Daehyun's Disappointment and Aliens

Lina's Boarding House: All Aliens Welcome

Daehyun was going to do it.

He was going to finally speak to you. He had been dreaming of this day for a long while -- to see your eyes widen with surprise, and for you to whisper his name in shock. And then he could step towards you and --

He wasn't quite sure what came afterwards. But he was certain it would be important. He should watch more of those strange earthling romance dramas.

He wanted to ask somebody who watched more TV than he did. But Youngjae would either snap at him to go away or would purposefully try to make him screw up. Yongguk only watched war movies, so he wouldn't know a thing. Jongup and Zelo were about as romantically mature as a pair of six-year-olds. 

And Himchan? 

Daehyun considered Himchan his most immediate rival to gain Seo Lina's attention.

For one thing, ever since Himchan watched a movie where a loving couple referred to each other as "yeobo", he's been doing nothing but call you that for days on end. Daehyun got irritated whenever he saw the pink blush on your cheeks. HE should be the one making you blush and stumble in that adorable way! Not the stupid General!

But if Himchan was good at ANYTHING, it was making you blush. Daehyun had to grudgingly admit, Himchan had a way with words. He could probably sweet-talk his way into any Mato girl's heart, if he ever managed to survive the Army. Himchan was able to say anything he wanted with the sweetest smile, and Daehyun watched sullenly as you blushed and smiled and grew embarrassed.

So this was the day. The day when Daehyun would reveal himself, and hopefully capture your attention. When there are six hyperactive, immature aliens all vying for one earthling girl's attention, it took a lot to have said earthling focus on just one alien for more than two minutes.

Daehyun silently watched as you washed the dishes after dinner. the others were milling around everywhere, watching TV or arguing about something or the other in this big house. Normally, Jongup would help you with the dishes, but Daehyun had warned him in advance to stay the hell away. Jongup, who followed almost every order without question, just pouted and went to watch TV with Zelo.

You were so focused on your work you didn't notice Daehyun until he stepped forwards. "What's up?" You asked, distractedly wiping a plate clean.

"Lina."

You almost dropped the plate. In fact, you did, but you quickly caught it with the other hand. You shakingly placed it on the counter. You weren't expecting him to answer. Did he just ...?

"Dae ... hyun?" It had been more than two weeks since the Lotte World trip, and Daehyun hadn't spoken a word since. Why did he suddenly ...

Daehyun pulled off the black mask and gently set it on the kitchen table. He turned to you and smiled.

You really couldn't do anything but gape, although it took you a great deal of effort not to jaw-drop. Daehyun was gorgeous, just as ulzzang as Himchan. He had perfect features, and those expressive eyes of his just sealed the deal ...

"Lina," he said with a smile. It was nice to talk again, and to be free of that mask. Not that he didn't like wearing the mask, but he loved the reaction he was getting from you. "What's wrong? You look like you've seen an alien or something."

He watched gleefully as everything went according to plan. A faint tinge of pink built up on your cheeks, your eyes opened wide with shock, your coral-pink lips opened slightly as you whispered, "Daehyun? You ..."

Everything was going perfectly. He had all your attention for once, and you were staring at him in wonder. Daehyun felt his heart beat just slightly faster than normal. She opened to say something else, and he tensed, waiting for her sweet words ...

"Why are you speaking in a Busan accent?"

Well. That was unexpected.


"Good morning, yeobo!" Himchan said cheerfully. "Did you sleep well?"

You snorted. "If sleeping well means waking up at two in the morning because someone was yelling, then sure."

"Sorry about that," Himchan pouted as he immediately went to help you make breakfast. "I think Youngjae accidentally tripped over Zelo in the middle of the night. Zelo tends to roll out of bed when he shuts down ... and sometimes he rolls right out the bedroom if we don't close it properly."

You giggled at the thought. "Well, I hope he doesn't hurt himself. Those guys."

"How's Daehyun?"

"Daehyun?" You frowned in thought. "He keeps sulking over something. I tried to comfort him, but he won't tell me what."

"Really? Strange." Himchan shrugged. 

"Do you know why he speaks in a Busan accent?"

