Rain Rain, Go Away

The Difference Between Pity and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The week passed by faster that Luhan would’ve liked, and soon enough, it was Friday. Normally he would’ve been ecstatic. Friday meant no school for two whole days, which also meant two whole days of sleeping until noon and playing Starcraft for 8 hours straight. It was beautiful to even think about, and he would’ve been happy, had it not been for his good for nothing friend Baekhyun.

 

Byun Baekhyun, who was stupid enough to think it was a good idea to invite Oh Sehun to his house. Oh Sehun. The same kid everyone called the ‘Untouchable.’ The same kid who called him a the moment they met, and the same kid Luhan had an unreasonable hatred towards.

 

Luhan wondered why Oh Sehun couldn’t be as “Untouchable” to his own friends as he seemed to be to the rest of the student population.

 

Moreover, Luhan wondered why he couldn’t have nice, normal friends.

 

“I hate my life,” Luhan groaned as he repeatedly banged his head against the desk, “I hate my life. I hate my life. I hate my life.”

 

Baekhyun peaked over the magazine he was reading and looked at Luhan with an annoyed look.

 

“Will you please stop? I don’t think your head needs more damage than it already has.”

 

“I hate you. I hate you. I hate you.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and placed the magazine on his lap.

 

“Just stop moping, for gods sake. You’ve been doing that ever since I talked to Sehun about this weekend.”

 

Luhan lifted his head slightly and glared at his best friend.

 

“I hate you.”

 

With a sigh, Baekhyun crossed his arm and dead panned.

 

“Yes, I think we already established that a long time ago.”

 

“You invited my worst enemy over to my house! I think I have the right to be moping!”

 

“Don’t be so overdramatic, Luhan.”

 

Luhan groaned once more and returned his previous act of banging his head, ignoring Baekhyun’s look of distaste.

 

“Hey guys.”

 

Baekhyun looked up to see Kyungsoo walk over. He took a seat besides Baekhyun and smiled timidly. Sparing a glance at the back of Luhan’s head, he shot Baekhyun a curious look.

 

“Sehun,” Baekhyun replied, and Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he nodded in understanding. They heard Luhan moan again at the name and Kyungsoo bit his lip in time to keep himself from laughing.

 

“I’m sure things will be fine,” Kyungsoo said and smiled warily at Luhan, “Sehun is intimidating, but you’re going to be able to handle him fine, aren’t you?”

 

“Sehun? Intimidating? That is not the problem right now,” Luhan snapped and lifted his head, glaring at Kyungsoo, “the problem is that I truthfully loathe him!”

 

Baekhyun sighed. “This is getting seriously repetitive. Boring, actually.”

 

“Yet you just can’t seem to comprehend that simple fact!”

 

Luhan coiled his hand into a fist and banged it on the desk, shocking Kyungsoo and a couple of students sitting around them. Baekhyun simply looked at Luhan, unamused. His eyes hardened, and Kyungsoo shifted awkwardly in his seat as the air around them darkened.

 

“Luhan, it’s time to grow up. You’re not always going to be meeting people who either click with you really well at the first moment or people who are terrified of you. There are going to be people who, to be honest, will not give a about who you are and what you want. That happens to be Oh Sehun. So before you go into the adult world and find yourself extremely excluded and pathetic, I advise you to man it up and deal it with him.”

 

After a brief pause and a glance at Luhan’s blank face, Baekhyun continued.

 

“And for the record, I called you a the first moment I met you. But that didn’t make you hate my guts, did it? Your hatred and annoyance towards Sehun is completely unfounded. All he did was state an obvious fact, which you have been aware of for years. Be honest with yourself. It’s not what he did that pissed you off. It’s who he is. Oh Sehun, the only other person who can possibly be as intimidating as you are. He’s the one who has an invisible barrier around himself and pushes away anyone who comes near it. But you can’t stand that, can you?”

 

A few students glanced at the trio nervously as they slowly stood up and went out of the classroom. Nobody wanted to intervene, and it was only natural to give them some time of their own, even if it was ten minutes before class.

 

“The moment Chanyeol told you about who he was, you were intrigued by Sehun. You roam around this school like you own the place. You won’t take no for an answer from anybody and will do anything to put someone in their rightful place if they dare to confront you. Sehun, in your mind, is like any other student in this school. He doesn’t have the right to stand on par with you, so you just try to push him down to where you see fit. Let me be brutally honest with you, because I’m your best friend and I think it’s time for you to know the truth. I love you, I really do, but there are times I look at you and wish you would just open your eyes for a second. You’re not a tyrant, Luhan, and you never will be. Chanyeol and I won’t let you, no matter how much you try. So please, for once in your lifetime, will you just step out of your head and see the world as it really is?”

 

Luhan blinked slowly and stared at Baekhyun's unusually stern look. It wasn’t everyday Baekhyun was this serious, but whenever he was, it wasn’t a very good sign. It meant that something was terribly wrong, and that Luhan had better start changing because he was ing things up. Baekhyun was known for his brutal honesty, never beating around the bush or doing unnecessary mumblings. Luhan had always appreciated that particular trait of Baekhyun, but at the moment, he was having a hard time coming to terms with what he had just heard.

 

“Luhan,” Baekhyun called, his eyes softening a bit, “I’m not trying to hurt you. I’m not saying you’re a horrible person either. You’re not. I know you better than anyone else in the world, and you’re seriously the best friend someone could have. I know what your heart is like. But your head. That’s what messing things up. You’ve got to change, Luhan. Please.”

 

Kyungsoo stared at the two friend, conflicted. It was the first time he saw them this serious, and he felt like he was listening to a very private conversation. Picking his nails in a nervous matter, he looked at Luhan, whose face was shadowed with a dark look.

 

“I’m not mad,” Luhan suddenly said, “I guess I was expecting this. Was I that obvious?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter