Japan Week

Movie Magic

Good afternoon. This is your captain speaking. We are now approaching Nagoya, Japan. Our estimated time of arrival is 1:05 pm. We will be landing shortly. The seatbelt light is now switched on so please fasten your seatbelts. Thank you for flying with Korean Air.

"Omo! Hye Mi I'm so excited. This is our first time back in Japan together since Kirin. What do you want to do first when we arrive?" Baek Hee said while she was fastening her seatbelt. She was seated next to Hye Mi who was just looking outside the window, a bit spaced out.

"Aren't you excited?" Baek Hee asked again.

"Uh-huh." Hye Mi replied without even removing her gaze from the window.

Baek Hee noticed that Hye Mi's mind wasn't really there.

"Are you okay, Hye Mi?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine. What made you ask?" Hye Mi replied this time she was now looking at Baek Hee.

"I think something's bothering you." Baek Hee said.

"Huh?" Hye Mi looked as if Baek Hee was talking nonsense.

"You looked a bit spaced out. You haven't even fastened your seatbelt." Baek Hee said pointing at Hye Mi's unfastened seatbelt.

Hye Mi hurriedly fastened her seatbelt and looked back out the window again.

Baek Hee knew there was certainly something bothering her friend. Instead of urging her to talk about it, she decided not to persuade Hye Mi at all. She thinks she should give her space to think about things instead.


As soon as they arrived Hye Mi's mood began to change. She remembered the first time she visited Nagoya, Japan. The craziness of the Mafia wedding, the fun performance on the streets, the impromptu concert with their new-found Japanese friend, and the Ferris wheel.

Those were all happy memories, even the Ferris wheel. She realized that she should enjoy this trip and not let any problems back in Korea affect her here. She approached Baek Hee and apologized for being a party pooper awhile ago.

"No problemo. You can make it up to me by buying me a new pair of shoes from this cute boutique near our hotel." Baek Hee said with a smile.

Hye Mi just laughed and said "Just a pair okay?"


The Japan scences were the last scenes to be filmed for the movie.They were getting ready to shoot the street performance/dance battle scene. Baek Hee, Hye Mi, Sam Dong and Jason were chatting while waiting for the shoot to start. Jin Guk was the last to arrive due to prior engagements (fan meetings, tv guestings, etc.). Jin Guk saw the group chatting. He smiled and started to walk towards them. The group gave him their warm hellos except Hye Mi who excused herself from the group, saying she needed to get something from the van. She then walked pass Jin Guk without even blinking. Jin Guk was slightly bothered by Hye Mi's action, it's been going on for a while, but he didn't want the group to notice so he continued walking towards the group,flashed a huge smile and gave everyone a warm hug.

"Sam Dong! I saw your tv guesting in SNL. You're hilarious." Jin Guk praised him.

"Thanks. I knew the underwear stint (remember back in Kirin days Sam Dong would wear Jin Guk's briefs) would click." Sam Dong replied.

"How's life being a new father?" Jin Guk asked Jason.

"I'm constantly tired. I hardly get any sleep but I just love taking her in my arms. She's just too adorable. Look!" Jason said while showing the group a plethora of his baby's pictures on his phone. It's been two months now and baby Sumi has grown a lot.

Baek Hee suddenly tapped Jin Guk's shoulder. "Can I talk with you for a while?"

"Sure." He obliged and followed Baek Hee away from Sam Dong and Jason.

"So what do you want to talk about?" He asked her.

Baek Hee was silent for a while. She has been noticing Hye Mi's unusual behavior these past months. Hye Mi has always avoided any questions about it. She thought maybe Jin Guk has something to do with it since Hye Mi usually acts strange around him lately.

"What  did you do to Hye Mi?" She asked straight-forwardly.

Jin Guk was taken aback a bit. He didn't know what to answer. What did he do to Hye Mi? He asked himself. He calmly resumed his composure and answered Baek Hee honestly "I don't know."

"Think about it. Did you say or do something that couldv'e rattled her in some way?" Baek Hee asked.

He remembered that night. "Well, back when we were babysitting Pil Suk, we were playing thumb wrestling… and I told her I still love her." Jin Guk answered.

"What?!" Baek Hee was shocked. "Wh-what did she say?"

"Nothing." Jin Guk replied. "She looked a bit surprised."

"No wonder she seemed a bit spaced out. You startled her!" Baek Hee declared.

Jin Guk was silent for a while before asking. He didn't realize that it had an effect on her. He thought she just dismissed his pronouncement right there and then. "Do you think she hates me?" He asked.

"Why would you think that?" Baek Hee asked.

