Chapter 18

The secret in my heart

HyoMi picked up a tube of lipgloss, unwound the cap, and then used the wand to slick on a brilliant red gloss onto her lips. She put the tube back into her wallet and eyed herself in the mirror of the restroom, pulled down her upperlip to make sure the gloss spread all of her lips. Making her way into the party, HyoMi attracted many guys’ look with her black evening dress, showing off the pure beauty of a charming lady. Don’t be so surprise! It had been five years already. The childish and boyish little girl HyoMi featuring a thick hoodie didn’t exist anymore. She finally grew up.

“Let’s enjoy this party!!!!”, someone shouted out from the crowd in the middle of the dancefloor. Everybody had fun celebrating one year meeting since they had graduated from the University. But HyoMi felt blue with it.

Straightened the tail of her skirt before sitting down on the chair, HyoMi picked up her glass and drank it all up.

“Are you that thirsty?”, DongWoon was about to clink his glass with hers but it seemed that he was a bit late.

HyoMi shrugged her shoulders and showed him the empty glass, “Sorry…”

“It’s okay!”, DongWoon also emptied his, “Do you want to dance?”. He put the glass down on the table and shook his head to the dancefloor.

Again, coldly, HyoMi refused, which made Minzy standing near there so surprised. Waited until DongWoon disappeared into the crazy crowd, Minzy poured more wine for HyoMi and clank their glasses, “What is happening?”

Minzy could understand if HyoMi acted expressionlessly with other guys, but DongWoon? No way! He was always one of the closest guys to HyoMi, even his best friend, YoSeob had to be jealous of their close relationship. There must have been something mysterious happening.

HyoMi emptied her glass into , “I have a blind-date with him tomorrow”

“WHAT? YOUR AUNT SET IT UP AGAIN?”, Minzy choked and almost spitted out while she was drinking.

HyoMi let out a long sigh and buried her head into her hands, “She said she wanted me to get married… NOW!”

“OMG!”, Minzy pulled a chair from behind and sat down next to her friend. “She wants you to get married to DongWoon… NOW?”

“I’m going crazy!”, HyoMi ruffled her hair, “What should I do? All I want to do now is to run away!”

“Well…”, Minzy finished the last sip of wine and smirked, “When you feel like there’s no way out. Love is the only way!”

What Mizy said got HyoMi thinking a lot. Her heart started searching whether there was something called ‘love’ in her memories. She had spent all five years being busy with school works and projects, becoming the best stylist that all the famous celebrities want to have in their staff. She felt a bit regret, though, that she hadn’t at least gone on a date or listened to a guy’s confession. Was it the main reason why she turned out so lonely now? Despite that fact, HyoMi’s mind still claimed that she had got someone really close to her heart… that guy!

Suddenly, they changed the music into something much softer and sweeter. How coincidently, it was the song she hadn’t heard for years. “This song…”, HyoMi pensively listened to it. Her feelings were blended into something really hard to describe. The flashbacks flew through her mind and it was stingy like a sharp paper cut her brain into two separating parts. All it takes was one song to bring back so many memories.

HyoMi held her heart with both of her hands. Minzy’s words and the song dug up the pack of memories that she had hidden deeply at the bottom of her heart. Everything she had tried so hard to forget was coming back to her. The secret in her heart was found.

==

Knock knock knock. HyoSung’s aunt woke HyoMi up. It was the tenth time or more she called her niece, but no reply was heard. She twisted the handle and how amazingly, the door wasn’t locked. Immediately, she stepped inside to check whether something bad happened to HyoMi and she was shocked because the room looked emptier than often. With a big suspect, she opened HyoMi’s closet and exactly like was she thought, no clothes were left.

She turned panic. Asking the butler and all the maids in the house if they had seen HyoMi, she started to worry about what kind of reason she should give out to cancel the blind-date.

“Misstress HyoMi had gone on a trip with Master Zelo…”, the butler replied with his head bending down.

“Zelo left for a trip to Ijakdo today, didn’t he?”, Zelo’s mother threw herself down on the couch and crossed her arms in a huff.

==

HimChan got out of the cab and hurriedly dashed into the house. He couldn’t wait any longer to meet HyoSung. Spending a long time on the plane, HimChan fought against the boredom sitting alone just to wait for this moment. HyoSung smiled down at him from her window then also ran out to him. They squeezed each other as soon as they faced. It was a three-moth date of them. Like a schedule, every three months, HimChan would take a flight to Paris in order to meet HyoSung and stay with her for a week, then flew back. It sounded strenuous but they didn’t mind at all.

Laying his lips on hers, HimChan grabbed HyoSung’s waist and almost crashed her with his tight hug. All of his missing her for three months was released through that passionate kiss.

The couple gasped when they heard their aunt shouting on the phone.

“What’s happening?”, HimChan widened his eyes because he had never seen her being like this before.

“HyoMi’s gone! She went on a trip to Ijakdo with Zelo…”, HyoSung answered calmly. She didn’t feel worried because now HyoMi wasn’t a kid anymore, she was allowed to do whatever she liked. In fact, HyoSung knew that her aunt just worried about the blind-date, not HyoMi. It was hard for her to find the right words to make an excuse for this disappearance of HyoMi.

“I-jak-do? Seriously?”, HimChan stressed the words to make sure that he didn’t mishear.

“Yes… wh-why?”, HyoSung also realized something…“So that’s why!”, HyoSung hit her own forehead as she understood what happened, “Last night before going to bed, she told me that she didn’t want to get married at this period of age, especially before I did. And if she had to, she would choose someone she loved, someone she knew… Now she’s going to Ijakdo…”