One Smile

LiVing a Lie

 

AN: And the second chapter I'm uploading for now. Now you'll have to wait again until my brain has done its work :P

Sorry if this story seems to be kind of overdramatic but yeah, try to imagine you were in this situation, it would be kind of hopeless right? :)

If you don't like how things are turning out, I'm sorry T_T I'm no professional writer, just doing this for fun and actually also for people who would like to read this, so I secretly hope this story won't disappoint *_*

Prepare for both some drama and fluff in the future :)

P.S - I'm listening to "Firework" by Katy Perry now, isn't that song just awesome? :D

 


 

"I'm sorry we're late" What made the situation even more awkward, was that the class Seung Jo had to teach, was Oh Ha Ni's class. Like it had all been planned! They both entered the classroom where the loud students immediately fell silent. The teacher, and a student girl with red eyes from crying entered the classroom. Nobody even dared to ask what happened, and Ha Ni obediently went to the free seat next to Go Min and sat down. "What's wrong?" Go Min whispered. "Yeah what happened?" Joo Ri whispered, she was sitting next to Go Min. "Silence" Seung Jo told the girls and they jumped in shock and quickly turned to the blackboard again. Seung Jo sighed and continued his lesson. He didn't want anyone to bother Ha Ni now, not even her friends. She looked so upset that it shocked him. What was she hiding? During class Ha Ni didn't exchange words with her friends. She did look around for a bit and was relieved to see none of the students from her old school were in the same class as her.

"Well, that's it for today. Remember your homework and see you tomorrow" Seung Jo said as the students left the class. "Oh Ha Ni" He warned. Ha Ni thought she could leave, but now that she had shown Seung Jo those bitter tears… She sighed and turned back to him. "I'll see you later girls" She said to her friends, and they nodded in response before the door closed behind them. Ha Ni hadn't really exchanged words with them. Not even during the break, she had just been silent, and spent some time at the bathroom, avoiding the students from her old school. She really regretted choosing for summer education. "Do you think you can talk now?" Seung Jo asked. Oh Ha Ni looked at her feet and mumbled something. Finally Baek Seung Jo showed some interest in her. And she hated how she couldn't be happy at all about it. "What is it that you're hiding" Seung Jo demanded. So he already found out she was hiding something. No surprise, she had shown him already some sides of her he wasn't supposed to see. This was all her own fault.

"VOC stands for "Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie". In the 17th and 18th centuries the VOC was the largest commercial enterprise in the world, with a fleet of more than a hundred ships, thousands of employees, dozens of offices in Asia, and six establishments in the Netherlands. These were the "VOC chambers" in Amsterdam, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Rotterdam, Delft and Middelburg." She said in almost one breath like she was a talking book. The homework Seung Jo gave them, was study the history of the VOC since the subject in history class was Europe. She hadn't studied it at all, she just knew this.

Seung Jo narrowed his eyes in confusion. Oh Ha Ni stepped closer to the desk and leaned on it, this time with the courage to look him in his eyes. "I'm not stupid. I've been living with a false personality for years, and I've been lying and pretending. That's what I'm hiding" With that she walked away, not being able to keep her tears again.

This was it, he knew about her secret. Was this the end of the person she wanted to be? How long would it take before everyone knows - "Ha Ni?" Oh Ha Ni looked up in shock as she just closed the classroom door behind her. Go Min and Joo Ri had been listening in… "What was it you just said? You're kidding, right?" Go Min asked. When Ha Ni only looked down and didn't say anything, Joo Ri and Go Min looked at each other in shock. "Wait, then you're not really the Oh Ha Ni we know?" Joo Ri asked. "You've been pretending you're stupid. You've been living a lie and deceived us all along?" Go Min asked. Oh Ha Ni felt attacked, she couldn't find an answer to all this. "Why didn't you tell us? We still would've liked you, didn't you trust us?" Joo Ri said with an offended look in her eyes. "It- it's not like that! I just-" It was the first time Ha Ni opened in defense. But Go Min started again. "So those times we were laughing because I didn't understand a single thing about math, or history. Were you laughing with me, or at me?" Go Min surprisingly started to lose her temper.

"Go Min please! Of course I wouldn't-"

"-never mind, I still need time to think this over. This is really strange, but thanks for lying to us. Really great" Go Min continued, turning away.

Joo Ri gave Ha Ni one last disappointed look before following Go Min. Ha Ni ran the other direction, crying. She had no idea where she was heading, but she knew that it felt like her world was falling apart. And it was only the first day of summer school.

Seung Jo was still sitting at his desk, staring in front of him, unaware of what occurred outside the classroom. Oh Ha Ni wasn't stupid. She was smart. She had been acting, pretending and lying all along. Everything started to make sense. Being a very smart guy himself, he slowly started realizing what must have happened. Those students who bullied her, the way she overreacted when he called her stupid. She must've wanted to change because people treated her badly because she was smart. Right, now he knew about it, so he wouldn't have to be curious anymore. Then why did he still want to see her again? Talk to her, know more about her. Was it pity? Or something else? He sighed and rubbed his head with both hands. Without knowing herself, this girl was driving him crazy.

He gazed outside the window, and blinked a few times to see if he didn't imagine things. But he didn't. Meters away from the window, but close enough to notice, was Ha Ni sitting on a bench, with her back towards him.


Oh Ha Ni had made her way outside the school building and was sitting on a bench, trying to calm down. That was just too much. Seung Jo knew it, she didn't know what his thoughts about her were right now. But her best friends… They were the ones who weren't supposed to know. And now they found out, it exactly went like she feared. They hate her now. What would she do now? Just go back to the dorm and try to act normal? Impossible. She looked around. This place was pretty nice, there were no people at all what made it quite peaceful. The singing birds, the nice summer weather. She felt like she could really calm down. She turned around to study the place even more, when she noticed a window in the distance. She immediately noticed the posters hanging in the classroom, it was definitely the classroom she was just in. She sighed in relief when she noticed Seung Jo wasn't there anymore. It would've been bad if he saw her right now.

"So here you are" Ha Ni looked up in shock. From the other side, Seung Jo was approaching her. She looked at him with wide eyes, and then slowly calmed down. Seung Jo sat down on the bench, and there was an awkward moment of silence. "You always hated me for following you around…" Oh Ha Ni started, not looking at him. "Now look what you're doing" She couldn't help but smile a little as she said that. Seung Jo looked at her with raised eyebrows, but didn't say anything. "Go Min and Joo Ri were listening in" Ha Ni said. Seung Jo kept staring at her in surprise, still silent. "They hate me now…"

The final tears rolled down her cheeks. There just couldn't be any more tears left now. "Want to stay with me?" The words rolled out and surprised both Oh Ha Ni and himself. "What?" For a moment she thought she heard wrong. "Well…" Seung Jo hesitated, and wondered if that's what he really wanted. But he couldn't let her return to her room now, could he? "I don't think you feel like going back to your room now. And since I don't share a room with anyone, I thought…" Seung Jo didn't know how to continue the sentence. Damn him for losing his cool again. Oh Ha Ni couldn't help the smile appearing on her face. At least one good thing was happening today. Seung Jo offered her to stay the night at his room. Sharing a room with the one you love, wouldn't that be any girl's dream? "Thanks, I'd love to" She said, and she finally looked at him and smiled at him.

Seung Jo was delighted to see her smile again. But this one smile made him feel so funny inside that it scared him.

It was the first smile he saw, while knowing the real her.

It was also the first true smile she gave him, since that one night they had a fight. Since then she had always faked a smile.

And it was a smile that made him realize, that he slowly began feeling something for her.