Catastrophe or Opportunity?

Finding Prince Charming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

OKAY. I KNOW THIS UPDATE IS LONG OVERDUE BUT I REALLY HAD TO RESEARCH ABOUT LOTS OF THINGS. ALSO I WAS A LITTLE BUSY AND UNINSPIRED. NOW HERE IS THE UPDATE! I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT! T_____________________T

 

Please do comment and upvote. I really want to read your opinions, your rants, your ideas. I do listen to my readers :D

 

Enjoy! 

 

-kariboo17

 

****

 

"YOU WHAT?!"

 

Soojung's booming voice filled Taeyeon's office. She was in a Skype call with Jessica who has informed her about her decision of participating with Seulong's project. The younger Princess was obviously shocked because she didn't expect Jessica's first monthly call will drop this kind of news.

 

"You will freaking get a baby?!" She continued, still shocked and in disbelief.

 

"Good job, Soojung. Tell the whole world about it." Jessica muttered sarcastically.

 

"Unnie! Are you insane?" Soojung still couldn't grasp the situation. "You'll really do it?"

 

"Yes, Soojung-ah." Jessica answered calmly.

 

"Unnie... Have you told this to mom and dad?" Soojung prodded carefully.

 

Jessica stayed still that Soojung wondered if the computer lagged or Jessica took a while pondering what to say.

 

"That's why I asked for you." Jessica answered honestly. "I want you to set me up with mom and dad. Set up a date and location where we can talk, somewhere outside the palace."

 

"Wait... Set up a date and location? Another video conference?"

 

"No." Jessica shook her head. "I'll be coming back in Korea next week."

 

Upon hearing that statement, the hidden people the camera couldn't show finally showed themselves. Sunny, Taeyeon, Yuri, Tiffany and Sooyoung gathered and squeezed themselves behind Soojung who was in front of Taeyeon's laptop. They were just listening silently, serving as eyes and ears for the Princess in case the terrorists has managed to even follow and spy on the restaurant itself.

 

"You're coming back?" Sunny thought she just heard it wrong but then Jessica answered with a nod. "In case you missed it, the King has made an order that bans you from entering Korea until the terrorism issue is solved."

 

Jessica sighed a little, still upset that her dad had to go to that extreme just to protect her. She understand that it's to protect her but she really miss her country and of course her family. Their short stay in Paris barely made Jessica feel good. If ever, it only made her miss them more.

 

"I know that. But I am not coming back as Princess Sooyeon. I'm returning as Jessica Go." Jessica smiled. "That's my name in the fake passport Jinki has made for me. He said he used mom's maiden name as my last name. And I won't travel by commercial flight. Ambassador Im Jaehoon is returning to settle some matters regarding the riots here in France so Yoona and I will tag along because she has some things to take care of in Fab Corea's branch in Seoul."

 

Jessica thought maybe she can stay and just wait for Yoona here in San Antonio but she felt safer with Yoona beside her. It doesn't matter if she's going back to her own country that poses a threat in her life as long as Yoona is beside her, then Jessica wouldn't feel scared. She's in a safe ground with Yoona. And besides, a chartered flight with an ambassador will definitely be secured and safe. Jessica would have to play the disguise card again though but that would be an easy task.

 

"Look, I know this is urgent but another reason I insisted to come is because I really need to speak to them, Soojung-ah." Jessica repeated, this time in a sincere and urgent tone. "I don't want to proceed with this plan without telling them."

 

"But are you really sure with this? Getting pregnant, I mean." Soojung has a worried tone with a srunched forehead.

 

"It's not like I'm getting pregnant by tomorrow." Jessica joked. "It's a process. They are still testing the compatibility of our cells. If my cells can adapt to the change then Yoona will carry the baby but if it's the other way around, then I'll carry it."

 

"You're gonna have a family already, Jessica." Sunny continued. "What if you returned and the people know about this?"

 

"Then I'll admit it. I'm not going to hide it. My people needs to know the truth." Jessica replied with a confident smile. "I know it. They will probably be surprised but I know they'll accept it."

 

"What if they don't?" Soojung asked without any trace of malice. She was just concerned and worried.

 

"Then maybe I'm not right for the throne." Jessica admittedly sadly. "I will respect the sentiments of the people. You should ascend the crown."

