Restarting Robots and the Company

Lina's Boarding House: All Aliens Welcome

"Zelo, what are you doing here?" You demanded, feeling everyone's eyes turn from you to Zelo and back again. Whispers soon filled the room.

"Who is that guy?"

"Did he just jump through a WINDOW?"

"He's so cute!"

"How does Seo Lina know him?"

"His hair is blonde too!"

"Is he another one of those weird transferred kids?"

"Well, looks like Yongguk and Himchan couldn't control him," Youngjae sighed, not looking the least bit concerned. "Typical, shouldn't have expected much coming from that IDIOT general."

"I am NOT an idiot!" Another voice huffed, grabbing the window ledge and easily swinging himself up and through the broken window, ignoring the broken shards of glass that littered the ledge and the floor.

"HIMCHAN?" You squeaked. Oh, dear god, no. Just no.

"NOONA!!!" Zelo shrieked when he saw you. "NOONA, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR AGES, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

"Zelo, I-I ... I got to school!" You stammered. What was he talking about? You've been going to school for the past week or so, how come he was acting like he didn't remember?

"What the heck?" Himchan frowned and stared at Zelo as if something was wrong. Which was, in every sense of the world.

"What are you two doing here?" You demanded. "Go home! Himchan, weren't you and Yongguk supposed to be fixing Zelo?"

"We DID fix him!" Himchan protested, looking too confused to even react with delight when he saw you. "I-I mean, we tried to, and it didn't work, so we called the Governor, and she told us to --"

"NOONA, I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!" Zelo sobbed, latching himself on to you like an overgrown koala bear and refusing to let go. He was hugging you so hard, you felt your bones cracking. Darn his alien strength!

"Z-Zelo ... o-ow ... Zelo --"

"Get off of her already, you stupid robot," Youngjae scoffed, peeling the hyperactive robot alien off of you like velcro. "Looks like Dark Zelo has left, thank god, you're much easier to deal with in this state ..."

Zelo stared at him and tilted his head to the left. "Dark Zelo? Who's Dark Zelo?"

"Don't bother, Youngjae," Himchan said, brushing off any glass shards on his clothes as he walked over to them, ignoring everyone else in the room (excited squeals and sighs were heard from some of the female members). "He doesn't remember. He SHOULDN'T remember, anyway."

"Why? What happened?" Youngjae demanded. "Did you ... no, you DIDN'T ..."

"We had to, it was the only way. The virus had already latched onto his Central Processing Unit and hacked into his Brain Interface, and sooner or later it would have taken over his Heart Interface and control his thinking and processing units too. He might have even us. So we had no choice, we HAD to ..."

"What's going on?" Zelo demanded, pouting cutely as he looked around in confusion. "Who are these strange aliens? And where is my Army uniform? What part of Mato is this? I don't recognize it. Noona, do you know what's going on? Is this some sort of new Training exercise?"

You stared at him in horror and said in a tiny, shaking voice, "Uh ... Himchan? Youngjae? Why ... why is he talking as if he's ... as if he's back on Mato Planet?"

"That's what I was going to tell you ..." Himchan muttered, looking nervous.

"Seo Lina, explain who these people are and what they are doing here this instant!" The teacher suddenly yelped, getting over the shock. "This is absurd! I could have them arrested for invading school property without permission!"

"N-no, t-that's ..." you started to stammer nervously.

Youngjae suddenly interrupted you. "They are the new students."

"MORE new students?"

"Why, yes," Youngjae said smoothly, not looking the least bit suspicious. "Didn't the principal tell you? Or did he not trust you enough to give you the details?"

The teacher's face turned red. "That is none of your business, Yoo Youngjae!"

"That may be so. However, since they're here anyway, I think Seo Lina and I better bring them to the office, don't you think? We'll be back later."

Then he grabbed your arm and half-dragged you out the door. You stumbled helplessly along, unable to shake off his grip. Himchan grabbed Zelo and yanked him out after you.

"Ohh, we're going to get in so much trouble because of this, Youngjae," you moaned. "I might get detention! I NEVER get detention!"

