Origin

Vampire Prince

When Kanna awoke, she slowly opened her bleary eyes and found herself in Soohyun's arms.  Her heart beat harder as she slowly looked up at his face.  His eyes were closed and his face held a serene expression.  She gazed at him, memories of earlier returning.

Soohyun felt movement beneath the sheets.  He opened his eyes slowly and came to see Kanna staring up at him.  He smiled softly.  "Good morning..." he mumbled in a low voice.  She smiled at him gently, leaning up on her elbow slightly.  "Morning," she replied softly.

Soohyun sat up, pushing the blankets off of him.  He stood from the bed and walked over to the window.  "How is it outside?"  He pulled the curtain back, revealing a sunset.  The dim, orange light cast a glow across his face.  Kanna found herself staring.

His eyes began to hurt from the light.  Soohyun let go of the curtain, letting it fall back into place.  "Still light..." he sighed and walked over to the bed.  "How did you sleep?" he asked as he leaned against the bedpost.  She blinked the sleep out of her eyes as she to her back.  "Well," she replied.  'Very well..'  For some reason, she thought he looked even more handsome than he normally did.

He nodded and walked over to the door.  "When the sun goes down we will go get some food," he stated as he opened the door.  "I'm going to wash up..."  Walking out, he shut the door softly, barely making a noise.

When he had gone, Kanna closed her eyes and covered her face with her hands, breathing deeply.  Her heart was starting to pound again at the thought of kissing him.

Soohyun made his way to the bathroom.  After entering, he looked into the mirror.  He was pale and he had dark circles around his eyes.  'Man..' he thought, 'I look like a train wreck.'  He ran the shower and began to undress.  He got into the shower and began washing.

Turning back onto her side, she hugged the covers, drawing her knees up toward her chest.  After her pulse quieted, she decided that she had better get up.  She slowly folded the covers back and swung her legs over the edge of the bed.

As Soohyun finished washing, he stepped out of the shower, bring a towel around his waist.  He then grabbed another and began drying his hair.  Walking out of the bathroom, the cold air hit him.  He shivered slightly and made his way to his room.

Kanna got dressed and saw that the orange light was no longer noticeable through the curtains.  She walked to the window and parted them.  It was dark.  
Remembering what Soohyun had said about getting food, and since her need for sleep was now gone, it had been replaced with hunger.  Deciding not to wait for Soohyun, she walked to the bedroom door and opened it.

As Soohyun reached his door, he heard someone down the hall.  When he turned to see who is was, Kanna was standing down the hall looking at him.  His body was still slightly dripping with water and it shone from the hallway lights.

Kanna froze when she saw him.  She looked at his bare chest and felt tighten.  She glanced away as he slowly walked down the hall toward her.

As he approached, he saw her look away.  "Are you okay?" he asked as he came closer.  "Y-yeah, I'm fine," she replied, not quite as confidently as she had intended.  Why was she so embarrassed when he had been shirtless in front of her during the battle the previous night?  And he had carried her like that..  She looked up at him tentatively.

He smiled at her, turned away and walked to his door.  "Wait for me," he said before entering his room.  He closed the door behind him, went to his wardrobe and pulled out a few articles of clothing.  After getting dressed, he picked up his wallet and stuffed it into his pant pocket.  He ran his hand through his hair a couple of times, trying to brush it out.

Kanna closed her bedroom door and leaned against the wall in the hallway, waiting for him to return.  All the while, thinking about everything that had happened to her since the attack in the alley.  Was all of this destiny?  'Why me?  Why am I the important one..?' she thought, hanging her head and staring at the floor.

Soohyun walked out of his room, closing the door behind him.  "Ready?"  He got her attention.
She looked up, startled out of her reverie.  She hadn't even heard his door open.  "Yeah.." she nodded and walked with him down the hallway.

"What do you feel like eating?" he asked her as they reached the bottom of the stairs.  "Mm.." she thought for a moment as Soohyun opened the door and held it for her.  They walked out onto the front porch.  The night air smelled refreshing.  As Soohyun closed the door behind them, casting the porch into darkness, she responded, "I haven't had a hamburger in a while...or pizza."  She laughed slightly.  Soohyun smiled as he led the way down the steps to the walkway.

