The Heir

Vampire Prince

The darkness creeps in around you as you walk along the streets. Shuddering slightly, you wrap your arms around yourself against the slight chill in the air. The trees rustle in the breeze  and you breathe in, enjoying the fresh smell, despite your wary mind. You approach the alley which you would have to go through to get to your apartment. You sigh, taking another deep breath, this time to steady your nerves. You always get nervous in dark places. You enter the alley, which was even more quiet and still than the streets. No moonlight shone inside.


Sitting on a roof top above, surveying the small city, Soohyun's eyes catch a glimpse and lock on to a young woman walking into an alleyway.  'That can't be safe,' he thinks to himself, chuckling softly.  He jumps from the roof and onto one right above the alley, continuing to keep an eye on the young woman.  Suddenly, he notices that something is different.  He can smell her, but its not the normal kind of scent that he's used to.  Hers is extremely powerful.  Keeping his distance, he watches her curiously.


You shiver again as you continued down the dark alley.  It seemed darker than you had thought it would.  Suddenly, you hear something behind you.  You turn around quickly, your heart pounding in your ears, feeling a sudden heavy presence in the air.  "Hello..?"  Your voice sounds incredibly small, all alone in the darkness.  No response.  You turn back and are about to continue toward the appartment, when suddenly, you are grabbed from behind.  "Ahh!" you gasp, clutching at the arm wrapped tightly around your neck.  "Wha...!  Help!  He--!"  Your mouth is covered by a cold hand.  "Shhh..we don't want to draw attention, now do we..?"  You squirm, trying to escape from the grasp of the attacker.


He loses sight of her for a moment and hears her scream.  As he searches the darkness from atop the building, the screams cease.  Her scent still lingers in the air and he quickly jumps down from the roof into the alley, approaching the man holding her captive from behind.  "May I help you?  You're in my territory," he states with an extremely assertive tone.  He his lips slowly, slightly showing his extra sharp canines.


The man, still holding you, turns around.  Your eyes, wide with fear, stare at the man in shadows before you.  Your captor tightens his grip on you, your eyes beginning to water from the pain. You find it growing harder and harder to breathe with his hand pressing down so hard against your mouth.  The little amount of air rushing in and out through your nose is not enough and you start to get dizzy.  The incredible amount of pressure in the air begins to eat away at your consciousness, and your vision becomes clouded.


"I'd appreciate it if you gave me the girl and went on your way."  Soohyun flashes his fangs again.  His eyes begin to turn from green to a deep, blood red.  The air thickens more as he grows impatient.  "Hand her over," he speaks in a commanding tone.


The man holding you grins, bending down close to your ear.  "And...what if I refuse?"  He starts to move backward.  You desperately struggle against his grip and your nails dig into the skin of his arm.  "Ouch!  You !  What the hell?!"  He releases you from one of his arms and you are able to wrench yourself free from the other, stumbling to the ground before you get more than two yards from him.  "Ah.." you groan, and the man advances on you again, his eyes flaring up, his teeth also gleaming eerily, seeming to have forgotten that the other man was there.


Not even thinking, Soohyun puts himself between the young woman and her attacker.  He grabs the man by the shoulders and slams him into the wall with amazing strength.  Pressing his teeth against the man's neck, he speaks slowly and calmly with a threatening tone, "If I see you again, I will kill you."  His teeth draw blood on the man's neck, then he moves away, his lips.  He throws the man several yards and watches him run out of the alley before turning and walking over to the young woman.  "Are you hurt?"  He offers his hand to her.  As soon as he speaks, his head jerks up at the sound of a distant scream.  "We probably shouldn't stay here."  His eyes survey the rooftops and ends of the alley.  "Come with me."  He gestures for her to take his hand.


You feel the heaviness in the air disipate and your vision clears, your senses recovering.  You look up at the young man who had rescued you as he approaches.  Everything is moving so fast, but you sure don't want to be alone, just in case that man returns.  You decide it's probably safer to go with the man that had protected you, although you are unsure if it's the right desicion, since you know nothing about him.  You slowly reach up and take his hand.
 

With the feeling of her hand against his, comes a shock.  A sudden jolt through his skin.  It stuns him for just a second, then grabbing onto her, he leaps up onto the roof where he had first seen her....and smelled her.
 

You can barely comprehended his swift movements and are overwhelmed by a great rush as he leaps into the air with you.  Suddenly, you are above the alley on the roof of the appartment.  Once you come to your senses, you turn your attention to your rescuer.  He is considerably tall, with light brown hair.  His eyes are a sparkling green.  He is wearing a slightly long white t-shirt with a dark tan vest and dark jeans.  And he is incredibly handsome.  Opening your mouth to speak, you try to thank him, but your lips tremble, not a sound escaping.  You slowly sink to your knees at his feet, your tangled hair falling around your face.


He crouches down, bringing the girl to her feet, and whispers in her ear, "Breathe."  He moves the hair away from her face as he supports her, the wind blowing more wildly.


You stand there, your legs feeling as though they are about to give way again at any second, but the man's strong grip keeps you steady. The wind and the height make you slightly light-headed, but it's strangely pleasant. You aren't scared, even after seeing the power he had displayed against your attacker.


He looks down at her with a raised eyebrow. His lips turning up into a soft smile. "Are you alright?" he asks as he decides to let go of her slowly.


You look at his chest and gather the breath to respond. "Yeah...I'm alright... thank you..." You feel his hands leave you, and you exhale slowly, running a hand across you forehead.  "It's late, you should go before another comes.  I'm sure he's got friends," he says calmly, while looking around.  "I'll take you home.."  He extends his hand to you.
You look at the hand offered to you and blush very slightly, which you hope is hardly visible in the dark.  The moonlight makes his hand glow an eery, yet magical hue.  "I live in this building, I'm sure I'll be alright."  Though, in the back of your mind, you don't wholly believe that.


"I suppose." Soohyun retracts his hand into his pocket.  He looks around and down, "How are you going to get down?"  He laughs slightly.  Suddenly, his head jerks to the left.  "You should go.."  His eyes begin to boil blood red again.  "He's coming back....with friends."  He turns his whole body around 180 degrees.


Your heart pounds in your ears, your legs locking in place.  "Wh-w-what did you say..?" you say breathlessly.  Your head whips around.  You know you have to move.  But then, wait.  How are they going to get up there?  What is he so anxious about?


Almost as soon as he turns around, four dark figures appear in front of him.  "Didn't I tell you to get lost?"  He athoritatively bares his canines.  "You're on Nosferatu territory."  He backs right up to the young woman so he knows that she's okay.  His eyes burn and the air becomes heavy.
"Who are you to tell us where we can and can't go?" the largest of the figures replies, aggressively.


You stare in horror as the four seem to materialize before you. "How..?" you breathe, trembling slightly, the wind blowing your hair across your face. Instinctively, you reach up and clutch at the young man's sleeve, pouring your trust into him, scared for your life - although you aren't all too sure of where the feelings are coming from.
One of the dark figures speaks, "That's how your presence is so heavy.."  Another figure whispers softly to the biggest, looking slightly intimidated, "We shouldn't mess with him...he's the heir..."  The conversation continues until the man who had grabbed you in the alley screams for silence.  "He's one of Nosferatu, but he won't be hard to kill." He begins to grin and laugh maniacally. "Just give us the girl."


Soohyun refuses to comply with other's command and stands straight. Then, he senses an even more commanding presence; five others are coming.  As the four figures begin to charge at him and the woman, he remains standing there, ready to protect her.  Suddenly, five new shadows appear in front of him, brutally taking out the three smaller men.


Your eyes grow wider as you watch the lightning speed attacks. Your mouth hangs open and you are unable  to avert your eyes from the violence. Speechless, you continue to clutch your protector's sleeve, not even realizing what you're doing.
The man is brought to his knees, pleading for mercy. Suddenly, out of the five shadows, the biggest comes forward, speaking a few words to the man. Then, without warning, he kills him.


Soohyun stands behind them, the woman still clutching him.  The biggest of the shadows then approaches him and reveals himself.  He's tall with a strong face with strong features, his hair slicked back.  He is wearing a suit with a red tie.  He suddenly grabs Soohyun by the neck, causing him gasp for air. The large man then speaks, "What were you thinking, you idiot?"


You watch in almost a trance, until the large man seizes your protector. You snap out of it and fall backwards to the ground, releasing his sleeve and covering you mouth with your hand to stifle a cry, trying to stay as silent as possible, afraid of their power.


The man releases Soohyun, who kneels, attempting to catch his breath.  "She's different, do you smell it?" Soohyun speaks in submission.  The large man looks at her and approaches her.  He kneels in front of her and takes a breath.  "Who is she?" he speaks, standing up.  He looks at her again and addresses her, "Who are you?"  The four other figures walk over to help Soohyun to his feet.


You stare in shock at the large man, trying to regain your breath to respond.  You're scared, but you know he probably isn't going to hurt you.  If he had wanted to, he probably wouldn't have wasted any time.  "I-...I'm...._______...."  You don't know what else to say, your mind is blank.  You clench your hand in front of your chest, the chill of the wind blowing through you, the adrenaline still pounding in your ears.
The man offers to help you up.  "I'm sorry for the scare, those men were on the blacklist for months.  Thank you for your help, I'm Isaac, and you've already met Soohyun."  He gestures to the man who had protected you.  After a few seconds of consideration, you accept his hand and notice Soohyun looking at you.  You stare blankly at Isaac, then at the rest of them standing behind him, finally resting your eyes on Soohyun.  You open your mouth, taking a few seconds before speaking.  "Th-Thank you... I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't come..."  You bow deeply, holding it for several seconds.


Soohyun averts his gaze and smiles slightly.  Isaac speaks, "I apologize, but we need you to come with us."  He grabs onto her arm in an assertive way.


You jump slightly at the sudden grasp, a slight rush of fear coursing through you.  "Why, what is it..?"  You glance up at Isaac towering over you, before looking back at Soohyun, confused.


Soohyun quickly grabs Isaac's arm and stares at him, asking with his eyes to release her.  "I'll explain it to her, Isaac.."


Isaac nods and releases your arm. Soohyun then looks at you and asks you to come with him. Glancing around at the others watching, you nod slowly. He picks you up and tells you to hold on to him. "You might get light-headed.." He looks at you and smiles softly, making your heart jump. "I'm going to explain everything.."