 

Soojung stared at her with mouth agape. "What?! Nuh-uh. They will accept you so you take the throne."

Jessica laughed a little but suddenly stopped and stared at the small frame that displayed the faces of her sister and friends.

 

"I really miss you guys." She confessed wholeheartedly, feeling herself close to tearing up again. "I miss you so much."

 

"Yah. It's only been two months." Soojung retorted though her eyes glistened with unshed tears as well.

 

"I know. That's why I'm praying so hard we solve this problem as soon as possible." Jessica sighed as the trouble once again crossed her mind. "So that I can go home already and live in peace."

 

"By the way," This time it was Taeyeon who spoke. "Why is Yoona coming here?"

 

"Yoona's proposal to her sister about managing Fab Corea has been granted. As tradition the inagaural ceremony will be held at FC's Korea branch. The stockholders demanded to see Yoona personally before they sign the documents that accept Yoona's delegation. Also Yoona will be attending a gala that will be sponsored by FC and as the new chief operating director, she has to be present." Jessica twirled her fingers, drawing a circle in the air. "It's a complex process but the bottomline is we will return to Korea."

 

"So how will you do that?" Tiffany asked, too engrossed listening to the Crown Princess.

 

"Yoona and I came up with a plan but we need the help of everyone. It's not enough going incognito. We need to be precise and discreet."

 

The group glance around each other, pondering what actions to take. Then after a silent agreement, they all nodded their heads.

 

"Okay. So what's the plan?" Taeyeon prodded.

 

"Yoona and I have two options what flight to take. First, board the chartered flight of Uncle Jaehoon because no one will expect me to be with an ambassador or second, we ride with FC's private jet with Victoria unnie. She's attending the gala as well."

 

The gang paused when they heard a soft ruckus at the end of the line. They watch Jessica look somewhere with a smile.

 

"Hey, guys. Sorry I can't talk right now." Yoona appeared, dressed in a set of black from blouse, jacket and slacks. She is currently in training and her sister Victoria required her to wear appropriate attires for work. She held a pair of white heels, still not done wearing it. "I'm really late. Vic unnie's gonna kill me."

 

Yoona hastened putting the heels on and with a flying kiss to the group she rushed out the room but not before leaving a kiss on Jessica's forehead.

 

"I wonder why Yoona's late." Sooyoung piped in with a suggestive grin. She playfully wriggled her eyebrows.

 

Jessica felt her face get hot for she completely understand the inuendo behind the tease. It's not like it's right and she can deny it.

 

"Somebody had a great time last night." Yuri chirped in, eliciting a collective coo from the group and a flustered look from Jessica.

 

"W-we didn't do whatever you guys are thinking." Jessica explained. Even though it was the truth, her red face and flustered expression made it hard for them to believe it. "We really didn't! We were talking about the plan, okay? We slept late planning this out perfectly so we need to execute it perfectly as well."

 

"So what happens after the flight back?" Sunny asked, eyes focused as if mentally noting down the plans.

 

"I will keep my disguise. Victoria unnie and Uncle Jaehoon will be picked up by their respective drivers but Yoona and I will not be riding with them. One of you has to pick us up."

 

"I can do that." Taeyeon raised her hand. "I don't think my new Range Rover will be suspicious."

 

"It's not about the car. It's about the person picking us up. It should be someone not involved with the palace or the Royal Family. Sunny and Soojung cannot do it but I guess Taeyeon can." Jessica glanced at the side of the laptop where her notes is. She alongside with Yoona wrote this last night. "Next we need to check-in a five star hotel. Hotels are known to keep the privacy of their customers. They don't divulge the room number of a guest without the permission of the guest even though the King demand it himself."

 

Jessica flipped the next page of the notepad. "Are you up for this plan? Yoona and I have a plan B so if you guys are uncomfortable-"

 

"Are you kidding me?" Soojung frowned. She is now intent in listening to the plan. "Bring it on!"

 

 

****

 

 

Passing through the familiar gates of Incheon Airport, Yoona couldn't believe she has returned after a little over four months of leaving. She honestly thought she'll never see Korea ever again ever since she boarded that flight to Paris four months ago. She left with the purpose of no return because she wanted to leave all her beautiful memories with Sooyeon. She had to leave because Sooyeon was about to get married. Had Jessica not been seated beside her on that flight to assure her that Jessica has chosen her, Yoona would have been sorrowful and she wouldn't dare return to Korea.

