Trip Through Space

Lina's Boarding House: All Aliens Welcome

 

The time you bought for B.A.P to dig out their spaceship served them well. 

You knew Sector Beast would be keeping tabs on your friends, which meant they would never get the chance to get the spaceship up and running. So you served yourself as bait. Jongup and Zelo produced a small flash bomb that they claimed would stun or -- if lucky -- knock them out for a few minutes, giving you enough time to run out of there and fly back with Youngjae, who was chosen specifically because he's the laziest and wouldn't have helped in the digging anyway.

While it took Sector B.A.P much longer to bury their spaceship the first time they arrived on Earth, it barely took them a few minutes to unearth it. You stared in awe at the large, metal spaceship, lights flashing and blinking at you as Youngjae arrived.

"Wow," You whispered in awe. Youngjae brought you through a hidden door by the wall and the two of you merged through it, stumbling inside. It was spacious and cool, with light grey floors and cream-coloured walls pulsing with hidden lights. When you curiously pressed your ear to the side of the wall, you heard a faint humming noise, like a gigantic machine.

"Do you like it?" Youngjae asked, looking a bit apprehensive.

"Well, it's the best spaceship I've ever seen, that's for sure," You said with a grin. Youngjae looked pleased.

You followed him down a winding, curved hallway into a large room that must have been the control room. The entire length of the wall was covered in panels of buttons and levers, and an entire section of the curvy wall was windows. Strangely enough, you couldn't see any windows when you were outside. You supposed it was a sort of one-way thing.

"Are you safe, yeobo?" Himchan ran up to you and twirled you around. "Did they hurt you? Was Youngjae pabo too slow?"

"Hey!" Youngjae complained.

"Are you alright, noona?" Zelo asked, looking worried. "Will you be okay?"

Will you? You weren't sure. You were currently aboard a real spaceship about to be hurtled into the galaxy with six aliens you might possibly lose your life over in order to save your planet and everyone you care about. "Yeah, I'm good."

"No you're not," Daehyun said.

You glared at him. "Yes I am. Go put your mask back on, why don't you!"

Daehyun snickered and swiveled in his chair. "Take a seat, Lina, and buckle up."

You scowled but did as you were told, finding a free seat and strapping yourself in.

"We're moving in T minus ten seconds," Yongguk shouted. Instantly, there was no fooling around. All aliens dashed to their seats, serious and stony-faced, pressing buttons and flicking switches.

"T minus four seconds."

"Hold on, Lina," Jongup whispered beside you. You took a deep breath and nodded, gripping the edge of your seat.

"T minus one ... GO!"

You felt the spaceship begin to move, and suddenly you were shooting through the air, faster than what you thought was humanly possible. You gripped the seat even tighter as you felt like your brain was being pulled away from your skull. 

"Try to get through it, Lina!" You thought you heard Yongguk yelling nearby. "It'll only last for a few seconds!"

You really hoped he was telling the truth. It wasn't really painful, but more highly uncomfortable and kind of frightening. You couldn't even open your eyes ...

Suddenly, with a loud POP, the feeling disappeared, and you felt like the spaceship was floating. You opened your eyes and gawked as the window in front of you showed the universe, dotted with billions of pinpricks of light and massive colourful shapes.

"Wow ..." You whispered, unable to tear your eyes away from the sight. Astronomy books didn't do it justice.

"Can we find another wormhole, Youngjae?" Daehyun asked.

Youngjae looked stressed out and worried as he glanced at the stars surrounding them. "I have no idea. We didn't plan this out as carefully as we did last time. There should be one somewhere near Saturn, but if we miss it ... it'll take millions of years to reach Mato. We'll be too late."

Your jaw dropped. "Millions of years? How are we supposed to ...?"

"Don't forget who you're talking to," Youngjae scoffed. "I'm the Brain! Trust me, I can handle this. We'll reach that wormhole in time. Until then ... step on it!"

Zelo yanked a lever and you felt a slight tug. Despite that, everything was normal ... until you realized they were now moving at hyper speed outside of the spaceship.

"This technology is incredible," you breathed. "When will Earth be able to have this kind of knowledge?"

"In a few hundred years or so," Himchan snickered.