"I also sort of almost kissed her." Jin Guk replied uneasily.

"WHAT?!" Baek Hee was even more shocked. "What happened next?" Baek Hee asked in a calmer tone.

"Well, Pil Suk was in labor so we had to bring her to the hospital quickly. We were both quite frantic so nothing really happened after that." Jin Guk replied.

"You haven't talked after that?" Baek Hee asked.

"No… not really." Jin Guk said looking down.

"Yah! That's the problem with guys these days. You don't follow through." Baek Hee scolded Jin Guk. "You kind of left her hanging."

"Oh…" Jin Guk muttered as his eyebrows  scrunched up. He now realized how he burdened Hye Mi. He thought he must do something to make it right.

"Thanks Baek Hee. You're really a big help to me." Jin Guk said as he gave Baek Hee a hug.


The cast and crew finished filming all the scenes in Japan. Everyone has returned to the hotel to rest for their flight the next day. Night has fallen, Jin Guk still hasn't had the chance to speak with Hye Mi. She's been very good at avoiding him. Every time he would make try to approach her, she suddenly disappears. He figured that he needed help.

 

"Yah! You're really hopeless without me!" Baek Hee said while poking Jin Guk on his chest.

"I'm not that hopeless. If she's another girl, I can get her in a snap. Just ask Jason." Jin Guk said in defense.

"But Hye Mi is not like other girls, huh?!" Baek Hee said.

"Nope! She's definitely not.  I mean... At one point she even asked Ahjussi Mina (member of the production team that loves to give long and tight bear hugs)  to  hug me just so she can get away; and you know how Ahjussi hugs… I couldn't breathe. You know, I could've died right there and then." Jin Guk said in exaggeration which made Baek Hee laugh.

"So are you going to help me?" Jin Guk sighed and asked.

"Fine. I'll help you but you owe me a lot now. So what's your plan?" Baek hee asked.

Jin Guk grinned and told her what he had planned for tonight.


Hye Mi just got of the shower when Baek Hee went back to their room.

"Hey. Where have you been?" Hye Mi asked.

"Uhm. Around." Baek Hee replied. "Hey! Why don't you and I go out tonight? We can go to a club, drink some cocktails, check out boys..." Baek Hee said trying to convince Hye Mi.

"Oh I don't know. I'm a bit tired." Hye Mi said as she yawned. "Besides, Sam Dong and I have an early breakfast date tomorrow before we leave Japan."

"Why breakfast?" Baek Hee asked.

"Well, our date was supposedly tonight but he couldn't make it because he suddenly had to make an appearance in a late night talk show." Hye Mi said while she sat down in front of the dresser and combed her hair.

"Well, that's a bit disappointing. Come on let's go out! Let's have fun. This is the first time we're in Japan since Kirin. We don't need to do something stressful. We can just have coffee or go shopping. Please…" Baek Hee begged Hye Mi.

"Alright. I'll just go change." Hye Mi said with a smile.

Hye Mi wore a light pink dress with a mocha colored cardigan, leggings and a white wool scarf. She left her hair undone and swiped some pink lipstick on. She wore wedged booties and went out to meet Baek Hee in the lobby.


Baek Hee  hailed a cab.

"I thought we're just going to a coffee shop and shop a bit. There's a really nice boutique café right next to our hotel." Hye Mi said.

"Well… uhm… I want to go somewhere else. I saw this really fabulous café and boutique near the Nagoya Ferris wheel." Baek Hee said as she got in the cab.

Hye Mi felt something was a bit off but still she rode the cab with her.

As they arrived by the Ferris Wheel, memories about the last time she was there started to grace her mind. She remembered that night vividly. She remembered their conversation, his story, the kiss. Hye Mi suddenly stopped walking.

"Hye Mi are you okay?" Baek Hee asked.

Hye Mi nodded and continued walking. " So where's this fabulous coffee shop and boutique you're telling me about?" She asked.

 "Uhm… It's just around the corner. How about we ride the Ferris wheel first?" Baek Hee suggested.

"Uh-huh… I think I'll just stay right here." Hye Mi said.

"What? Oh come on! It's just one ride." Baek Hee dragged Hye Mi inside.

They bought tickets and Baek Hee somehow managed to get Hye Mi inside one of the capsules.

Baek Hee suddenly turned back to go back inside.

"Yah! Where are you going?" Hye Mi asked.

"Just wait here. I'll just get something." Baek Hee said nervously.

Hye Mi was suspicious with her actions since the night started. She definitely knew something was up.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Jin Guk was there walking towards the capsule. He was a holding a plastic bag. Hye Mi was shocked. She looked around and found no escape. She tried to hold the door of the capsule close but Jin Guk was too strong and manage to force it open.