 

But right now she was obligated to return. Truthfully she wanted to leave Jessica back in San Antonio with Seulong, yet she realized the main reason the Royal family entrusted Jessica to her was because being with Yoona gives Jessica safety. Jessica didn't want to be alone because if she sleeps without Yoona beside her she ends up getting nightmares. The bad things that threatened her family and the throne haunt her in her sleep that Jessica find even blinking her eyes so scary.

 

Whoever the forces are that are behind the threats involving the throne and the royal family, they have succeeded in intimidating Jessica. The Princess was definitely shaken by the impending danger yet with Yoona, she felt safe. That is why she had to come where Yoona will go. They are an inseperable pair.

 

If only Yoona could have asked Victoria if she need not to come but the entire reputation of Yoona's family is at stake here. The tradition of introducing the next heiress has always been kept and it has been a rule that formally appoints Yoona to her position. Without the board's approval, Yoona cannot be appoointed.

 

Giggling softly, Jessica hooked her arm around Yoona's. Incheon airport was very busy that day. Victoria has insisted they ride with her but Yoona and Jessica declined, saying someone else will pick them up. Victoria relented, reminding them that she booked a room for the couple at the Mandarin Hotel. She gave the couple a cheeky smile before riding a limousine that will take her to a fashion show that she will serve as a VIP guest.

 

"It feels like years since I've been away." said Jessica as she walked to the exit with Yoona pulling their luggages. "If only there is no threat in my life I would definitely say that it's great to be back."

 

Yoona chuckled a little. She poked Jessica's nose, earning a nose scrunch from the Princess. "Don't do that. Sunny unnie does that a lot."

 

"But I'm cuter when I do it right?"

 

"In my perspective, yes. That's why I don't understand why Taeyeon unnie likes Sunny's aegyo. I guess in a perspective of a lover, her own girlfriend is the best."

 

Jessica let a smug grin followed by a crossing of arms. "So that's mean I'm the best for you?"

 

"Of course. You're the best I've ever had." Yoona responded sincerely. "And I don't plan on losing 'the one'." She gazed at Jessica sincerely. "What about you?"

 

"I gave up the throne for you." said Jessica. "I guess that speaks a lot, right?"

 

"Yeah. It does." Yoona grinned, stealing a quick kiss from Jessica's lips covered with a flaming red lipstick. The color suited her golden hair, a total opposite of her Princess Sooyeon hairdo. "You look great with that lipstick."

 

"Awww.... Thank you. It's a present from Victoria unnie. She gave me lots of gifts from Fab Corea."

 

Yoona quirked an eyebrow. "She's promoting FC so much now, huh? What kind of sales talk did she do?"

 

"Nothing much. She just told me she likes me and that she approves me." Jessica grinned proudly. "That wasn't so hard, getting close with your family I mean."

 

Yoona gave her a cheeky grin, too distracted looking at Jessica's face to even come up with a come back. She was too happy to be with Jessica right now, in their motherland, though there are dangers around. Good thing was, they have come up with a brilliant plan.

 

"So what's our schedule for today?" Jessica recalled the notes she wrote on her pad. "Someone's supposed to pick us up right now and bring us to my parents right?"

 

Yoona nodded. She glanced at her watch and noticed that it was fourty past one in the afternoon. "We should have given Vic unnie our bags. Why did we bring them?"

 

Jessica shrugged. "I don't know. Anyway, I'm nervous, Yoona."

 

"Me, too. I'm really scared of the King, you know? He looks at me as if giving me the 'I'm watching you' vibe." Yoona shivered at the scary memory. "Thank goodness we are now in the modern time. If the King has found out about us during the Joseon era, I would have lost my head."

 

Jessica couldn't help but laugh at Yoona's crazy imagination. "That's totally random but also impossible. Really? Why do you keep on thinking about the old methods? You watch too many saeguk dramas."

 

"Is it not accurate?"

 

"Well falling in love with a Princess would be okay as long as it's not a slave. Noblemens and scholars ended up marrying Princesses."

 

"What do you think would be my status if I was living in that era?"

 

Jessica paused for a while, pondering a little of the accurate answer. "You'd be a noble."

 

"Damn it! I thought I was a cool scholar." Yoona remembered those times she played, thinking she was a scholar entrusted with documents she need to read to the King.

 

The couple seemed to be walking endlessly out of Incheon airport. It is one of the largest airport in the world so it takes time moving around. They reached the second to the last gate that will take them to the exit where the loading and unloading area is when their path was suddenly blocked by two individuals.

 

"Taeyeon unnie!" Yoona rejoiced, quickly pulling her cousin into a hug. Then she turned to the other person and crushed her with another tight hug. "Hyoyeon unnie! Wow, I didn't expect that it's gonna be you two who'll pick us up."

 

"Well I'm a totally ordinary citizen. Nobody will suspect my actions and Hyoyeon here is our security for today." Taeyeon proudly stated but the smug countenance didn't last long once Hyoyeon smacked the back of her head.

 

"I'm no security. I'm here because Princess Soojung and Sunny couldn't trust you. You're always flamboyant with your actions and if it weren't for me, you would have performed that stupid spy game before we board the car."

 

Huffing and crossing her arms in a sulky manner, Taeyeon childishly let a small whine, swishing her head away from Hyoyeon.

 

"Hey, hey. Enough of that. We really missed you guys." Yoona beamed brightly, trapping Taeyeon and Hyoyeon in a tight group hug. Pulling away, she reached for Jessica's hand. "Can we save the talk later? We need to get off the people's eye first."

 

Hyoyeon helped carry the luggages while Taeyeon fetched their ride. They waited by the ramp until a familiar looking BMW pulled over in front of them. Taeyeon wanted to bring her rover but it doesn't have tinted windows like this one.

 

"I can't believe I missed this car." whispered Yoona, sniffing the Korean air she hasn't experienced for more than four months.

 

Taeyeon and Hyoyeon occupied the front seats while the lovers took the back seat. Yoona and Jessica couldn't hide the glee on their faces. Being in their homeland was a lot better than anywhere in the globe.

 

"Okay, first thing's first." said Taeyeon. "Princess Soojung has arranged the meeting already."

 

"Really?" Jessica has a tone of surprise, a pleasant surprise that is. "How did she do it? How did they leave the Palace without any entourage?"

 

"Well, the Princess bought her first car and she made an excuse to your parents and grandma that she wants to take them out for a ride, without anybody else, for a picnic."

 

"A picnic?" The surprise earlier transformed into unamusement. "That's the best reason she got?"

 

"It kinda worked so I guess it was good." Hyoyeon shrugged. "She told them that since they have been stressing a lot lately she wanted to give them a break. We were actually lucky that Queen Seon Jung agreed to the idea. She decided everybody needed a break."

 

Yoona sighed in relief. "That's good. So where is she taking them?"

 

Taeyeon and Hyoyeon exchanged suspicious looks before bursting into giggles. Turning to Yoona, Hyoyeon quirked an eyebrow while Taeyeon brought the car into life.

 

"When was the last time you visited your family rest house?"

 

 

****

 

 

Princess Soojung gulped nervously when her mom looked at her in the eye, asking a question she has no idea how to answer.

 

"Whose house is this, young lady? I thought we'll have a picnic." She quirked an eyebrow, eliciting a nervous swallow from Soojung. "Don't tell me you bought a house? You just bought a car and now a house? You're spending foolishly."

 

Soojung held up both hands to deny the claim. "Mom, I'm not spending foolishly, the car maybe yes, but I didn't buy the house. It's Yoona unnie's."

 

"So you and Yoona are close now that you can ask for the keys to her house?" King Yunho eyed the said house. It was just a two story house with roof made of clay, dirty white painting and old wood. It was either a house designed to look old or the house is really old. It could have been passed from one generation to another.

 

"Of course we are close. And I asked for the keys because I was asking for a favor. I wanted to bring you guys to a place outside of the city. At least while we're here we can just rest, we can temporary forget about all our worries." Soojung looked at her parents and grandma with worried eyes. "I noticed that you have been more busy lately to the point you skip sleep and meals and that's a bad thing. You told me and Sooyeon unnie that skipping meals is bad."

 

When the King and Queen relaxed after learning that Soojung came up with this idea with good intent, they let the issue slide and followed Soojung inside the house.

