Behind the Trends

Lina's Boarding House: All Aliens Welcome

Once you changed out of your pyjamas and went downstairs, you noticed the boys were already waiting in front of the door, looking impatient and excited.

"You guys have to be on your best behaviour, alright?" You said sternly as you put on your shoes. "No running around without me. Stay right beside me, okay?" You turned to Yongguk, Youngjae, and Daehyun. "I don't have six pairs of eyes, so please make sure the others don't run off, alright?"

Yongguk nodded silently. Youngjae scoffed. Daehyun shrugged.

"I'll take those as 'yes'. Alright, let's go."

You opened the door and the seven of you walked outside. You firmly locked the door.

"Why do you do that?" Youngjae asked curiously, staring at your key.

You stashed it in your purse. "It's to keep the doors locked. This is a safety precaution, so people won't break into your house and steal things."

Youngjae nodded, staring hard at the door. He gently pressed his hand against it. "You know, you should really invest in space-metal doors if you want to keep out intruders. I mean, look at this, I can easily break it in half." He applied a little bit of pressure against it, and the door started to creak loudly.

"Okay okay okay!" You swatted his hand away. "You don't have to break down my door with your superior alien strength just to prove your point!"

You led them like a shepherd onto a bus, where they got more stares as they sped into Seoul because of the aliens' blonde hair and stunning good looks. Girls giggled and whispered, and more than half of them sent confusing glances your way.

You shrunk back in your seat. You knew what they were thinking: why was such a plain and completely normal girl hanging out with those above-average guys?

Himchan seemed to notice. He smiled and tapped his finger underneath your chin. "Keep your head up, Lina. Let everyone see your pretty face."

You flushed red at his words. "You only say that because I'm probably the first female earthling you saw," You muttered self-consciously. "I'm cute, I'll give myself that, but nothing more."

Antonio always told you to love yourself before loving anyone else. When you were in your angsty-teenager-phase and refused to look in mirrors, he made you look in one every day and tell yourself "I am beautiful. I am smart. I am talented. I am loved."

Thanks to his lessons, you got over that phase quite quickly. However, you weren't going to exaggerate and say you were gorgeous. You had clear skin, big eyes, and nice features, but nothing above ordinary.

"We aliens don't take much interest in earthling's looks," Himchan said dismissively, before giving you a warm smile. "But you.....you are a beautiful creature, both inside AND out, Lina."

You turned even redder and turned to hide your furiously red blush. You ended up burying your face in Daehyun's sweater sleeve.

Daehyun turned to Himchan and raised an eyebrow. Himchan just grinned, looking proud of himself.

Shaking his head, Daehyun spent the rest of the bus ride trying to coax you to lift your head.

********************************************

When you got off the bus, you were standing in front of a large mall. "This is my favourite mall in the whole district! It's really big, so try not to get lost, okay?"

Zelo was jumping up and down, looking like he wanted to sprint inside. You frowned and grabbed his hand.

Zelo froze and stared at you, then at your hand, then back again. "W-what are.....you doing....noona?"

"Making sure YOU don't run off again!" You scolded. "You're staying right here with me, arasso?"

Zelo stared at your hand that was holding his, and slowly interlocked his fingers with yours. He smiled. "Okay."

Himchan frowned in jealousy, and Youngjae smacked the back of his head. "Don't be such a child."

In the end, it was a good thing you held Zelo's hand, because the young robot was distracted by everything. He pulled at your hand like a dog on a leash.

"Oooh, what are those? Are those food? Are they cherry tomatoes? Can I have some? Is that a store? What's with those clothes? Can I try it on? Can I buy that? Can I have money? What is money? Hey, look at those earthlings! Can I talk to them? Can I buy skateboards? Can I --"

You were dangerously close to being pulled away, so Yongguk decided to take matters into his own hands.

"Zelo, come here," he ordered. Zelo immediately pulled away from you and went to him obediently.

You frowned as Yongguk led him somewhere. "Where are they going? We can't get separated!"

Daehyun shrugged. Don't care, really. But keep talking, Lina.

Jongup was aimlessly wandering away. You grabbed him by the arm and pulled him next to you. "You're going to get lost, Jongup. Stay here, okay?"

Jongup stared at you, turned pink, and nodded, looking away quickly.

Youngjae was busy staring at an electronics store with an ecstatic expression on his face. "Can we go in there? Please please please?"

You've never seen him so excited before. "Well.......alright."

He dashed inside without a second glance. You herded Himchan, Daehyun, and Jongup into the store as well.

A few minutes later, Yongguk and Zelo returned. There was a disconcerting blank look in Zelo's eyes.

"Yongguk......what did you do?" You eyed the robot alien apprehensively.