"No idea."

"Noooona!" Zelo ran into the kitchen and gave you a huge hug. "Hey, is the weather getting better? Can we swim in the pool yet? Please?"

"No, Zelo, it's getting colder, and we'll have to shut it down soon. When it's summer, we can swim and go to the beach and do a bunch of fun things, okay?"

"Alright." Zelo pouted. "Are you going to work today too?"

"Yup. Don't wreck the house while I'm gone, 'kay?"

Youngjae, who had just appeared and was holding the home phone and staring at curiously, immediately looked irritated. "Why do you need a job anyway? Doesn't that Antimonial person give you money?"

"His name is Antonio, Youngjae, honestly. And I can't rely on him forever. He's busy working right now, and I should do the same." You raised an eyebrow. "Need I mention the fact that YOU aliens are eating me out of house and home?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's an expression, forget it."

Daehyun trudged in next, without the mask. "I want eggs," he muttered grumpily, pushing Zelo off a chair and sitting in his place.

Once again, you wondered why he was so gloomy. And you also wondered why he had a very distinct Busan accent. Not that it was weird -- it was really cute -- but you just wondered. Can aliens even HAVE an accent?

And how did they know Korean anyway? What did aliens speak on Mato Planet?

"Hey, uh, what does Mato language sound like?"

Youngjae paused, then suddenly said something that, to you, sounded like a whole bunch of beeps, pops, and cracking noises. It was definitely not a language any human could imitate. You stared at him when he finished.

"What did you say?"

"I said, 'I want bacon for breakfast'."

"Typical. Well, make them yourself. I have an early shift today and I don't want to be late."

"But it's a Sattttuuuuurrddaaaayyy," Youngjae whined, looking dangerously close to pouting and throwing a fit. "There's no school, you're supposed to be with US on the weekends!"

"You shouldn't be talking," Daehyun snapped. "At least you have all your classes with her! I have to be stuck somewhere else!"

You rolled your eyes and took off, before they started arguing again.

"Stay out of trouble, alright?" You called over your shoulder. 

"Waiiiiiit nooooonnnaaaaa--"

You quickly closed the door before anyone could bolt and drag you back inside. It's happened a few times, but luckily, Ramyeon Ahjusshi was a very understanding man.

And yes, you found a job at the very ramyeon shop you went to with the aliens when Zelo went rampant in Seoul. The Ahjusshi -- who never told you his name -- was very kind and offered you payment for work. It was really just you, the Ahjusshi, and the Chef and his wife, a funny (if not perpetually grumpy and arguing with each other) couple who cooked most of the noodles when Ahjusshi was busy. 

Sometimes, Taena and her friends would come in and, seeing you working there, would start sneering and making fun of you.

Normally, you would hang your head and shuffle away as fast as you could, all the while seething and clenching your fists. But Youngjae's words of "you are worth a hundred of them" would ring in your head. You'd just smile at her and say, "Just remember I'm the one bringing you your meals, Taena-ssi", which effectively stopped her from saying TOO much.

Which was a good thing, because you seriously considered spitting into her meals at least twice.

The weather was chilly, but not cold enough to require a thick jacket. The crisp air was a welcome to you, and you breathed it in as you made your way to the city.

"Hello, Ahjusshi!" You called out as you entered the shop.

The kindly man appeared, smiling. "Hello, Lina. You're looking cheerful today."

"Yep! It's nice to be out on my own once in a while."

Ramyeon Ahjusshi chuckled. "Those boys treating you nicely?"

"Yeah, but I hope someday they'll become, er, mature enough to get their own jobs. They cost a lot to take care of."

"At least you have company," Ahjusshi said, handing you your apron as he prepared to open up the store. "I would be worried if a pretty young girl like you was staying at home all alone for months. Those boys are good kids, I can tell. They look out for you. Why, if my wife was still alive, she would have thrown a fit knowing you were by yourself."

You smiled at his story. Ramyeon Ahjusshi had once told you about his wife who died from lung cancer, and he often fondly recalled old memories of the two when they were together.