 

"It really looks like Yoona is from a wealthy family." remarked the Queen, eyeing the antique furnishings.

 

Soojung wanted to say that Yoona is from the family that owns Fab Corea and a descendant of the  two previous Im prime ministers but decided against it. Although the Royal family is already aware of the relationship of Yoona and Jessica, it will be better if the informations regarding Yoona are kept secret for now.

 

Before they left the palace, Seohyun personally checked whether there are bugs on the clothes that the Royal family will wear, the car they will use, even the items they will bring. The only device they brought, which Seohyun examined as well, was Soojung's mobile. She told her grandma and parents that today is a mobile free day for them. It means they need not to bother any more issue that will just totally pile up their stress levels. As much as possible, Soojung need them to be in good mood because she has no idea how the stupid decision of her sister will affect their parents.

 

Soojung can tell whatever happens, her grandma will pretty much accept Jessica's decision.  Queen Seon Jung has displayed a couple of times that she approve of Yoona. She was the person responsible for bringing Yoona at Princess Sooyeon's engagement party. She was the one who provided the Phantom of the Opera costume and was the one who suggested to hold a masquerade ball for Sooyeon's engagement. Well if there is no ball, the Phantom costume will be of no use.

 

Queen Ara can be a little more understanding though. It's King Yunho she's worried about. She knew very well that the King will not be pleased the moment he know that Sooyeon stepped into Korean soil. Sooyeon's stupid idea is also bound to infuriate the King once she has informed him of her decision.

 

As much as Soojung is surprised with the sudden idea of her stupid sister, she cannot really blame her for wanting to finally decide for herself. After all, Sooyeon grew up in an environment wherein every move she make is watched, every action she do is observed, every decision is judged that even breathing is so difficult without someone telling her what air to breath.

 

Soojung understood Sooyeon's feelings. She actually felt trapped herself and she's not even the crown Princess. What if she was? Despite not being the Crown Princess, Soojung felt suffocated by the invisible hands constricting her neck. It was a liability they, Sooyeon and Soojung, had to carry for being the Princesses. That's why Soojung cannot blame Sooyeon for wanting to breakway from the chains of her past.

 

It was something Sooyeon has been desperately craving for, something she has been waiting for a long time but didn't think she'll actually achieve- freedom. All her life, Sooyeon has been nothing but selfless. She always put her country before herself but after all the pressure, the difficulty, the suffocation, Sooyeon is finally able to achieve what she wants without discretion. Only Sooyeon and her alone is the one responsible for this decision but Soojung will definitely support and be equally responsible for whatever the outcome is.

 

"There you are."

 

Soojung tore her eyes away the vast sea that the veranda offered and found her grandma smiling softly at her.

 

"Hello, grandma." Soojung glanced behind the elder woman. "Where is mom and dad? They aren't holding a phone are they?"

 

"No, they are not, my child." Grandma Jung chuckled a little. "They are in the living room, sitting quietly. Give or take they'll be asleep in a few minutes."

 

Soojung smiled bitterly. "They're that tired, huh?"

 

"My child," Seon Jung stepped closer to Soojung. "They are working hard to catch the people who are threatening our country, our family and of course, Sooyeon. It's better to lack sleep for a few months than to never sleep at all for we are living in fear and uncertainty."

 

"Do you think we will catch them soon?"

 

"I hope so, dear. I don't think I can last another day worrying sick over your sister." Seon Jung stepped closer to the railing, enjoying the spectacular view of the blue sea. "The only thing that comforts me is the fact Sooyeon is with Yoona. At least I know she's somewhere far and safe with Yoona by her side."

 

Soojung swallowed nervously. What will Seon Jung say if she later finds out Yoona and Sooyeon has returned? There's the fact that grandma Jung likes Yoona but will it save Sooyeon and Yoona from a possible scolding? The King had prohibited Sooyeon from returning to Korea and to emphasize that decision, he even had to make a decree which he publicized to the entire country.

 

Turning to her grandmother, Soojung decided to ask the question she's been dying to know the answer. "Grandma, I've been really curious about this. Can I ask you?"

 

"Sure, my dear. What is it?"

 

"Yoona unnie... Why do you like Yoona unnie? I mean, you seemed rather accommodating to the fact Sooyeon unnie's dating a girl- not that I have any issue with homoual couples." Soojung quickly cleared in case she's misunderstood.

