Sweet & Sour

The Difference Between Pity and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan hummed quietly as he strolled down the hallway. The students naturally parted in the middle, and everyone stared at Luhan’s wide grin as they whispered amongst themselves.

 

When he finally reached his locker, he quickly spun the lock a few times, kicked the edge of the door to give it a final push, and pulled it open. He managed to catch a falling book in time and shoved it back all with an uncharacteristic smile.

 

“Someone’s in a good mood.”

 

Luhan looked out of the corner of his eyes to see Baekhyun leaning on a locker besides him, his face shadowed with a dark look.

 

“And someone’s apparently not,” Luhan mused, shuffling through his locker for his emergency supply of gummy worms.

 

Baekhyun shot Luhan a quick glare before taking a gummy worm and plopping it into his mouth.

 

“God, I needed something sweet in my life,” Baekhyun grumbled, before nodding in a lazy fashion and walking away. Luhan quirked an eyebrow and stared at his friend’s retreating figure.

 

Luhan closed the locker shut, shoved the pack of gummy worms into his pocket, and was about to turn and go to his next class when he bumped into something hard and winced at the sudden impact.

 

“Ow, what the hell?” Luhan muttered before glaring up at Sehun.

 

“You ran off,” Sehun said, his voice calm and flat, “when I clearly warned you not to.”

 

“When have I ever listened to you?” Luhan snorted.

 

Sehun massaged his temples and closed his eyes, looking like he was about to have a headache.

 

“We’re not even remotely finished with our project. We’ll have to meet again, thanks to you.”

 

“What?! I’m not going to freaking meet with you again! That’s ridiculous.”

 

“Unless you want to get an F, you have no other choice.”

 

Without giving Luhan a chance to retort, Sehun ripped a piece of paper out of his notebook and scribbled something down. He shoved it in Luhan’s hands with an irritated frown.

 

“You can choose the place,” he said, “preferably somewhere relatively quiet and hard to run away from.”

 

With that, Sehun pushed past Luhan and disappeared from view. Luhan stared blankly at the paper in his hands before tentatively opening it.

 

Tuesday, right after school.

 

“!” Luhan screamed and threw the paper on the ground, grinding it to the floor with his foot before storming away.

 

►♦►

 

Chanyeol grinned widely for the upteenth time that day as he quickly typed a reply to a text he just received. It was from Mihye, the girl he met a couple of days ago in the grocery store. The day after Baekhyun slept over, Chanyeol rushed to the grocery store and luckily found her roaming at the back looking for some cereal. He had talked to her for a good hour before exchanging phone numbers.

 

Since that day, Chanyeol spent nearly all day texting the said girl. He found himself falling more and more for her. She was not only extremely kind and pretty, but also had a great sense of humor.

 

Chanyeol heard a loud thump and quickly raised his head to see that Baekhyun had slumped into a seat besides him. Baekhyun smiled at him in a tired manner before glancing at the phone in his hands.

 

“Mihye?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Yup,” Chanyeol answered. His face brightened when his phone vibrated and laughed out loud when he read the text.

 

“Sounds like she’s a lot of fun,” Baekhyun muttered. Chanyeol hummed in reply and leaned forwards, biting his lip as he pondered on what to type back.

 

►♦►

 

It was the class right before lunch, and Luhan was doing what he always did in class: daydream. Luckily he didn’t have to go through the torture of Algebra today, but was instead left with diagrams of DNA that he had absolutely no idea about.

 

Luhan stared at the blank sheet of paper on his desk, which he figured he was supposed to have filled out about 15 minutes ago. He shrugged and rolled it into a tiny ball, deciding it would be of much better use to use it to bother a friend.

 

Baekhyun was currently seated about two rows in front of Luhan’s.  From his hunched shoulders and drooping head, it was obvious that the shorter male was fast asleep. The biology teacher had given up on the boy a long time ago, something that their homeroom teacher Mr.Cho still was unable to do.

 

Checking to see that the biology teacher was turned away, Luhan smirked and threw the paper ball towards his friend. It hit the back of his neck, but Baekhyun didn’t budge. Luhan’s smirk turned into a frown when he realized his plan had failed. Baekhyun’s deskmate stared at the roll of paper on the floor before turning around and looking at Luhan.

 

Luhan met the boy’s eyes and the latter immediately cowered away, terrified at the thought of having to deal with him. Luhan rolled his eyes and pointed at the roll of paper, signaling to throw it back. The boy leaned down tentatively and picked it up, tossing it in Luhan’s direction.

 

Luhan grabbed the ball mid-air and this time, with much force, spiked it towards Baekhyun’s head. Baekhyun’s head was kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter