Forgiveness for One

Unexpected Twist of Fate

Aesook's POV

It's your last class and the bell rings signalling the end of school. You have your head on the desk, unaware of the bell since you are sleeping and you have your earbuds on. You feel someone shaking your arm so you lazily lift your head off the desk and look up to see Chunhei standing infront of you with an impatient look on her face.

"The bell just rang. Let's go," said Chunhei.

You nod your head and slowly get up from your seat. You bend down and pick up your bookbag and shove your books and pencils in it and zip it up. You throw your bookbag over your shoulder and follow Chunhei out the door.

You two walk out of the building and start walking down the street. Chunhei starts talking about the latest gossip while you continue to listen to your music. You reach your house first so you wave Chunhei good bye as she continues to walk home.

You walk up the steps until you are facing your front door. You dig in your pockets and pull out a set of keys. You look at each key carefully until you find the key to the front door. You unlock the door and step inside your house and turn around to lock the door behind you. You slip off your Converse and toss them onto the floor. You shuffle into your kitchen and drop your bookbag onto the floor and open the refrigerator. You rummage around and pull out a tub of ice cream. You walk to a drawer and open it to pull out a spoon. You open the tub of ice cream and toss the cap onto the counter and start shovelling ice cream into your mouth. Once you feel satisfied, you cover the tub of ice cream and place it back into the refrigerator and drop your spoon into the sink.

You pick up your bookbag and sling it behind you and you walk up the stairs. You walk into your room and once again drop you bookbag onto the floor. You dig through your closet and pull out gray sweatpants and an oversized black T-shirt. You walk into the bathroom and change. You walk out of the bathroom and hang your uniform in your closet. You lift your bookbag and dump your things onto your bed. You shuffle through your pile of books and papers and take your agenda where you write down all your homework, more like where Chunhei writes down all your homework. You look at the list of homework for today and think: This isn't so bad. I can finish this in two hours. Better start soon so I can play my video game. I need to beat the boss! Oh! And then I need to cook dinner. Aish, so troublesome. I wonder when Umma and Appa are gonna be back from there business trip. I can't wait to eat Umma's cooking again! Mmm... So delicious! Okay! Time to start homework!

You quickly rush through your homework and once you are done, you toss your books back into you bookbag and you take out your PSP and start playing. You are really focused on the game, but when your phone starts ringing, you lose your concentration and you lose the battle between your character and the boss.

"NOOO!!!" You cry out in frustration as you throw your PSP onto your bed.

You look at your clock and it is 6:49 P.M. You think: Who's calling me? It can't be Umma, 'cause she only calls me after nine.

You answer your phone and say, "Yeoboseyo."

The person on the phone says, "Annyeonghaseyo, Onew ibnida."

You think: Why is he calling me? Is he going to make me do something!? But I thought he was the nice one! Aish, so troublesome.

You ask, "Why are you calling me?"

Onew answers, "I just... Can you go to Saebyukjib Restaurant?"

You ask, "Why?"

Onew aswers, "I, auh... Just go please."

You answer uncertainly, "Auh, okay."

Onew breathes a sigh of relief and says, "Okay. Thanks. Get there by 7:30 P.M. Annyeonghigaseyo."

You say, "Annyeonghigyeseyo," and you hang up.

You go and change your clothes into a pair of jeans and an oversized blue hoodie. You take your iPod and place your earbuds back into your ears and you take your keys out of your uniform pocket and into your hoodie pocket and you walk down stairs. You walk to the door and you slip on your Converse and you leave. You walk to the bus stop and stand there waiting for the bus. The bus comes and you get on and you pay your bus fare. You see that the bus is already packed with people so you stand towards the front of the bus holding onto the pole. When you see that the bus is at your stop, you hop off the bus and start walking down the street.

At night, the city comes to life. The streets are packed with people. Stores turn on luminous lights to attract customers. The night is filled with exotic sights, sounds, and smells.

You push your way through people until you reach Saebyukjib Restaurant. You stand infront of a beautiful, tall building lit with soft yellow lights. The building was built to look traditional, but it has an elegant air to it. You stand there facinated by it's beauty.

You hear someone calling, "Aesook!"

You shift your gaze away from the building to the source of the sound and you see Onew waving at you.

You walk to him and bow saying, "Annyeonghaseyo."

Onew grins at you and says, "Annyeonghaseyo. I'm sorry for suddenly telling you to come here."

You say, "It's okay."

Onew takes you hand and pulls you towards the front door of the restaurant saying, "Come on. Let's go inside."

Once inside, a waiter immediately appears and leads you two to a table set for two near the large windows allowing you to see the beautiful view of the city. You stare at the view while Onew orders the food. Onew clears his throat which brings you back to reality and you look at him.

Onew nervously scratches his neck and mumbles, "The reason why I told you to come here today is because I want to apologize to you. The reason I wanted to get your number wasn't to call you so that you can be my servant. And I'm also sorry for not standing up for you. What Key said was out of line. So, I'm sorry."

Onew bows his heads and bites his lip as he waits for your response. You reach over the table to poke his forehead. Onew instinctively touches the place where you poked him and raises his head to look at you.

You say with a blank face, "It's not your fault."

Your face breaks out into a heart-warming smile which makes Onew smile at you in return. Soon, the waiter returns with dishes of meat and you two begin to eat and talk, enjoying yourselves.

The waiter comes back with the check and your eyes bulge out as you look at the price.

You say, "How can you pay for this!?"

Onew sheepishly smile at you and says, "My parents own a chain of restaurants and this is one of them. Even if I pay, the money will come right back to me."

You stare at Onew with huge eyes thinking: Oh yeah, Chunhei told be that all of Shinee are super rich. Well everyone who goes to SM High would be considered very well off to rich since it is an elite school not just for anybody, but I didn't know the people in Shinee were that rich! I was feeling bad for letting him pay for all of this, but not anymore! The meat is really good. Even better than Umma's cooking!

Onew takes you hand, breaking your train of thought and pulls you out of your seat saying, "Let's go."

When you two are standing outside of the restaurant, Onew asks you, "Do you want me to take you home?"

You shake your head and say, "It's alright. I'll just take the bus."

Onew furrows his eyebrows and looks at you saying, "But it's already nighttime and it's dangerous for girls to walk alone at night."

You blink at him thinking: It'll save me some bus fare and he insists, so just let him.

You say, "Okay."

Onew once again takes your hand and starts walking and you follow him. He leads you to a shiny black car. He opens the car door and gestures for you to go in. You slip inside and Onew gets in after you, closing the door behind him. Onew asks for you address and you tell him. He turns and recites you address to his chauffeur. You soon reach your house and once the car parks infront of your house, you reach to open the door, but Onew lightly grabs your wrist.

"You forgive me, right?" asks Onew with a hopeful look on his face.

You blink at him and nod causeing him to give you a large smile. He lets go off your wrist and you open the door and step outside. 

You turn around saying, "Gamsahabnida."

Onew smiles and says, "No problem. Annyeong."

You respond with, "Annyeong."

Onew reaches out and pulls the door close and the car drives away. You stand there watching it drive farther away until you can't see it anymore. You turn and walk your house after the extravagent night.