious about how she was going to pull off a new genre at her gig.  She was the only student there at this time.

 

 

She went ahead and grabbed a random paper bag and a cup of hot cocoa, proceeding to the register to pay.

 

 

You're earlier than usual, Vickie,  the lady at the register remarked.  Vickie handed her identification card to the lady for her to scan.  After that she gave her the paper bag to check what was inside.  The lady gave Vickie her card back as well as the paper bag.

 

 

I guess so, too,  Vickie said, accepting her items back from the lady.

 

 

Well, I hope it's not because of a bad thing.  Have a good day.  The lady by the register flashed a reassuring smile at Vickie.

 

 

Vickie smiled as well.  You, too, Miss.

 

 

The walk back to her dormitory was quiet, apart from the usual "Good morning, Night Matinee!" greetings by her classmates from Philosophy.  She wasn't in the mood for anything, so she just said good morning back, trigging shocked faces from her classmates.  She usually glared at them whenever they greeted her using that terminology.

 

 

Vickie opened the door to her room and, once she was inside, flopped down on her bed immediately.  She placed her hand inside the paper bag, pulling out whatever was inside.  She was lucky enough to have gotten chicken sandwich than the sausage sandwich, which was more like rubber sandwich.  She took a bite off of the chicken sandwich and a sip from her hot chocolate.  Not long after, she had polished off her food and was back to the staring at the music sheets.

 

 

Why am I even making this harder than it already is?  She asked herself, messing her hair up so that it looked as if she was electrocuted.

 

 

Are you done?

 

 

Vickie's eyes widened as she slowly turned around.  Jinki stopped leaning on her door and walked over to her, a strange look on his face, arms folded in his chest.  His lips were fixed into a half smirk, his eyes glaring at particularly Vickie.  The glare wasn't the kind that said the words I hate you, but more like Why don't we do something else? in a dangerous way.

 

 

Well, thank you; that made me feel better.  Vickie groaned and turned back around, snuggling her head into her arms as she put her head down on the table.

 

 

Jinki was up to nothing, obviously.  He, himself, doesn't know why or how or what he was doing there, acting as if he took control over everything.  He wrapped his arms around Vickie, nuzzling into her neck as he kneeled down.  Vickie was too busy being thinking about her gig and the manager who was probably filling out a termination paper for her to even notice Jinki's actions.

 

 

Why are you worrying so much, Vickie?  Jinki's hot breath on her neck broke all of Vickie's contact with her anxiety.  She raised her head up to look at the Jinki who looked as if he were drunk.  He wasn't, though.

 

 

Vickie noticed the arms around her as well.  She threw her head back down on to the table, closing her eyes as she pondered on what clearly was going on at the moment.

 

 

She wasn't particularly sure whether Jinki looked for an answer, but she gave him one.  I feel like this is the last day of me being a singer.

 

 

Why is that?  Jinki asked softly, his voice like satin.

 

 

Vickie looked up again, but this time her cheeks had tears rolling down on them.  Her eyes were of really light pink, puffy and watery.  Her lips trembled as she threw her arms around Jinki's neck, sending the both of them sitting on the floor.

 

 

Jinki didn't know what to do with the kneeling and crying Vickie in front of her.  She sobbed into his neck, like a little girl who got lost and finally found her owner.  Vickie's arms tightened around Jinki, but not too tight that he wasn't able to breathe.  In fact, he could, but there was a lump building in his throat as he rubbed Vickie's back, trying to calm her down.

 

 

It's going to be alright, Vickie.  It's going to be; don't worry.  He assured her, closing his eyes as Vickie continued on crying.

 

 

How a- are you sure?  Vickie managed to retort in a hiccuping tone.  The missing parts of the words she said were stuck, adding onto the blockage in .

 

 

Because I know.  Jinki's odd masterly attitude earlier had vanished.  Don't cry anymore, please.

 

 

Vickie paused, only to let out another even louder sobbing.  Jinki was trying to hold back his tears; he didn't want Vickie crying.  First because Vickie never cried this long over things.  She did, but they were only a matter of minutes.  A matter, not a ton, and this time it was a ton of crying that seemed to be endless.  Jinki couldn't take it anymore.

 

 

He held Vickie's shoulders and pulled her carefully away from him.  He placed the hair strands curled up sticking on Vickie's cheeks away from her face.  He wiped the tears away from under her eyes with his thumbs.  Vickie cried, holding his hands with hers as he dried her face up slowly.

 

 

Later, when we get to your gig and you're up on the stage to sing, don't think about the song.  Don't think about what kind of music the people there like, and don't doubt yourself.  Don't think about your manager, and look for me in the audience.  Just look at me while you sing.  Don't cry, okay?  I don't like it when you cry.

 

 

Vickie nodded her head after trying to process Jinki's instructions in her head.  A little smile spread across Jinki's face, sending a grin on Vickie's.  She quickly resumed on embracing him while he hugged her back, rocking her back and forth in his arms.

 

 

Thank you, Jinki.  Really.  She said, smiling in between her last tears.

 

 

Jinki had managed to smile as well.  You're always welcome, Vickie.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

SO MUCH EMOTION IN THIS CHAPTER TT_TT

WELL, HEY GUYS! I'M BACK WITH ANOTHER UPDATE HEHEHEH

THIS IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST PART OF THAT DAY & THE SECOND WILL BE UPDATED IN A MATTER OF TIME HEEHEE ^^

HI, NEW SUBBIE! THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING! I HOPE YOU'RE ENJOYING MY STORY <3

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!