Chapter 8

BitterSweet Love

tumblr_mbj9na1Ezy1r6qhzjo1_500.jpg

Siren echoed repeatedly in the once silence surrounding.

Donghae sat in the ambulance, staring at the lifeless body in front of him.

Minjung was hurt.

And being hurt was an understatement to her condition at the moment.

Her face was wounded, and her arms and legs were so badly bruised that you could hardly find an inch of her skin that was in good condition.

He pulled his jacket which covered her petite body gently, trying to cover as much as her exposed skin as possible.

Her clothes were all torn, and if only he was a minute later, she would have been.....violated by those bunch of beasts.

It was just unfortunate that he did not manage to save her in time when they pushed her down the stairs in the midst of running from the police.

Minjung' s eyes opened slightly at this time and stretched out her hand towards Donghae.

He wanted to hold her at once, but then, he decided to withdraw in fear of hurting her in any way.

The machine in the vehicle beeped wildly out of a sudden when Minjung started coughing.

The paramedics attended to her at once, and it was not long before she spat out blood, staining the entire oxygen mask.

"Minjung...you got to hang on...."

Donghae said anxiously upon seeing her state.

"You are the patient's....? How do I address you?"

One of the paramedics turned to Donghae and asked quickly.

"I....I'm Lee Donghae...and I'm her.....I'm her husband...."

He stuttered at the unfamiliar term.

"Mr Lee....you wife is in a very critical condition right now...please keep on talking to her....and do not let her go into sleep before we reach the hospital..."

The paramedic informed seriously as he led Donghae to sit beside Minjung.

She had closed her eyes by now, and she was breathing rapidly and hard.

"Minjung...wake up..you hear me...?

Donghae said as he touched her cheek softly.

He saw her trying to open her heavy eyelids, and she finally managed to look at him for a while.

"That's it. You are doing perfectly fine. And I want you to hang on like this....for me...okay?"

He took her blood-stained hand tightly this time, and he held back the tears that brimmed in the corner of his eyes.

***********************************************************

Minjung was being wheeled into the operating threatre immediately right after she reached the hospital.

"Dr Kim, please. You got to save my wife."

She heard Donghae talking in the background but she was too tired to open her eyes this time.

Her whole body was hurting, and she felt as if she was being ripped apart by force.

"Minjung...you will be okay you hear? I will be right here waiting for you..."

She vaguely heard him saying before she felt his touch again.

She forced herself to open her eyes, just in time to see Donghae giving her a small and warm smile.

How long she had not seen him smiling at her like this?

She could not remember as far as she knew.

But she knew it very well that this smile was out of pity for her.

She used her last bit of strength and pulled down her blood-stained oxygen mask.

"Hae...."

She muttered weakly.

"Yes, I'm here...I'm here..."

Donghae lowered himself and held her hand tightly.

"I...I have signed the divorce agreement...it's...it's in the second drawer in your study room.."

Minjung managed to make out at last.

"Please Minjung...don't talk about this now...I just want you to be well...nothing else matters..."

Donghae shook his head as tears dropped down from his eyes finally.

He could no longer hold back his tears for her.

How could he still remain unmove to such a kind-hearted girl who did almost everything for him, including giving up her life just for someone like him?

"And I want you to be happy Hae....and I know you will only be happy with her..."

She added on before she finally fell into a deep slumber after her last words.

***********************************************************

Minutes ticked by, then hours passed.

It had been almost five hours since the operation started.

Donghae was feeling helpless, and all he could do was to walk to and fro in front of the threatre.

The red light finally went off before he rushed up the doctor who came out a while later.

"How is she...Dr Kim?"

Donghae asked cautiously.

The doctor remained silence and solemn was written all over his face.

"We did manage to save her a life...but then..."

He stated slowly before he looked at Donghae seriously.

***********************************************************