"YAH!" Hye Mi yelled.

Jin Guk just smiled. She tried to push him out but he didn't even budge. Defeated, she sat down looked the other way and crossed her arms.

She realized that her night out with Baek Hee was just a set-up for Jin Guk to be able to talk to her.  Ugh! I'm going to kill you Baek Hee. She thought.

Jin Guk sat in front of her and spoke up. "I know you're mad at me but I really want to talk to you. Here, I brought you a peace offering." He got the yogurt drink out of the plastic bag, place straws on it and handed it to Hye Mi. She looked at it and grab the yogurt drink. Jin Guk smirked. He knew it was her kryptonite.

After drinking the yogurt drink Hye Mi spoke up."So what do you want to talk about?" still avoiding eye contact with Jin Guk.

"I want to talk about that night." Jin Guk said.

"What night?" Hye Mi asked, trying to act as if she didn't know what he was talking about.

"The night of Pil Suk's  labor." He said.

"What about it?" Hye Mi asked still acting like she doesn't remember anything.

"I want to tell you that everything I said that night, while we were playing, is true. From the time we were kids, until this moment, nothing has changed for me." He paused and looked at her. "I love you Hye Mi and I'll always will."

Hye Mi fell silent. Her heart was pounding like crazy but she didn't want to acknowledge it. She looked out the window as if she didn't hear anything. 

Jin Guk continued. "And as I recalled everything that happened that night, I realized I have made one huge mistake."  He paused again for a while.

Hye Mi looked at him intently. He was nervous and was fidgeting with his fingers.

Hye Mi cleared and asked. "What was it?"

Jin Guk kneeled in front of her and held her hand. He was quite unsure with what he was doing but he knew he just had to do it.

"I wasn't able to do this." As he said that, he kissed Hye Mi on her soft pink lips.

The kiss took Hye Mi by surprise that she dropped the yogurt drink bottle.

Jin Guk started to deepen the kiss. Hye Mi closed her eyes and without thinking, responded to the kiss. It continued until the Ferris Wheel came to a stop.

Hye Mi opened her eyes and tried to catch her breath. She saw Jin Guk smiling softly. She smiled as well. Somehow it felt right to her. Then suddenly she realized what just happened. She thought of Sam Dong.

She removed her hands from his grip and shook her head. She grabbed her bag and ran out of the capsule.

"Hye Mi wait!" Jin Guk ran after her. He was able to catch her in the lobby. As he turned her body towards him, she was crying. He hated that. He wiped her tears. It upset him to see her cry especially if it's because of him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done it. I should have considered that you may not feel the same for me. It's okay. I can take it. I'll understand. " Jin Guk said as he tried to comfort her with his embrace.

Hye Mi was sobbing on his chest and clutching on his shirt. She wanted to stay there in his arms and not say anything but she knew she needed to be honest to him and herself.

She looked up to face him and said "But that's the thing. I do feel something for you. After all these years, I still have something for you. I tried with all my might to forget it but it's still there. I still love you." She was catching her breath while saying those words. She has been crying heavily. She never felt so vulnerable and having such raw emotions come out like that.

Jin Guk couldn't believe what he just heard. He was must've looked like a lunatic because he was smiling and crying at the same time. Words cannot express how happy he was to hear that from Hye Mi. He tried to kiss her again but she pushed him away.

"No. I'm sorry Jin Guk but this is wrong. Stop confusing me. I'm with Sam Dong now and that is what is right. He needs me. Even if I have feelings for you, I can't accept your love." Hye Mi said as she turn her back on him and walked out the Ferris Wheel lobby.

Jin Guk was left there standing. He didn't know what to do. She rejected him, again.

Hye Mi managed to get back to the hotel safely. She was still sobbing as she entered the room.

"Hey have you guys talked?" Baek Hee was in bed watching tv. She didn't see Hye Mi. As soon as she faced Hye Mi, her heart was filled with concern. "Hye Mi are you alright? What happened?"

"Baek Hee." Hye Mi ran to her and hugged her. She continued sobbing.It was the first time she saw Hye Mi this vulnerable. Despite her trials during her days in Kirin, she never saw her broken down like that. Hye Mi didn't say a word after that. They stayed in that position until Hye Mi fell asleep.



 

FINALLY I was able to update. I know I for not updating for so long. School has just been so toxic. Please forgive me my dear readers. I'll try my best to update more regularly. I missed writing. I hope you enjoyed this one. Next chapter would be a bit... shall I say... SCANDALOUS ;)