In Between (Part 1)

My Choi Savior

 

It’s been two years, two long years for that matter. But I still remember that night as if it was yesterday. I remember it so vividly.

...

That night, Donghae picked me up and took me to his house. I was grateful that he didn’t ask me what was wrong right away. He just drove in silent until we reached his apartment.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, why don’t you take a rest and I’ll wake you up when breakfast is ready, okay?”

”I really don’t want to intrude … b-but”

”You must be tired so why don’t you rest some more first, while I make some food, ha?”

I smiley nodded before letting him take me to where I would rest.

...

It was quite a hard decision to leave that day. It didn’t feel right to disappear just like that but I know it was for the best. Who knows what would’ve happened if I waited until Siwon had woken up.

Besides, I still don’t know how he felt after reading my note or if he regretted sleeping with me at all, but for me … I’ll never regret it.

...

The day Donghae took me to his house. I had to tell him my story, even though I did leave out a few details as I wasn’t ready to talk about it.

I walked in to the kitchen with Donghae placing the last dish on the kitchen’s counter, it looked delicious. As I inhaled the smell of the omelette mixed with the smell of the coffee, it followed through my nose, provoking the hunger in my empty stomach as it growled.

Since I was so immersed in my problems, I didn’t eat anything the whole day yesterday. Well, I actually didn’t feel hungry at all. So when all that food was presented in front of my eyes, it really made me realize how starving I was.

Donghae started laughing because he obviously heard my growling since it was a bit too loud, and I couldn’t help but pout and blush from embarrassment.

”Come on. Let’s eat”

I shyly sat and hang my head low. I was so embarrassed to look at him, not only because of that embarrassing sound but also because I’m troubling him. Donghae must’ve felt my inconvenience, because he served me a plate and spoke…

“No need to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable. I was the one who told you to call me if you needed something”

“But I bet you didn’t know I’ll call you eight hours later”

“Well true. But it’s okay. I know that you only called me because you really needed help”

“You’re not going to ask me, why I called you?”

“Do you want to tell me?”

“I guess … Yes” As much as I didn’t want to talk again about that unfortunate event, Donghae deserved at least that much.

...

Once I got to know Donghae, he’s a really nice guy. He’s descent and way too cheerful. The image that he gives as a doctor is way too mature for what he’s really like. It took me a while to completely let him in, but I couldn’t help not to. He’s been amazing to me so far. He let me stay in his house and he even helped me move out of my own.

“Donghae, can I ask you a favour?”

“Sure, anything”

“I-I need to go back to my house and pack my stuff. B-but I don’t want to go alone”

“No need to say more. I’ll go with you”

“Thanks”

It happened a week after the night. I didn’t have the courage before but knowing that Donghae would go with me, I felt relieved.

We went to my house and luckily SHE wasn’t there. It was hard to step inside the apartment as all kind of memories flow back into my mind. I could still hear her voice echoing all around the house but Donghae held my hand and assured me that everything will be okay.

“I should sell this house. Do you mind if I stayed with you a while longer until I find a new one?”

“How about you stay with me forever?”

“What? No I can’t. You’ve been helpful enough”

“I’m serious Kyuhyun-ah. I thought I liked living alone, but this past week was so fun. It’s great to have a roommate”

“A-are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Yes it is. Now let’s pack your things and get the hell out of here”

Since I was determined on leaving the past behind me, I also quit from Seoul Hospital. Now I’m working in Sapphire Blue Hospital where Donghae works, the same hospital I was hospitalized to when that incident happened. Donghae had to pull out some strings for me to transfer, so I was very grateful for that. Moreover, he didn’t let me participate in the house expenses but I insisted. I told him that I won’t be living with him if he didn’t accept and so he found no choice but to agree. That was how we became roommates.

“Come on! This is my parents house and as for the expenses you won’t need to pay for anything. I can take care of it”

”I can’t! I would feel as a burden if I didn't help out”

”But you just started working in the hospital, maybe later?”

“I also sold my house and I have savings, so no. Do you want to be roommates or not?”

“Fine, fine. You’re so stubborn”

“And you’re aeygo is cute ... But it won’t work for me”

“We’ll see about that”

Then Donghae launched himself on me and hugged me. He’s really adorable when he pouts and does the ayego but I wouldn’t tell him that. He’ll use it against me.

So Donghae knew everything, well everything except that tiny detail that I’d like to keep to myself. Not that I didn’t trust Donghae, because we’ve known each other for two years now and I do trust him, and also not because I was afraid that he would judge me for sleeping with a man because he was gay himself.

However, it was firstly because I didn’t know how exactly to tell him, and secondly because what happened that night is special, special in a way that I'm afraid that talking about it would simply make it ordinary.

That day, Siwon saved my body from drowning and along with it he saved my broken heart. I still don’t know how to explain it but in a weird way, he made my heart heal a bit. What I felt with him was nothing compared to what I felt with her. She used me my whole life and threw me out like garbage once she found a new victim, while he, Siwon, made me feel like the precious person alive.

I know this sounds crazy. How can I have felt all of these emotions just from a one night stand, but that’s it. It wasn’t just a one night stand. Me and Siwon had connected somehow. I, myself, can’t figure out how yet. Maybe that’s why I’m afraid to tell Donghae about him. I don’t think words can describe what I felt that night.

You may think I forgot by now, but his face, his look, his touches, his words are all engraved in my heart and brain. Even though I tried to banish those memories to the farthest reaches of my mind, I didn’t succeed.

Just the smallest things remind me of him…

”Donghae, I actually don’t know very much about you”

”Haha really? Well that’s because there’s nothing to know. But don’t worry, I’m not a serial killer or anything”

“Don’t worry. I’m not a serial killer or anything. Let’s just head upstairs. If you feel uncomfortable then I’ll drive you to wherever you want. I promise. Okay?”



”Hey Kyu! What should we order for dinner?”

That nickname, the first time I heard it was from him. My ex-girlfriend usually called me Kyun-ah or just oppa. But ‘Kyu’ ... he was the first...

"Kyu please”

“It’s Kyuhyun”



”Why are you dragging me with you?”

”Because you’re my friend and I need you to shop with me!”

”But I hate shopping!”

”Oh oh I love these leggings”

Why did it have to be those? They were the same as the ones Siwon gave me at the hospital. Same colour, same style...

“You wear these?” 

“Ah? Yes. I wear those when I’m jogging. I normally wear shorts over them, but I don’t think they would fit you”

“So does it look okay?”

“It looks perfect”

And the list goes on. I always wonder how our next meeting will be like…

Will we say ‘Hi’ and pick up from where we left of? Or are we going to be strangers?
Does he still remember me? Or that night meant more to me than it did to him?
Did he fall in love again? Or, like me, he can’t forget about that night?

This is the first time my head has been so filled with another person. I seriously don't know what is wrong with me. And with a man! Since that night, he's all I’ve ever dreamt about.

It’s been two years, but I still remember that night as if it was yesterday. The wonderment, the curiosity, the pleasure, the love. I still remember how I felt my life was changed forever.

I won’t be ever too far to feel you …


Sorry not much of WonKyu interaction yet
Thank you ^^