In Between (Part 2)

My Choi Savior

 

It’s been two years since that night. The night he came in to my life and disappeared right after. When I woke up I really thought it was a dream if it was not for that note he left, because what I experienced with him was out of the ordinary. I never thought I’ll feel something this strong for a stranger, it felt as if I was under some kind of a spell or something.

Cho Kyuhyun … that name never left my mind for the past two years.

...

That morning I kept reading the note over and over again as if trying to process what he wanted to tell me. I sighed as there was nothing I could do about it. I had to agree with his words since yesterday was very unpredictable. However, I believed in meeting him again.

I rose from my chair and walked back to my room. I decided to take a shower and let everything that happened disappear down the drain with the water. I won’t have any choice but to go on, will I?

Once I laid down on bed, 
the door bell rang. For a second I thought maybe, just maybe he changed his mind and came back, but I knew it wasn’t the case. I pulled out my phone and texted my new password.

”Siwon-ah, are you okay? What happened? How can you do this to me?”

“Hyukkiiiiiie … why is this happening to me?” I said as I flung my arms on each side of the bed. I didn't know why I was acting that way but I was in need for some answers even though I knew no one can give them to me.

“What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

“I saved an angel last night”

“What?” Hyukjae was clearly confused. He walked closer to me and put his palm over my forehead “Are you sick or something?”

I just shrugged off his hand as I was thinking if I should tell him what happened or not. Hyukjae is my best friend but I’m afraid of what he would think once he knew I slept with a stranger.

However, I needed someone to talk to about what was happening with me, so as my best friend I told him everything.

”Are you crazy? You just brought a stranger to your house and slept with him? Did you use ? What if he’s a psycho? Your manager will be very angry if he heard about this!”

This was not the reaction I was expecting but he wasn’t here last night, he didn’t see Kyuhyun. He couldn’t possibly understand.

I opened my mouth to argue but let out a gasp instead as a sharp pain throbbed from my shoulder. The pain had been so sudden that it had taken me by surprise. I placed one hand on my shoulder while the other one was clenching on the bed sheets.

“Siwon-ah, what happened? Did you take your pills?”

“No” I shook my head while gritting my teeth and closing my eyes tightly against the pain.

I curled up in bed taking short and shallow breaths as I waited for the pain to subside, while Hyukjae went to get my medicine. I could only hear his footsteps coming towards me, as the pain clouded my vision. 

I opened my eyes and Hyukjae's lips were moving but I couldn't hear what he was saying. My brain was darkened from the pain so I didn’t hear any sound. He lifted my head a bit and helped me take the painkiller.

I was still grimacing at the pain so as not to gasp or cry out, I clenched my teeth down so hard on my lower lip until it drew blood.

After several minutes, the drug took effect and I could relax my body again. I opened my eyes and Hyukjae was there holding my hand. Once my head started to get clear again, I found myself thinking about the events of the night before, where I strangely swam to save Kyuhyun even though I can’t swim anymore. Moreover, the fact that my pain shoulder hadn’t accrued not even once for the whole day.

“Something weird happened yesterday” I spoke while adjusting my body into a sitting position

“Apart from you sleeping with a stranger?”

I simply glared at him and he motioned with his hand for me to continue …

”That stranger you’re talking about … He almost died yesterday. He fell off the Han River bridge and he was drowning … B-but I saved him”

“Yeah, so?”

I saved him. As in swam and saved him”

Hyukjae is known by sometimes being slow, so he knit his forehead at first showing his confusion before it finally hit him as his mouth formed an ‘O’.

“B-but you can’t swim. I mean your injury … H-how?”

“I have no idea. I just jumped after him and saved him”

“And it didn’t hurt? You felt normal?”

”Yes. I didn’t feel the slightest pain. I was so focused on saving him that my shoulder somehow cooperated with me”

"This is weird. We should go see your doctor”

“I’m scared of what he might say”

“But you have to know. If you were able to save that guy it means that the therapy is working”

“But it’s not Hyuk! You saw how I couldn’t even finish one lap the other day”

“Yes but there must be some medical explanation for all of this”

Well there wasn’t. After doing another couple of tests, my condition was still the same. The doctor was confused to how I managed to put a lot of force on my shoulder and still didn’t feel any pain afterwards. Moreover, he suspected that I probably damaged my shoulder’s cells even more, but once he checked the test results again, he was wrong. I was still the same as the past days.

“What should I do now doctor?”

“Well, this never happened before but I think you should continue with your therapy sessions”

And so I did. I truly believed that there must be a reason why my shoulder didn’t hurt that day, a reason why I was able to save Kyuhyun, a reason that even though it wasn’t explicable medically, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

...

From that day forward, I didn’t miss a single session of therapy. As much as it hurt I had to withstand it. Since swimming was all I did for a living, I had a lot of free time that I spent either doing therapy or researches. Hyukjae insisted on coming with me but I refused. I told him to take care of his dance school and to not mind me because I wasn’t going to drown again in my sorrows. I had a new motivation.

...

If one thing that got me going through all the pain and the disappointments, it was him. During the long hours of therapy and the failed tries at me swimming, one thing that kept me from giving up was 'What if he needs to be saved again?' 

While I was suffering through all the pain, I kept in mind that I should get my reward, and I always reassured myself that this reward will be meeting him again. 

After a year of pain and hardship, my efforts weren't wasted...

"So this is it, right? This will determine if I'm going to be the olympic swimmer again or just another failed case"

"Siwon-ah ... I believe in you"

"Thanks Hyukkie"

I got in my position. I took a deep breath ... then I jumped into the pool. Once I was underwater, I started splashing my way to the other side. At first, I could hear Hyukjae's voice cheering for me but after two laps, I slowly lost the feeling of my surroundings as flashes of him started playing in my mind. I felt myself smiling even though I was underwater. I'm always lost in happiness whenever I think of him that I didn't quite sense the time until I heard Hyukjae shouting ...

"Siwon! Siwon! Stop now ... You did it" I was already on the other side of the pool. I gave the wall a hard push and swam back to Hyukjae's side. 

Once I was out of the pool I was pulled into a tight hug before I could even my breath. Hyukjae was hugging me and happily jumping up and down.

"You did it Siwon! You did it!" He pulled back and gave me his best gummy smile

"I did? How many laps?"

"Yah! are you kidding? Twenty laps non stop" 

"Really? I-I didn't even feel it"

That was how I started swimming again. I was able to get my dream back and it was all because of one certain man.

...

It’s true that I knew him only for a few hours, but everything about him I still remember. His image never left my mind. His chocolate hair, his brownish orbs, his fair skin, his slender fingers, his angelic voice, the heat combined with his panting and figure on my bed while we made love, is still and always will be cherished in my memory ... This is the first time someone’s got a hold of my heart like this.

Cho Kyuhyun … I don’t know what he had done to me but I want to meet him again. When I’m walking down the street, my eyes keep roaming left and right just in case I would see him again.
I never felt like this before even with my ex-girlfriend which makes me think … Could this possibly be love? Or is it something else? 

Cho Kyuhyun … When will our next meeting be? How would it be like?

Will we say ‘Hi’ and pick up from where we left of? Or are we going to be strangers?
Do you still remember me? Or that night meant more to me than it did to you?
Did you found someone else? Or, like me, you can’t forget about that night?