"If there is an Earth in a few hundred years," Daehyun muttered under his breath. Himchan smacked his arm, and the two promptly got into a childish fistfight.

"Oi, stop it back there!" Yongguk snapped at them, but you were too worried to help or even laugh at the silly situation. Daehyun's words reminded you how serious this was. You half-wished this was all just a dream, and you weren't really in space. You hoped that, with a sharp pinch, you could wake up and everything would be back to normal. B.A.P would be arguing over whether or not to wake you up while making breakfast. Youngjae would bother you in class, and Daehyun would stay silent behind his mask and mock you. Jongup would follow you around everywhere and hide when someone tries to talk to him. You would go to work at Ramyeon Ahjusshi's and tell him stories of Antonio and the boarding house during breaks. You would ignore Taena and her cohorts and giggle with Jisu and Hyoju.

You liked that life. But not everything's changed.

For one thing, you're in space.

For another, Earth might be destroyed one way or another.

B.A.P might never come back to Earth, even IF you all managed to survive.

You couldn't even say goodbye to Antonio.

You felt a lump grow in your throat, but you forced it down. You were the instigator of this mission. The de facto leader. You had to stay strong.

A sudden shout brought you from your thoughts. "There!" Youngjae was shouting, pointing wildly at something in the distance. "There! Over there!"

You couldn't see it yourself, but the aliens definitely could. They were all suddenly panicking and running around as fast as they could.

"Is it the wormhole?" You asked Jongup. He nodded. "Lina, stay in your seat, okay? It's gonna be nasty!"

"Wait, what?"

The spaceship stormed ahead, and you finally managed to see what they were freaking out about. The wormhole looked like, well, a giant worm. It was gigantic and a sort of light, dusty pinkish colour. There was a great big hole on the edge, black as night and sprinkled with blue lights.

"Go! Go go go go go!" Himchan yelped. "It's closing!"

You could see it was beginning to shrink, collapsing in on itself. You weren't going to make it. It was going too fast --

At the last second, the spaceship managed to enter the wormhole. You suddenly felt gravity spin in circles and spots dance before your eyes. It was hypnotic, unsettling, and made your stomach turn. You shut your eyes from the pschedelic light show playing outside of the spaceship and prayed it was going to be over soon. You thought you were going to throw up.

Suddenly, it was over. Everything went back to normal (except for your stomach). You groaned and felt your stomach lurch when you tried to move.

"Yeobo? Are you okay?" Himchan's worried voice came over you, followed by a strangled yelp and Zelo shouting "Get away from noona! Stupid General!"

"I feel like I'm going to be sick," you moaned weakly.

"You're just like Jongup, then," Daehyun commented. You opened one eye and glanced at Jongup, who was looking green and whimpering.

"Don't be a pansy," Yongguk added, although he looked pretty weak himself. Wormholes were nasty business. You hoped it would be an easier experience next time around. "Where are we now, Youngjae?" 

Youngjae glanced at the window and eyed the stars. "According to this position, we should be ... hmm ... a few days away from Mato Planet?"

"A few DAYS?" Yongguk thundered. "We hop through a wormhole and we still have to go through A FEW DAYS??!!! They could have killed the Governor by then!!!"

"We don't have much of a choice," Youngjae argued. "This is the best I can do."

"We still have time," you said weakly. "Jieun gave us a week. Please stop fighting, guys, come on ..."

"You should probably get some sleep noona," Zelo said in a quiet voice, gently tugging at your sleeve. "You aren't used to space travel. We have a room for you to sleep in, okay?"

You nodded, suddenly feeling exhausted. You followed Zelo out of the room and down the weird circular hallways. Finally, he stopped at a door and pressed his hand against it. The door slid open with a soft swooshing sound, revealing a small room with a hammock and a dresser. A single window overlooking the stars was placed on a wall.

"I'm sorry we can't get you anything nicer, noona," Zelo said sadly. "This is the best we can do. This spaceship wasn't designed for comfort."

"No, it's fine, Zelo." You were really just so tired you could care less what your room looked like. You shot him a grateful smile to put him at ease. "It's fine, really. Will you be all right?"

Zelo beamed. "Of course, noona! I am Zelo, the fighter robot alien of B.A.P! I am always going to be all right!"

