Chapter 11

The secret in my heart

“It was a rainy day. My father drove to work and because of the heavy rain, the road became slippery. HyoSung’s family’s car came from the other side. The accident just happened”, YongGuk sighed the second time.

“When we got the call, we arrived right away. Their parents couldn’t stay alive. My husband and a girl were taken to the hospital and another girl was left on the pavement. Nobody knows their identities as they were tourists…”, YongGuk’s mother stepped out from her room with a small box in her hand.

“Then why didn’t you just tell me? I’m old enough to handle the truth!”, HyunAe madly slammed the door and walked towards them. She was sobbing already. HyoSung also wanted to know the real reason so she followed HyunAe.

“My father killed your parents…”, YongGuk whispered but the room was silent enough for everybody to hear it, “because I was sitting on the passenger side and naughtily unlocked the door…”. YongGuk held his head with both of his palms. “My father leaned over to close the door so he didn’t see your parents’ car driving towards…”. YongGuk stopped for several seconds and continued, “I was the one who killed your parents and also my father…”

“YongGuk ah… is that true?”, HimChan and Zelo looked at each other. They couldn’t believe the truth either.

HyunAe burst into tears. Was that really the truth? No, she didn’t believe that!

 “We felt really guilty of making the girls become orphaned so we adopted the girl was left on the pavement… My husband also died several months later because of the serious wound… And we didn’t know anything about the other girl…”, YongGuk’s mother moved towards HyunAe and put the small box into her arm.

HyunAe took the box and stared at YongGuk, talked to him in tears, “You killed my parents…”

“HyunAe ah…”, the mother cut her off, “Ah… HyoMi… don’t blame him. He was just a kid…”, then she opened the box and took out a necklace. “This necklace is just the same with yours…”, YongGuk’s mother turned to HyoSung.

Zelo suddenly gasped and mumbled himself, “Then she is my cousin too… Gosh I almost my cousin…”

HyoSung looked at the necklace. There was also a ring just like hers. “There is my name inside mine…”, HyoSung received the necklace from YongGuk’s mother and looked inside it, “There is “Hyomi” inside this…”

“In case HyunAe would realize the necklace, we hid it away. It belongs to you, HyoMi…”, the grandmother turned to HyunAe, actually, HyoMi.

HyunAe collapsed on the floor. It was too much and she couldn’t take it anymore. The brother whom she always respected, loved and admired was the reason why her parents died. He wasn’t even her real brother. And she had been living in this house for fifteen years where everybody all told her the lies!

“HyunAe!”, YongGuk immediately came to her. HyunAe was unconscious on the floor.

 

==

 

“I’m very grateful that your family brought my sister up… But I’m sure that she doesn’t want to see you again. I know that it all was just an accident”, HyoSung received the coffee cup from HimChan and sat down next to YongGuk and his mother. They were sitting in front of the hospital room that HyunAe was inside.

“I do understand it even though you killed my parents and took my sister away… I won’t blame you for that. In fact, I appreciate that you made my sister as a part of your family. But…”, HyoSung sighed before saying such a painful truth, “HyoMi still can’t get over this tragedy. She won’t listen to anybody to forgive you. It’ll be better if your family disappear from her life…”

“We understand what you’re talking about…”, YongGuk’s mother cut him off before he was going to say something. YongGuk just turned away and shook his head. Waited until YongGuk gave up on refusing HyoSung’s offer, his mother continued, “I’ve been taking care of HyoMi as my daughter for fifteen years, of course I know her even more than you… And I’m sure that she won’t forgive us that easily…”

HyoSung nodded and felt relieved when she heard that. At least staying away from them would help HyoMi to recover faster.

“But please… just let us meet her the last time… she’s also very precious to us!”, YongGuk turned around to face HyoSung and begged. HyoSung nodded slightly with her hesitation.

HyoSung went in first to check if HyoMi was fine enough to meet them. “HyoMi ah…”, she sat down on the chair next to the bed.

“Unni…”, HyoMi slowly opened her eyes.

“HyoMi ah, I know the shock is too big for you… I’m shock too… They don’t hope for your forgiveness but before leaving, they want to see you the last time. Just let them talk to you okay?”, HyoSung persuaded her sister while rubbing HyoMi’s hair.

HyoMi thought for a minute and then nodded. HyoSung smiled and turned to the door, signaled YongGuk and his mother to get in. HyoSung left the room to give them a private conversation.

HyoSung closed the door and almost collapsed but HimChan caught her, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine”, HyoSung held her head, “Just a little dizzy…”

“Come here and take a rest!”, HimChan led HyoSung to the chair and helped her to sit down.

 

==

 

“I’m sorry…”, YongGuk stood behind his mother whilst she was sitting on the chair next to HyoMi’s bed.

“That’s all you can say? You always blame me a lot whenever I scold you. Now I’m scolding you, why don’t you blame me anymore?”, HyoMi raised her angry voice and yelled at YongGuk.

“HyoMi ah…”, YongGuk’s mother held HyoMi’s hand to calm her. “I know I’ve lied to you for fifteen years… so blame me too! Don’t just blame your oppa okay?”

“Oppa?”, HyoMi glanced at YongGuk, “I don’t even want to call him like that now! HE’S NOT MY BROTHER!”. YongGuk looked away to hide his bleeding heart. Although it was hurt, YongGuk would let her blame him the whole life if it could decline her anger.

“HyoMi ah…”, YongGuk’s mother hugged her, “we’re leaving now… We’ll never appear in your life again. I promise!”

“Eomma…”, HyoMi just called her unintentionally and cried again. Even though she wasn’t HyoMi’s physical mother but they had been a family for fifteen years. How could she accept the truth that this family killed her real family? Everything changed so quickly.

HyoMi turned away to cry when they both left the room. “Oppa… Eomma…”, she murmured. All of the sweetest memories about the happy family kept going around in her mind. How could she forget the time when she scolded him for giving her a late birthday present because he had to look for it everywhere as it was a favorite thing that she had unintentionally told him? How could she forget the time when their family made kimchi together with laughter and fun? How could she forget the time when she messed up with a bully and YongGuk was there fighting for her then they both had to hide mom?

But the more she remembered the memories, the more she couldn’t forgive them for being lied to her, for stealing her family away. HyoMi cried louder and louder because the pain was so bad.

“I will never stop loving you…”, YongGuk stood in front of the hospital and looked at HyoMi’s room’s window the last time. He knew that this day would come. He just wished that it hadn’t been that day…

 

-----------------------------------------------------

hasnida Now you got the answer for your question.

love-action Don't be too emotional, dear :)