Flashback: A Visitor From the Past

Movie Magic

 

Author's note:

First of all I want to say SORRY! I haven't uploaded anything for so long. Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter.



Around a year ago...

Hye Mi and Baek Hee were walking in the carpark of a posh mall.

"Oooh I just can't get over these matching purple satchels we got from Marc Jacobs! I can see the headlines now-- Kpop idols/best friends wears the same fab satchel." Baek hee said excitedly.

"Yeah, as if best friend satchels would really be worth the frontpage news." Hye Mi replied with a sarcastic remark.

Baekhee had enough of Hye Mi's sour attitude for the past days. She grabbed Hye Mi's wrist. 

"Hey! What's with that attitude? You've been really snarky this past week. You haven't had this bad mood since Kirin HS." Baek Hee said sternly.

"Hmm? What attitude? I'm just naturally like this." Hye Mi replied while she continued walking pulling her wrist off Baek hee's grip.

Baek hee stopped Hye Mi again. "Go Hye Mi I've known you for more than a decade now, tell me what's wrong?" She insisted.

Hye Mi remained silent, avoiding eye contact with Baek Hee.

"Is it because of Pil Suk's and Jason's wedding?" Baek Hee asked.

"No. It's not that…" Hye Mi murmured.

"… Is it because of the pesky paparrazis?" Baek Hee continued to ask.

Hye Mi shook her head.

"Then what?!" Baek Hee raised her voice out of frustration.

Hye Mi pulled her to the side.

She began to speak.

"It's… it's… just… it's been bothering me…" Hye Mi said still not looking at Baek Hee.

"What's been bothering you Hye Mi?" Baek Hee asked in a softer tone.

" Nothing really… it's very trivial… let's go!" Hye Mi said trying to escape Baek Hee's interrogation.

"Uh-uh" Baek hee said while waving her finger. "We won't move until you tell me what's bothering you."

Hye Mi let out a loud sigh.

"Fine. But promise me you won't laugh." Hye Mi said in a serious tone.

"Promise!" Baek Hee raised her right hand and gave a cute smile.

"I know it's silly but  lately I've been really bothered by Jin Guk's actions." Hye Mi started.

She paused to see Baek Hee's reaction and then let out another sigh before she continued. "You know we've been really close right? But lately, he seems aloof and indifferent with me. He doesn't even call or text. It's like I don't exist to him anymore."

Hye Mi looks like she's about to tear up. Then she rubbed her face and screamed. "Aisshh! This is really stupid."

Baek Hee hugged her best friend tightly. "No Hye Mi. It's okay. Maybe he's just been really busy.  You know what,  I'll talk to him. I'll give him a good scolding for making you feel like that."

Hye Mi pushed Baek Hee a bit to stop her from hugging her. "No. Don't do that. I really shouldn't be feeling like this. I mean we're not even…. Nevermind! I'm okay. Sorry for being a ." She said with a faint smile.

Baek Hee giggled a little with her last statement.

"Anyway, my car's right there. I'll go ahead.  Hye Sung's probably home now. Thanks a lot Baek Hee." She said as she gave her best friend a sincere hug before she left.

 


 

 

It was the day before the wedding.

In an artsy café near Gangnam, two bestfriends were having lunch together.

"So how's the preparation going?" Jason asked.

"It's going well, they're putting the lights on today." Jin Guk said as he took a bite from his panini.

"To be honest man, I'm actually quite excited you're finally going to ask her to be your girl. It took you long enough. "  Jason said.

"Well, I would have asked her earlier if it wasn't for that stupid no dating clause in our contracts. Good thing it's finally done." Jin Guk said.

"Hah! I’m just lucky my soon-to-be wife was able to negotiate that clause from our contracts." Jason said with a smug smile.

"Yeah. Pil Suk looks cute and all but she's really a tough one isn't she? You on the other hand…." Jin Guk teased.

"Yah! What are you implying?! I'm also tough, you know. It's just that Pil Suk beat me to it." Jason retorted.

Jin Guk laughed heartily.

"How about we arm wrestle now?! Let's see who's really tough." Jason suggested.

"Settle down Mr. Jang,  you still have a wedding to prepare for tomorrow. No need to get rough." Jin Guk said with chuckle. He likes teasing Jason like that.

"Anyway, congratulations man, I'm really happy for you and Pil Suk." Jin Guk said with much sincerity.

"Thanks I really appreciate it, but apparently  I need to get going. I have to pick-up something for the wedding tomorrow. "  Jason said.

"Yeah me too. I need to get something from Tiffany & Co." Jin Guk said.

"Oh?! Will I hear wedding bells soon?" Jason teased.

"No, it's not like that." Jin Guk said with a smile.

"Haha! Ok man. See you tomorrow." Jason bid goodbye.

 


 

In the Go residences, Hye Mi was organizing her things in her room while Hye Sung was in her own room, listening to music with her headphones on.

*Ding-dong*Ding-dong*

"Hye Sung can you get that?" Hye Mi shouted from her room.

*Ding-dong*

"Hye Sung! The door!" Hye Mi shouted louder.

*Ding-dong*Ding-dong*

"Aissshhh! Do I have to do everything in this house?!" Hye Mi stomped down the stairs and made her way to the door.

 Hye Mi opened the door and was shocked with the man standing outside her door.

"Sam Dong?!" Hye Mi was surprised to see him, after so many years of him being a big star in the US and all. She didn't expect him to make it to the wedding.

"Hye Mi! I missed you so much." Sam Dong hugged Hye Mi tightly.