 

The elder Queen smiled a little at Soojung's defensiveness. Inhaling the fresh and cool air, Seon Jung slowly recalled the mental list of why she's fond of Yoona.

 

"In case you didn't know, Yoona's grandfather was a former Prime Minister. He was the last Im to serve under our rule. Before her grandfather, her great grandfather also served you great grandfather as his Prime Minister. They are the only Prime Ministers to be delegated personally by the King." Her smile fell as she continued to recall. "And both ministers died

for the Kings."

 

"What?"

 

"You know that the previous two Kings were assassinated, Soojung, and you know that  the two Im prime ministers died protecting them. Our family is indebted to their family so I searched for their family since I wanted to convey my gratitude and condolence for their losses but I cannot find them. Yoona's family withdrew themselves away from the political world. When I saw Yoona, I did a brief research about her and found out she's an Im. Her dad and mom are working in the politics but not in Korea. I guess they didn't want to work for the Royal Family after what happened to their two prime ministers."

 

Soojung listened attentively, suppressing any reaction or noise.

 

"The least I can do is give my blessing to Yoona after being indebted to her family." Seon Jung sighed heavily.

 

"I see." Soojung nodded. "Anyway, don't you want to rest for a while grandma?"

 

"No, I'm fine my dear. It has been a while since I have been in a peaceful place like this. I think I'll stay here in the veranda. Why don't you rest?"

 

Soojung would want a good rest but she was nervous. Yoona and Jessica will arrive any second. They will finally break the announcement in front of the entire Royal Family.

 

Two hours has passed and it became more evident that something was making Soojung a little too antsy. Queen Ara noticed something was wrong with her daughter as she prepared freshly cut fruits. King Yunho and his mother were sitting at the living room, talking about politics most probably.

 

"What's wrong Soojung?" Ara asked.

 

"Nothing, mom." Soojung sighed and slowly retreated back into the living room. She wasn't given the time to sit however when a knock echoed from the front door.

 

Soojung's heart dropped. Her temple start to sweat while begin to parch. "I'll get it."

 

"Are we expecting someone else? Did you invite Sunny? Or maybe you brought Seohyun along."

 

Soojung couldn't answer her father. She carefully went to the door to get it. Taking a deep breath, she opened it and wasn't surprised to see the face of her sister. If ever, Soojung's nervousness increased for she knew they will finally have to tell her parents that stupid plan.

 

"I miss you, Soojung." Jessica embraced her sister tenderly.

 

"We'll have the reunion inside. We can't afford anyone seeing you." Soojung pulled her inside and Yoona followed them gingerly.

 

Soojung swallowed nervously as she stood at the side of the couch Yoona and Sooyeon were seated. At the opposite couch sat the remaining members of the Royal Family. Silence has engulfed the atmosphere since the arrival of the crown Princess. Sooyeon has no idea what is inside her father's head but she has already anticipated his anger and she's prepared to explain.

 

"You better have a reason why you're here, Sooyeon." said King Yunho, in a voice heavy with concealed anger.

 

"As a matter of fact, I do, father." Sooyeon replied in a calm manner. There is nothing good in getting nervous. She just need to be calm and keep her head because she knew this was expected. She defied a royal decree and that defiance is really bound to anger the King.

 

"Then what is it?" The King insisted, keeping his anger at bay. "What is this important reason that you had to go back here in Korea and defy an order?"

 

Shifting her gaze to Yoona, Sooyeon took a deep breath. It was nerve-wrecking to be sitting in front of her family, with their glares penetrating through her. But Sooyeon has to brave this and tell them what her purpose is after flying miles and breaking her father's order.

 

"I have decided to start a family with Yoona, dad." Sooyeon looked into the widened eyes of her father. "And yes, I'm serious."

 

Neither one of the Jungs spoke for they were still in the middle of digesting what Sooyeon just said. Soojung stood in anxiety, unsure of how this confrontation will end.

 

"My child." The eldest Jung broke the silence, albeit still flustered from the unexpected news. "This decision seem so rushed. This is so out of the blue- I-I don't know what to say."