In a way, Ramyeon Ahjusshi was the father figure you didn't have when Antonio was gone. It didn't make you feel guilty for saying it -- you knew Antonio would be pleased you found someone else to rely on when he was gone. Antonio was wonderful like that.

"Aren't you lonely, Ahjusshi?" You asked as you helped set up a few more tables and passing out cutlery on them. "Just staying in this shop all by yourself?"

"No, not at all. I get to have a chat with some of the regular customers, Mr. and Mrs. Chef are always around, and now I have you to help me. An old man like me doesn't need too much to be satisfied."

"Ahjusshi, you're hardly old," you laughed. "You look no older than forty, maybe fifty."

"Oh, you'll be surprised."

Just then, people began to wander in for a morning meal, and you were too busy to say anything else.

For maybe two or three hours, everything went on as usual. As the clock ticked towards lunchtime, which was sure to mean rush hour, you nervously thought about the BAP aliens and if they were surviving at home. You always felt this way whenever you went out for work.

"Lina, I have an important call coming in," Ramyeon Ahjusshi said, just as they reached a small break in-between morning and lunchtime rush. "Will you be alright by yourself?"

"No problem, Ahjusshi," you immediately said, flashing him a smile. "I can handle a few orders, no worries!"

Ramyeon Ahjusshi gave you a relieved grin and went out the back door.

A few seconds later, the bell on the door rang and you turned to greet the new customers. It turned out to be a group of young boys -- around the aliens' physical ages, you mused.

"Welcome," you said, trying to make yourself as pleasant as possible. A happy worker makes a happy customer, you reminded yourself. "Is this take-out or staying here?" 

"Staying ... here," one of the boys said, looking a bit confused at your question for some reason. He was tall, lean, had spiky dark hair, and intense dark eyes. They didn't look like a cheerful bunch, and something about them unnerved you for some reason.

"Uh, okay. Um, take a seat here, then ..." you showed them a table and, after quickly handing out menus, shuffled as far away as you could.

When you were safely across the room, you breathed out in relief as the weird feeling left you. Why were you so nervous over them anyway? They weren't thugs or anything -- granted, they were wearing an uncomfortable amount of black clothing.

You took another peek at them. They were all quite handsome, with a strangely dark and suspicious look in their eyes. Maybe THAT was what gave you a weird feeling.

When you thought they waited long enough (and when you worked up your nerve), you quickly scrambled over to them. "M-may I take your order?" You squeaked. So much for working up a nerve. You were trembling head to toe.

"Yes." The boy who spoke before -- maybe he was their leader -- said, pointing to one on the menu. "We all want this one."

"W-what size?"

"They come in sizes?" The handsome boy frowned, evidently confused.

"O-of course. They, uh, have them in small, regular, and large."

"We'll take small then." The boy's eyes glanced sharply around at his friends, who were all stony-faced and silent, although if you looked closely you could see a small spark of curiosity as they looked around and out the window.

"S-sure," you said with a weak smile, scrambling away to give the order to the Chef.

You couldn't help but keep an eye on them as they calmly ate their food. You remembered taking the alien boys to eat here, and how they were messy, loud, obnoxious, and so sweet and full of energy. These boys, they didn't cause trouble ... but there was just something threatening about them, something hidden beneath. You couldn't explain it.

When they finished, you hurried over to clean it up. After one brief moment when the leader of the boys looked confused, he pulled out several bills and handed them to you, before the group of boys stood up and began to leave.

"W-wait, sir!" You stammered out. "You need your change!" They had given you about two thousand won over the price!

"Keep it," the boy commented.

As they left, you distinctly heard one of the boys mutter something that sounded like "I don't understand earthling currency at all."

Wait a second ... you froze.

Earthlings?

You stared at them through the window. There were six of them.

Six.

Your heart suddenly started pounding. Your mind raced ahead.

Six impossibly good-looking boys.

They don't know raymeon comes in different sizes.

They were confused about money.

They called us "earthlings".

"Oh my god," you breathed. 

Could it be?

Were there NEW aliens on Earth?


Hey guys! LOL shameful advertising here (but you'll love me anyways right?), but I have a new story up called Hiring L, starring Infinite.

If you guys are interested, please check it out ^^