"I still can't believe you're here. How are you?"  Hye Mi asked as she pulled Sam Dong towards the living room.

"I'm great. Uhm, are you free for dinner? I was hoping to take you out tonight." Sam Dong said with a big grin.

"Sure! I mean I think I can squeeze you in tonight." Hye Mi said with a cheeky smile, trying to sound cool.

" I'll just change." Hye Mi said as she went to her room.

Sam Dong waited patiently for her. It took her a while and he was already close to falling asleep.

He heard a door squeaked open and blurted out "Finally, you're…" He was at awe, he couldn't even finish his sentence.

Hye Mi came out wearing an immaculate white shift dress that hugged her figure well. She had her hair down and wore some minimal accessories. Her make-up was also very light and pure. 

"Wow!" Sam Dong finally said after being stunned for a few seconds there.

"You look really beautiful." Sam Dong said as he walked towards her.

Hye Mi was really flattered by Sam Dong's compliment. She smiled sheepishly for second before regaining her cool and said "Of course. Let's go."

They went to a Spanish restaurant that was in a underground wine cellar. Sam Dong rented the whole place out.

"Wow. This place looks really nice but why are we the only ones here?" Hye Mi asked as Sam Dong pulled the chair for her.

"I rented the whole place out for the night." Sam Dong said.

"Why?" Hye Mi asked.

"So we can have dinner alone." Sam Dong said  nonchalantly.

"I mean, why do something big like this?" Hye Mi was confused with the random grand gesture.

"You'll find out in a while." Sam Dong said with a suspicious grin.

After the main course he cued the waiters then suddenly the band began playing the song Only Hope by Mandy Moore.

"What's happening?" Hye Mi was now really confused.

Sam Dong is now holding a huge bouquet of red roses which was handed to him by the waiters.

"Hye Mi, I've been away for 6 years but my love for you never died, actually it grew stronger. I waited for this day for too long, that's why when I got back to Korea, I wanted to do this right away. Will you be my girlfriend?" Sam Dong proposed on bended knee.

Hye Mi didn't know what to say. She was certainly surprised by everything. She didn't expect Sam Dong to be doing this. She thought he forgot about her.  As for her feelings for him, she's confused. She needed a minute to think.

"I… I… need to go to the restroom." Hye Mi bolted out of the scene and went to the restroom.

Inside the restroom, she was having a mini panic attack. All the feelings she had for Sam Dong that she thought was long gone were now surging back and at the same time, she still can't get over the Jin Guk predicament.

Ugh!!! What should I do now? I mean I care for Sam Dong like a lot… and I think I still have feelings for him but… Jin Guk… Ugh! The hell with him! That stupid jerk! He doesn't even have the nerve to explain his sudden weird behavior. Sam Dong on the other hand is compassionate and very caring. He made this grand gesture that must have taken a while to plan. I should be with a guy like that right? Ughh! I don't know. I need to be sure.

Hye Mi went out of the restroom still a bit unsure with the decision she's about to make when she heard Sam Dong's conversation with someone over the phone.

"No! I'm staying here for a while. Don't worry I'm fine. I don't feel sick at all."

Then the next few words stabbed her heart sharply.

"Anyway, my chemo won't be until the next month."

Chemo?! He has cancer?

Hye Mi was now tearing up while walking towards Sam Dong.

She tapped his back cautiously and asked "Do you have cancer?"

Sam Dong was shocked. He didn't know that Hye Mi was right behind him.

"I'll call you right back." He said to the person on the phone.

"Hye Mi please sit down." He said trying to calm her down.

"No! Answer me first!" Hye Mi demanded sternly while wiping the tears on her face.

Sam Dong took a few seconds of silence before answering her.

"Yes." He said.

 Hye Mi sat down slowly before asking calmly "Wh-what kind is it? How far along are you?"

"It's called Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It's not that critical and I'm still in stage 1. There's nothing to worry about." Sam Dong said with a faint smile.

"When did you know about this? Why didn't you tell me?" Hye Mi continued asking Sam Dong.

"I was just diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry." Sam Dong answered.

"Also, please don't tell anyone about this. I don't want them to worry and fuss about this." Sam Dong asked Hye Mi.

Hye Mi remained silent over the whole dinner. She was thinking about Sam Dong's situation-- how it reminded her of her mother who died without her family knowing that she had cancer. She remembered the pain upon learning that her mother had gone through cancer without her family's care and love. She didn't want Sam Dong to have that.

Hye Mi and Sam Dong are now in the car outside Hye Mi's house. They're still both very silent. Sam Dong was afraid to say anything since Hye Mi seemed very upset with the news.

Hye Mi suddenly spoke up. " Sam Dong… about your question a while ago… "

"Hm?" After the whole drama about his sickness, he almost forgot that he asked her to be his girl.

"My answer is yes." Hye Mi said.

"What?" Sam Dong was confused.

"I'm now your girlfriend." Hye Mi said with a sweet smile.

Sam Dong was speechless. He was happy but he was also concerned that Hye Mi may have only been affected by the news that he's sick.

"Hye Mi-ah are you sure? Please think about it well." Sam Dong said holding Hye Mi's hands.

Hye Mi nodded. "I'm sure. I have thought about it well on the way home. I want to be your girl.  You need me Sam Dong… but I also need you."

Sam Dong smiled sweetly before kissing Hye Mi softly on her lips.

Hye Mi smiled and said good night.

Sam Dong drove off with a huge smile plastered on his face.



I'm almost done with the next chapter. Hopefully I can upload it very soon. Thanks for your continued support. I really appreciate it. :))