 

"I don't even understand." barked King Yunho. "How can you decide this way, Sooyeon? This country is in the brink of collapsing because of all these terrors. We don't even know who or what is the face of this terrorist but you're already planning to settle down? Not to mention it's only been a few months after you ran away from your marriage with Jinki!"

 

"I know it may sound selfish but this mess is what actually drove me to come up with this decision." Sooyeon held Yoona's hand. She was suddenly engulfed by warmth and it was the warmth that sort of calmed her heart. "Dad, mom, grandma," She looked each of them in the eyes. "Yoona is the only one that keeps me sane. I am going crazy to the point I can't stop thinking that I may be dead the next day."

 

"Sooyeon!" Finally Queen Ara spoke. She didn't like what Sooyeon just said. She will not lose her eldest daughter, no way!

 

"See! It sounds crazy and it really is but..." She turned her head to look at Yoona with a loving expression. "I don't want to lose her. I want to be with her. So if ever this issue never gets resolved, at least I have her beside me."

 

"We will solve this." King Yunho reasoned. It seems like it will be hard for him to accept Sooyeon's decision.

 

"And even if we do, I still want to be with Yoona." Sooyeon defended. "I love her and I need her. She makes me happy, dad. I'm prepared to give up everything for her, even the throne."

 

Collective gasps filled the room. Yoona didn't know how to react to this. She was in a tight situation. As much as she feel guilty for going against the King's orders, Yoona wouldn't want to be separated from Sooyeon neither. She was here to ask for Sooyeon's hand in marriage as well as to convince the Jung's to allow them to proceed with the decision of having a baby.

 

"We talked about this, dad." Sooyeon pleaded. "You can't separate me and Yoona. This is it. We are meant to be."

 

There was no response from any of the Jungs so Sooyeon decided to tell the other thing as well.

 

"Yoona's brother is a doctor  and he invented a procedure that allows same couples to have baby of their own flesh and blood." She prepared herself of any outburst from her family once she finish her statement. "We are the selected couple to undergo the first try of the machine. We're just awaiting the results of the tests they performed that determines how the procedure will go."

 

"It's only been months since the two of you dated, Sooyeon." The King sounded exasperated. "And yet you want to marry? To have a child even? It seems you didn't give these ideas some thought."

 

Sooyeon expected this kind of answer however. "I have been in love with Yoona for more than a decade already, dad." So Sooyeon proceeded to tell her family the story of how she fell in love with that kid who saved her from bullies, that kid who got her fist kiss, that kid who she thought was a boy but was in fact a girl.

 

"Okay, let's say you two love ach other." King Yunho didn't sound convince. "But still getting married and having a baby are both so sudden, Sooyeon. Remember that once this threat is solved, you'll be ascending the throne. How will you tell the people about your marriage? About your child?"

 

"I already told you earlier, father." Sooyeon sought her father's eyes, begging for understanding. "I'm prepared to leave the throne. Give it to Soojung instead but there will be no way I'm leaving Yoona."

 

The King took a deep breath. His nose exhaled heavily, indicating he was trying to keep his temper in check. One person need to stay clear headed and sane or else this talk will go out of hand. King Yunho believes that his eldest daughter is not thinking straight.

 

"Father." Sooyeon repeated in a voice definitely begging for his approval.

 

Soojung watched with bated breath. As much as she didn't quite agree with her sister's decision, she didn't want to deny her neither of her happiness. In a time of chaos and fear, it is only proper to have a light, a light that will guide one's path, to lessen the fear and to give peace of mind. The light for her sister is Yoona and Soojung wouldn't want to take it away. Besides, her sister is happy. To be happy in the midst of their current situation, including the threat to the Royal Family, it's a miracle to see Sooyeon smiling and lively. That means the issue barely affected her especially with Yoona beside her.

 

"I think we will have to think this carefully." The Dowager Queen broke the silence. "Stay here Yoona, Sooyeon, while we talk for a while. This is a very serious matter. If this gets public, the whole country will collapse especially since its in a very fragile state."

 

So Yoona and Sooyeon stayed in the living room as the Royal Family went somewhere to discuss the issue at hand.

 

"Did you see my father's face?" Sooyeon sighed heavily, looking so forlorn. "He's disappointed in me."