You smiled at his enthusiasm. "Don't let me sleep in too much, Zelo. Wake me up after a few hours, okay?"

"Okay, noona!"

You waited until he left the room and the door slid back to its position before stumbling onto the hammock and collapsing onto it.

Zelo let you sleep for eighteen hours.


The worst thing about life on a spaceship is the food and the plumbing.

Bathrooms were a weird thing on spaceships. They somehow recycle the matter into a more compact form and send it out into space, where it is once again recycled and crumbles into cosmic matter. Or something. You actually didn't understand a word of what Youngjae was explaining to you.

Food were little packets of dust that, when water was poured on it, blossomed into a full meal. Except the meals were dry and sandpapery and hard to swallow.

So on the plus side, you might lose a little weight during this trip.

You felt like you were taking up space. Your aliens were always busy doing something, whether it was forming a plan to rescue Hyosung or steering the ship. You wanted to help them, but what could you do without messing anything up? You definitely couldn't help control the spaceship.

So you tried to immerse yourself in the plans. Himchan lived up to his General title by teaching you everything there is to know about basic war tactics and battle plans. It was an interesting thing, for you to look at sweet, silly Himchan and realize that underneath all the fun and games, he truly was a master tactician. You wondered if all of B.A.P's "failed plans" they kept on whining over in fights were actually situations where Himchan made them fail on purpose. For what reason, you didn't know.

"I wish there was more I could do," you mumbled one day as you took a break for lunch. It was supposed to be congee, but it had the taste and texture of mashed up soggy paper.

"Yah, yeobo," Himchan said, lightly bopping you on the nose. "This is already enough. You've done so much already, getting us to leave Earth and nearly sacrificing yourself to Sector Beast. I don't mean to be racist, but you ARE only a human."

"Gee, thanks," You huffed. Himchan laughed.

"Seriously, yeobo. As a human, you've already done more than anybody else in history on your planet. Think about that."

You thought about it, then grimaced. "I like being just plain old Lina."

"You never were 'just plain old Lina'," Daehyun interrupted. You turned to him, startled. He stared back at you resolutely, eyes glittering. "Don't you get it? Our Governor couldn't possibly have chosen South Korea out of all your other countries by a mere coincidence, and we couldn't have possibly chosen your boarding house on a whim. Something -- a higher power, fate, destiny, whatever -- is bringing us together and making this happen. Lina. You've always been important."

You had to think about that for a while. You weren't sure if you liked that idea so much.

Suddenly, an alarm bell began to tear through the spaceship. It was loud and waily, and you almost brough your hands up to cover your ears.

"What's going on?" Youngjae shouted, startled out of a nap.

You raced to the control room with the others, where Yongguk and Jongup were frantically working the joysticks and levers.

"We're nearing Mato Planet!" Yongguk shouted over the alarm noise. "And our engine just conked out!"

"WHAT?" Youngjae shouted. He ran to peer at a gauge and, sure enough, it was spinning out of control. "Dammit! It probably got ruined when we buried it!"

"AND WE DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO FIX IT??!!"

"WE WERE KINDA RUNNING LOW ON TIME AT THAT POINT, SIR!!!"

"Will you guys CALM DOWN??" You shrieked, yourself nowhere near calm. In fact, everything was moving too fast. Everyone was panicking and screaming, the alarm was shrieking straight into your brain, and a swirly blue planet was looming closer and closer.

"TURN!!! TURN TURN TURN!!!" Zelo yelled as the spaceship broke through the atmosphere. Jongup yanked hard at the controls, and the spaceship just barely avoided an incredibly tall, literal skyscraper mountain.

"LINA! BUCKLE IN!" Yongguk shouted. You jumped into your designated seat and frantically tried to strap yourself in, but your hands were shaking. Daehyun did it for you. You looked at him in fear and he just nodded. His expressive eyes said it all. Relax. We'll fix this.

"Find Matoki Factory FIND MATOKI FACTORY!!!"

Jongup swerved and steered as best as he could, but the spaceship was going out of control and the ground was coming closer and closer.

"YAH, JONGUP!!!" Youngjae suddenly howled. "WATCH OUT FOR THE --"

You just caught a glimpse of reddish earth, neon orange trees, and what appeared to be a humongous grey building before --

CRASH!!!!!!