"I.....er.....rewired him," Yongguk said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. At the look on your face, he said hastily, "No one saw us! And it's only temporary! I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to handle him, so......."

You nodded, sighing wearily. "You're right, this is the best thing to do. Thanks for your help, Yongguk."

Yongguk nodded, looking embarrassed. The gentle feeling you got from him was very unexpected considering his intimidating looks. But you've already realized not to judge a book by its cover after meeting these aliens.

"Now, where did Youngjae go? We don't have all day......Youngjae! Youngjae!" You walked down the aisles, calling his name. You finally found him staring at the Apple section of the store, where all the new iPods and such were on display.

"Can I buy one of those?" He asked in awe, pointing at a beautiful, sleek iPad.

"Sorry, Youngjae," you said. "I barely have enough money right now to buy you all clothes. Let's wait a bit, okay?"

Youngjae nodded, sulking. However, he couldn't stay mad long for some reason. You took his arm and gently led him back to the others, who were faithfully waiting near the exit of the store.

Finally, you reached the clothes department. The B.A.P aliens took one look at the pants being displayed on all the models and burst out laughing (except for Zelo, who was still staring blankly at the clothes).

"W-what's so funny?" You said obliviously, staring at them.

"S-s-skinny jeans?" Himchan choked with laughter. "The fashion trend on Earth is skinny jeans?" They dissolved into another burst of laughter.

You stared at the fashionable pants. "What's wrong with that?"

"Ah, don't laugh, don't laugh," Youngjae said, wiping tears from his eyes and continuing to shake with laughter. "Earthlings are several thousand lightyears behind the trends, we can't blame them."

You blushed a bit at their derision, remembering the number of skinny jeans you had at home. Even though you knew it wasn't your fault, you still felt embarrassed having clothes the aliens considered terrible fashion sense.

"Stop laughing, darn it!" You stomped your foot. "And just so you know, if you're living on Earth, you're wearing them too!"

That shut them up nicely.

"Do we have to?" Jongup whispered dismally.

"YES, you do. I don't care what you guys wear on YOUR planet, but on Earth, the item to wear is skinny jeans. Now, get inside!"

After long hours of trying on clothes and paying for them, you were finally done. The aliens all carried three bags full of shirts, pants, and shoes for each of them.

You were starting to get nervous. You had no idea how much more money you'll have to spend on the aliens. You knew how to get money from your bank account, but you were saving that money for University.

Daehyun noticed your look and nudged you with his elbow, since his hands were full. You looked at him, and he gave you a nod. I'm sorry we're wasting so much of your money, Lina. I promise we'll make it up to you.

You scowled darkly. "I don't know what you're trying to say, darn it, Daehyun! Why can't you just TALK?"

Daehyun grinned behind his mask. It's so much fun bothering you.

You took the bus back home, and as the aliens were putting away their new clothes, you realized you spent the entire weekend worrying about the aliens and you forgot to do your homework.

"Oh NO!!!" You ran to your room and stared at your desk. Papers were scattered all over it. You had gotten started on your math assignment on Friday, but everything was put to a halt the second B.A.P stood in front of your door.

"Lina? What's wrong?" Himchan appeared, quickly followed by a concerned Yongguk.

"I completely forgot to do my homework!" You moaned, sitting down and feverishly scribbling away on your papers. "It's due tomorrow for school! Oh no, I'm going to get SUCH a bad mark on this because I have to rush it! Darn it all!"

Himchan peeked over your shoulder at the math assignment sheet you had. Math wasn't your best subject, and this was definitely going to take all night. You stared desperately at the numbers on the page, willing it to give you the answer.

"That's {(-7, 12)}," Himchan suddenly said, pointing to the first question. "You forgot to add this part up."

You stared at him. "You KNOW how to do this?" You wondered if aliens had to go to school.

Himchan shrugged. "It's kind of simple. I just looked at the question and worked it based on that."

"If you need help, we can give you a hand," Yongguk said quietly.

You gave them huge, relieved smiles. "Thank you SO much! Oh man, I thought I was a goner for sure! Okay, um, how should I do this question? Is it like, this formula, or........"

You refused to let them give you the answers outright, but after they patiently explained it to you, you were able to work it out yourself and solve the questions.

"I can't believe it! I'm done!" You laughed in delight, looking at your completed page in wonder. "And I still have enough time to get started on dinner!"

Himchan smiled, looking proud of himself for helping you out. "I'll do anything for you, Lina!"

Yongguk just looked away, blushing slightly. I'm glad you're so happy.

You jumped up and down in giddiness, before suddenly realizing something. "Oh, wait.........what are you guys going to do while I'm in school?"