"Hamburger it is," he replied and they walked down the road leading to the city.  As they approached the lighted city, Soohyun glanced down as Kanna's hand and grabbed it, holding it tightly as they continued to walk down the street.  She looked at their joined hands in surprise, then looked ahead, down the road again.  He was warm and it felt nice.

He opened the door of the restaurant and ushered her in.  When they entered the restaurant, they sat at a table in the corner, out of the way of all the other customers' attention.  Soohyun took a seat across from Kanna and crossed his arms, leaning back in his chair.  "Order anything you like," he said, smiling, careful not to reveal his canines in public.  "Okay," she responded, picking up a menu.

She ended up ordering a deluxe hamburger with a side of fries and a salad with a glass of water.

As they waited for Kanna's food, Soohyun asked her about her old life.  "What were you doing before everything happened?"  He leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table, waiting for a reply.  She sat back in her seat, staring absentmindedly at the menu cover before answering.  "I had a job at a cafe. I'm not in college yet, so that's pretty much all I did."  Soohyun nodded.  "What about your family?  You were living on your own?"

Before Kanna could answer, the waitress approached the table with her food.  She waited until the waitress laid the plates out in front of her and left.  As she unfolded her napkin, she answered Soohyun's question.  "I...don't really have a family.  I was adopted, and my mom moved to America when I was younger.  My dad...died last year.."  She picked up a fry and bit it, then went for the salad.

"Ahh.."  He bowed his head slightly.  "That must be tough.."  He watched as Kanna ate her food.  "You must've been hungry," he said.  She had practically eaten the entire plate of fries and had started on the burger.

She wiped with the napkin.  "It was, but it's alright now.  I don't mind being independent."  She took a sip of her water and looked at Soohyun.  "You don't...want anything to drink at all?" she asked.

Soohyun shook his head, denying the offer.  "I'm fine."  He smiled softly, his eyes sparkling.  "I know that these last couple of days have been hell..."  He paused, then continued, changing the subject.  "Did you have any questions?"

She placed her fork back onto her salad plate and rested her hand on the table, thinking.  "Why am I the one..?" she said softly.

Soohyun nodded and leaned back again.  "Isaac looked into it and he's come to a conclusion that you're Hitomi's descendent."  He paused before continuing.  "But not just that... before Hitomi and her lover passed, they conceived a child.  I was debating on telling you before, but since you've asked, I'll tell you.  This child was born human, but soon after their twentieth birthday, they began to show signs of change.." he hesitated before continuing, measuring her reaction.  "The child was half human, half vampire.."

Kanna stared at him intently, her brow slightly furrowed.  "Half human....so, does that mean that... Was that passed down through the generations..?" she asked, wanting to know the answer, but afraid of what he might say.

Soohyun nodded, closing his eyes.  "But it's evolved.." he paused, debating on telling her the rest, but gave in.  "It's triggered by drinking pureblood vampire blood..." he finished, watching her cautiously.

She sat there, frozen, her mind working a mile a second to process this information.  "Do I..."  Her chest tightened.  "So, I could become a vampire...?"  She stared at him.  'No...if what he said is true, then that means I already am one...it's already inside me..' she thought, slowly looking down at her plate.  Her appetite was gone.

'Kanna..' he whispered her name in his mind.  "If you so please..." he said, lowering his voice.  "Your powers would awaken if you did so.."  He quickly spoke up, "But I won't allow it...  I would never wish this upon anyone..."  He glanced away for a brief second, then met Kanna's eyes again.

"I don't think...I should.." she replied, not entirely sure what else to say.  She was overwhelmed with this new knowledge.  Her life was changing so much, so quickly; she was having a hard time keeping up.

The waitress brought over their check and Soohyun pulled out his wallet.  Flipping through it, he grabbed his credit card, handing it to the waitress.  "Charge it, please."  His voice was low and soft.  Blushing, the waitress took the card and quickly walked off.

Soohyun turned back to Kanna.  "I wouldn't let you..."  He then stood up as the waitress returned with his receipt and card.  After receiving the items, he offered his hand to Kanna.  "Let's go."  She stood up and took his hand, walking out of the restaurant with him.