'Maybe They're Just Crazy.'

Vampire Prince

Soohyun walks to his room and closes the door behind him, leaning against it and closing his eyes.  His room smells of her.  He walks over to a loveseat beside the fireplace and lounges across it, trying to keep himself calm.


"So, ______, what are you in the mood for?" Aimi smiles at you as you both walk down the street.  "Sorry I don't have a faster way of getting into the city."  Aimi looks to be in her late teens.  Her eyes are a deep brown, as well as her hair, which is long and curly, and she is wearing a school uniform.
"That's alright, I need the fresh air," you reply, smiling back at her.  The air is crisp and it feels good to stretch your legs.  "I'm not really in the mood for anything in particular, let's just go wherever."

"Alright!" she giggles as she looks up at the sky.  "Does American food sound alright?"  You nod in approval and glance up as well, the sun peeking back at you from behind a large bank of clouds.


"Soohyun."  Isaac walks into Soohyun's room, approaching where he lies on the loveseat, and wakes him.  "Where is ______?"  Soohyun is startled as he's awoken.  "Uh, with Aimi.  They went to eat since we don't have much food here.  Why, is something wrong?"  Soohyun sits up, blinking as he looks up at the large man.  "Make sure to keep an eye on her, I've gotten word that there are others searching for her," Isaac explains.  Soohyun nods and waits for Isaac to leave the room before lying back down.


As you make your way toward the city, your mind starts to drift into thoughts of Soohyun.  An echo of his voice suddenly rings through your head:  'I am a Vampire..'  You stop for an instant and shake yourself, then hop a few steps forward to catch up to Aimi.
After walking for several more minutes, you enter a busy street, looking around.  The people are just as normal as they ever were.  Aimi leads you around a corner and into a diner.  She walks up to the counter and begins ordering her food.  "French toast and a lot of syrup, please!"  She turns to you and smiles, waiting for you to order.
Stepping up to the counter as well, you place an order of pancakes, bacon, an omelet and orange juice.  It feels strange to be doing something so familiar again, even though you had just been 'normal' yesterday.  You mentally shake yourself again and follow Aimi to a table to wait for your food.
"So, what's your story?" Aimi asks you in a soft whisper, leaning in across the table slightly.  "Why're you with them?"  Before you have a chance to answer, she responds to her own question.  "When I was a child, my parents were killed.  I don't remember much of that night, but I do remember that Soohyun and those guys came to save me.  Though they came too late for my parents.."
You listen to her, your heart sinking.  "I see... I'm so sorry..." You respond softly, not knowing what else to say, and making a slight bow of your head in respect to her parents.  After a short pause, you speak.  "Last night, I was walking home and was attacked by a man... Soohyun saved me.  Then the man came back, and there were more with him...  Isaac and the others showed up and defeated them.  After that, they took me to their mansion and Soohyun told me that I have a strong smell or something, and that I'm special...that I can 'control the families..'  I don't even know what he meant..."  You pause for a breath and continue, "He said he's.... he's a....vampire..."  You then look down at the table, clenching you hands together on your lap in silence.


Aimi looks at ______, slightly jealous.  "I see.."  After getting herself together quickly, she smiles at her.  "It'll be okay, Isaac told me the story."  She looks up at the waiter approaching them with their food.  "One day, Soohyun said I could be one of them.  That he'd make me one of them."  She looks at her food as the waiter places it on the table in front of her, and her lips.  She thanks the waiter, bowing her head slightly, and turns back to ______.  "Eat up!" she smiles again before diving her fork into her french toast.


You stare at Aimi in wonder, shocked at what she'd just said.  'It must be true if she believes it.' the thought crosses your mind.  'One of them...'  You shudder internally.  'Or maybe they're just crazy.'
You look up as the food arrives, deciding to just enjoy the meal and think about everything else later.  You pick up your fork and start to eat.  It tastes amazing; you hadn't realized how hungry you were.  You and Aimi eat without another word, the silence between you interrupted with only the scraping and clinking of utensils and glasses.
After you both finish, Aimi stands.  "I've got to go to school, so you're on your own."  She starts to walk toward the door and turns back to you.  "You're alright by yourself, right?" she asks.  You nod at her, smiling, and you also stand and walk with her out of the diner.  "Thank you!" you call to her, waving as she heads in the opposite direction, toward school.  Aimi waves over her shoulder as she reaches the end of the block, spotting some friends and skipping to catch up with them.
You aren't really scared to walk by yourself in broad daylight.  If Soohyun didn't want to come out, then it was likely that whoever - or whatever -  had attacked you last night wouldn't want to either.  You begin to walk back in the direction of the mansion.


Soohyun wakes again.  He brushes his hand through his hair and rubs his face, groaning softly.  His eyes begin to fade to a pale green as a sign of hunger.  Soon, maybe he won't be able to control himself around ______.  This was bad timing.  He gets up and walks out of his bedroom and down the hall.


You walk slowly, giving yourself time to think.  So much has happened and you have already gone over everything so many times in your head, yet it doesn't feel like enough; you feel lost and confused.  Eventually, you find yourself back in front of the mansion.  You walk up to the front door and take a deep breath, pausing before you knock, unsure if you should just enter.


Suddenly, Soohyun loses strength.  He stumbles down the stairs toward the door, smelling her blood beyond it, losing control with every passing second.  He leans on the door and touches the knob, beginning to pant, almost unable to breathe.  He opens the door.  The sunlight on his skin feels like thousands of burning pins.  His screams fill the house.


As soon as you knock, the door is thrown open by Soohyun.  Standing frozen for a moment, you stare at him in horror as he screams in pain.  His skin tone begins to fade to a pale gray, and blisters appear on the areas exposed to the sun.  You back down the front steps, quickly glancing around in case anyone could see, but there is no one in sight.  Suddenly, a man appears by Soohyun's side and throws a blanket over him, shielding him from the light, and drags him back into the dark house.  "Wh...what in the world..." you breathe to yourself, standing in shock in the doorway.  Your pulse is racing.  You hesitate before entering the house, but when you do, you see Soohyun and the man on the other side of the sitting room, Soohyun lying on the couch and the man kneeling beside him.
"For heaven's sake, close the door," the man speaks harshly, obviously to you, though his eyes never leave Soohyun.  "Ah- I'm sorry.."  You quickly turn around and latch the door tightly before turning back to look at Soohyun.


Soohyun clenches his jaw, trying to lie still and ignore the pain as he attempts to regain his sanity.  He gasps for air and opens his eyes, wincing at the persistent burning of his skin.
Why had he done that?  He knew what would happen if he had faced the sun, so why?


"Soohyun..."  You whisper his name and tremble, clutching your arms around you as you approach the couch, eyeing him warily.  As he opens his eyes, you notice that they're not their normal, bright green.  They've faded to a flat, grayish color.  Your heart skips a beat as you watch him grimacing in pain, as what are obviously burns start to heal.  His extra sharp canines become visible.
He wasn't lying.  And he definitely isn't crazy.  He must be a vampire.