 

Yoona put her arm around her, trying to comfort Sooyeon even just a little. If there is something Yoona learned lately it is that no matter what form of comfort and happiness it is, be it big or small, it has a great effect to Sooyeon. A kind of assurance that Yoona is beside Sooyeon in bed is an example. Sooyeon tend to have nightmares and without feeling Yoona's touch holding her, the nightmare tend to get worst.

 

A loving gaze from Yoona, even without saying anything, is enough for Sooyeon to know that Yoona loves her. A quick peck is enough to assure Yoona won't go. A small hug is enough to ensure Yoona will protect Sooyeon. Sometimes, it is the little things that count.

 

"Are you sure about this, Sooyeon?" Yoona prodded carefully. "As much as I want to be with you, I don't want you to turn away from your family."

 

"I am not turning myself away from my family Yoona. It's from the throne. You see, if I become Queen, it will be harder for us to see each other! I can't let that happen, okay?"

 

Yoona wrapped an arm over Sooyeon. She didn't intend to get her mad. She was just merely concerned because she wouldn't want to ruin a family.

 

"I get you. I wouldn't want to be apart from you as well. I love you, Yoona. People might see it is wrong but it is my own choice. It's my life's choice. This is my life and I need you to be part of it, Yoona. You complete me."

 

Yoona smiled before finally hugging Sooyeon with both arms. Her love for the Princess has been overflowing since they met each other. She wouldn't want to be apart from her anymore. They've been apart for a decade already. Their hearts have been tortured by that endless longing. And now they will have to suffer again because odds are not in their favor. They are worst than Hunger Games itself because at least the odds can be ever in their favor. The only thing that they have in common with the said story is Katniss Everdeen. Just like how Katniss is the key to change in the country of Panem, Sooyeon will want to be that key that will change Korea's future as well. 

 

Maybe she can do it too. Maybe she can change this country for the better. And maybe this country will accept her relationship with Yoona.

 

Maybe.

 

 

****

 

 

"Is she out of her mind?" King Yunho paced along the room he will presume as the master's bedroom since it is the biggest room he has seen in this house. "How can she possibly think of getting married even more getting a child?"

 

"You had no problem marrying her off with Jinki months ago." Queen Ara countered.

 

"It was a normal relationship! And it was what the law stated! A crown Princess need to marry before she can ascend the throne."

 

"That law is bull!"

 

The King stood frozen, shocked by what his Queen had said. "My Q-Queen."

 

"I don't mean to be audacious but that rule can be overruled by you, the current King! Don't you see Sooyeon is happy? How can you still see her smile despite learning that there are people after her life? How can you see her smile despite knowing threat is always imminent? How can she feel safe?" Ara faced her husband with a determined look in her eyes. "It's all because of Yoona!"

 

"That's nonsense!" The King retorted. "The mere reason I allowed them to stick together is because I thought Sooyeon will eventually realize it's just infatuation. It's not love. And how can this Yoona keep her safe? We have an army! We can send a battalion in a snap of a finger if Sooyeon is in trouble."

 

"No army, no battalion, no other can keep Sooyeon feel safe except Yoona." The Queen further explained. "Don't you get it, Yunho? Yoona keeps our daughter safe. Yoona keeps our daughter happy. Yoona keeps our daughter feel home."

 

"Safe? We have an army, Ara! We can keep her safe."

 

"You really don't get it do you?" The Queen sounded frustrated. "Yes, we can offer Sooyeon tangible things like an army but that is not safety. That's merely security. Safety is when she is beside Yoona. It is not a tangible thing."

 

"She's abandoning the throne! What can Yoona offer her then? Does she have any idea what she's missing? This is a priviledge people will die to have!"

 

"Family." Ara answered. It was obvious the King was taken aback. "You heard Sooyeon right? She wants to marry Yoona, to start a family with her." When she noticed the King was about to refute, she held a hand up to shut him up. "Before you tell me that family is stupid, then what would that make you? Aren't you protecting us, your family and to an extend your country which has become part of the family as well?"

 

The King appeared so flustured with his wife's reasoning. Typically Ara is the gentle and quiet type. But only seconds ago she told the King to shut up, she even raised her voice at him. She was obviously worked up and it's because as much as possible she wanted to support her daughter's decision. Before Sooyeon was a Princess, she was first and foremost Ara's daughter, her own flesh and blood.  And as much as Ara needed to act as a Queen that she is, she is a mother as well. At ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter