Chapter 15

The secret in my heart

After seeing off HyoMi, her uncle and auntie, HyoSung watched over the plane flying on the sky through the giant glass window of the airport and turned to HimChan standing next to her, “Will you watch over me like this when I get on the plane?”

HimChan looked at HyoSung gently and it was hard to stop his mouth from flashing a happy smile. She was so accessible these days which made his heart skip a beat so many times. HimChan shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t think so…”

“Why?”, HyoSung felt a bit disappointed. That wasn’t the answer she expected to hear. It didn’t sound like HimChan at all.

“Well, because I’m sitting on the plane next to you so how can I do that?”, HimChan took several steps backward to avoid HyoSung’s hit even before she planned to hit him. This was the HimChan that HyoSung knew.

“Forget about that! Who will let you go with me?”, HyoSung shook her head and made a gesture with the hand to say “no”.

“Now you’re here alone. You can’t stop me!”, HimChan was so sure about that. Looking at his satisfied face, HyoSung felt uncomfortable to admit that he was right.

HyoSung crossed her arms and powerlessly stared at the steadfast-in-love HimChan. He was so nice and so kind for her to resist. However, HyoSung’s heart wasn’t ready to receive HimChan’s love or it was ready but she didn’t notice.

HimChan had never seen HyoSung being this friendly to him, talkative and lovely. Somehow he could feel that it was the right time for him to sneak into her heart and make it his. HimChan couldn’t wait any longer, “Sungie… Let’s go on a date!”

HyoSung wasn’t able to turn HimChan’s offer down. She knew HimChan had been trying so hard to get her so it would be cruel if she brushed away his suggestion. Thus, HyoSung decided to tell him all the reasons why she couldn’t take his love. She hoped HimChan would give up on her then he wouldn’t get hurt.

Their date location was the place where they met each other: the centre park of the city, under the giant Christmas tree. It was a week after Christmas but the Christmas tree was still standing there beautiful and splendid with many sparkle ornaments, twinkle stars and colorful lights. A year ago, HimChan found HyoSung there crying with a broken heart. HimChan couldn’t stand seeing a lonely girl sobbing so hard that she couldn’t even stand straight. As a destiny, his caring heart came to her and make friend with her. HyoSung felt so grateful that Santa gave her such a warm present after breaking her heart. Nothing will be taken away without being replaced with something much better. HyoSung always believed that. However, HyoSung couldn’t trust HimChan because of his playboy appearance. She just told him one of the two reasons why she was so depressed that day.

HimChan and HyoSung sat under the giant dazzle Christmas tree. It had been a year.

“Coffee?”, HimChan gave HyoSung a hot cup of coffee.

“So here we are…”, HyoSung received the cup from HimChan, “This is where we met”

“You were crying a lot. And couldn’t stand up after sitting there praying…”, HimChan looked at the Christmas tree behind him, “But you found HyoMi now! There’s nothing more to worry!”

“Well…”, HyoSung took a sip of coffee, “HyoMi wasn’t the main reason…”

“Really?”, HimChan felt nervous suddenly. He had never known there was another reason that broke HyoSung’s heart.

“Before you came, I didn’t use to look for HyoMi alone…”, HyoSung looked down onto the snow and turned the cup in her hand round and round, “My boyfriend was there to help me… My EX-boyfriend…”

“You’ve never told me…”, HimChan said with his caring voice. He could have blamed her for not sharing it with him but he didn’t.

“It’s hurt…”, HyoSung cut him off, “to talk about him”.

“Then don’t! Don’t ruin our first date!”, HimChan stopped HyoSung before she told him the truth and both of them would be unhappy.

“I have to! I don’t want to hide you anymore…”, HyoSung moved closer to HimChan to make sure that he would listen to everything she said.

“But…”

 HyoSung put a finger on his lips, “HimChan-sshi, you always listen to me. Please do that like often”

HimChan gave a deep sigh, “Fine… then tell me!”

“We had been dating for three years. KiKwang… He was very nice to me… He followed me everywhere to ask for HyoMi and was always there when I need him…”, HyoSung dug her boots under the snow and drew circles on the surface of it. She also felt baffled like these circles without any exits.

“Why did he leave you? I hope that reason sounds reasonable…”, HimChan wrapped his coat more closely as a cold wind passed by.

“It does! He was tired and fed up with being ignored by me whenever I got just a small piece of news about HyoMi. He felt like he was nothing to me and that I took advantage of him to look for my sister…”, HyoSung sadly said with her head hanging down.

“What is the matter? I don’t think about you like he did…”, HimChan refused HyoSung’s wrong thoughts about him.

“It’s not about you… It’s me! I realized how selfish I was…”, HyoSung lowered her voice. “I wasn’t able to take good care of him… and leave him alone with his loneliness. I don’t think I’ll be good enough for anyone… and that really scares me. I’m afraid that I’ll hurt you… I’m not a good girl. Find someone else!”.

HyoSung coldly stood up and tended to walk away but HimChan held her hand to stop her. “Sorry… I can’t let you go…”.

HyoSung gently snatched her hand out of his and walked forward. She told heself, “I’m sorry HimChan… I can’t let you be hurt by me. Thanks for being by my side the whole time…”

HimChan sat there and stared at HyoSung stepping away from him helplessly. He was drowned in pain and felt unconscious inside. When HimChan really woke up from the pain, HyoSung must have gone so far away. But no, he couldn’t give up this easily.

HimChan chased after HyoSung but she was nowhere to be found. He had run around this big park for many times. However, destiny seems to love this couple. HimChan heard a girl screaming near where he was standing, and that voice sounded like HyoSung.

Without wasting another minute, HimChan dashed to that corner of the street and found HyoSung was being threatened by a strange man with a sharp knife in his hand. HimChan rushed on without hesitation and pushed that man away from HyoSung then hid her behind his back before that man got up.

The man got up, smirked and held the knife strictly in his hand. “Ha! Who are you handsome guy? Dare to play a hero to save your princess? You’d better do what I say or someone will get hurt!”

“What do you want? You can do anything to me but please let her go!”, HimChan kept HyoSung safe behind his back and told her, “Don’t worry… I’ll protect you!”

“Really?”, the man the spine of the knife, “I’m very stressful and mad so I just want to stab someone…”. Immediately, the man dashed to HimChan and him with a knife.

HyoSung screamed out and turned panic but still calm enough to catch HimChan in her arms when he fell down. She sat down and let him lay on her thighs. Luckily, that crazy man felt satisfied and walked away, leaving them two alone on the quiet street. “Someone please help us!”, HyoSung shouted out but no one was there to help. HimChan’s tummy was full of blood and got weaker and weaker.

“HimChan…”, HyoSung touched his face and stuttered as she was shaking hard.

“Sungie…”, HimChan whispered with his weak breath, “I need to tell you this…”

“DON’T!”, HyoSung yelled to his face and held him tigher in her lap, “I won’t listen to anything until you wake up in the hospital!”. HyoSung’s face was full of tears, “Promise me that you’ll wake up at the hospital… PLEASE!”

HyoSung quickly called the ambulance. “PLEASE PROMISE ME!”

HimChan smiled and nodded slightly. Then he closed his eyes.

“HIMCHAN PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME!”, HyoSung was seized with panic and frightened. She didn’t know what to do while waiting for the ambulance. She shook HimChan hard to wake him up but he didn’t reply her. Suddenly, HyoSung kissed him while tears were running down her face and dropped on his. “Please don’t leave me…”

It seems that destiny doesn’t really love this couple. Is this the end for their love story?