"What's 'detention'?" Youngjae asked, curious. "Is it some sort of punishment? In the Army, our 'detentions' usually meant they'd throw us in a pot of superheated steam for a few hours. It starts melting your flesh off after a while, but they usually patch you up pretty well afterwards."

You shivered at the bone-chilling comment he just spouted out so casually. Steam so hot it could melt flesh? And you thought being stuck in a room for forty-five minutes in shame was a terrible thing! You began to wonder exactly what kind of life Sector B.A.P led when they lived in this so-called Army.

Instead of going to the principal's office like he said, he steered everyone outside to the back lot. Himchan was wrestling with a struggling Zelo, who kept yelling things like 'completing the exercise' or 'dispose of the earthling imposters'.

"Himchan, please tell me what's going on!" You demanded, massaging your forehead with your fingertips. The beginning of a large and painful headache was appearing. "Why is Zelo acting like this?"

"Well, you see ..." Himchan rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Er, when you guys left, Yongguk was talking to the Governor and I was trying to keep Dark Zelo from destroying the house. We tried to hold him down and install some Anti-Virus software into him, but his body rejected it because the computer virus had already multiplied and hacked into almost all of his systems."

"So you restarted him?" Youngjae said, looking severe. "Do you realize how DANGEROUS that would be?"

"Hold on!" You broke in, staring at the struggling and whining Zelo in shock. "D-did you just say 'restart'? What do you mean by 'restart'?"

"Well, it's kind of like your earthling computers ..." Youngjae said slowly, looking completely shocked now. "When something is wrong on your computers and you can't control it, sometimes you're forced to shut it down without doing the proper procedure, right? That's basically what restarting is for Zelo ... only just like when you forcibly shut down a computer ... you sometimes lose valuable information that wasn't properly saved ..."

You struggled to think of it as a computer reference. "S-so if information wasn't saved on the computer in the first place, and shutting down a computer causes that information to be lost ... are you saying Zelo lost his memories?!"

"Basically, yeah," Himchan mumbled. He looked at Youngjae, and the two shared a long glance filled with confusion. "And that's where things are really weird."

"Why?"

"The only thing's saved on Zelo's Memory is his personality, his several thousand years training in the Army and life on Mato, and us, his comrades of Sector B.A.P."

"So?" You didn't understand what was freaking them out. That was basically exactly how Zelo was acting now ... as though he's never gone to Earth in the first place.

Wait a second ...

"B-but ..." you whispered, your eyes widening. "He remembers ... me?"

"That shouldn't be possible ..." Youngjae muttered. "Zelo was created using the best technology available on Mato Planet, there's no way his system should override in any way ... and he doesn't even remember his mission, he only remembers YOU, Lina ..."

"Why is everyone ignoring me?" Zelo wailed cutely. "Hyungs are all being mean! I wanna switch Generals! Lina noona, Lina noona, they're bullying me! Don't read them bedtime stories anymore!"

"Yongguk is trying to figure out what happened with the Governor," Himchan explained quickly. "The second Zelo woke up, he seemed to be acting normally as usual, and we were prepared to deal with his memory loss in time ... but then he suddenly snapped and said 'Lina noona' and ran out of the house."

"Zelo, look at me!" Youngjae demanded, forcing the complaining robot to look him in the eye. "How do you know Lina? What do you remember about her?"

"What are you talking about?" Zelo yelped, struggling to free himself from Himchan and Youngjae's collective grip. "Lina noona is Lina noona! I remembered her from the Ar ... my ..." A curious and confused expression went over him. "No, that's not right ... noona is an earthling, she's not from the Army ... or Mato Planet ... so why ..."

He looked around, looking bewildered and almost frightened. "Am I on Earth? How ... how come I don't remember? And how do I know Lina noona?"

"Focus, Zelo!" Youngjae said sharply. "Look into yourself! How do you know Lina?"

"I ... I ... I don't know!" Tears started to fill Zelo's eyes. "I just k-knew her! I remembered her face, and her voice, and her smile, and I remember her cooking for us and reading us stories and tucking us in at night! I don't remember where or when or how I knew, I just ... did."

Youngjae's mind went racing. Could it be ... that Zelo's strong feelings for Lina managed to break through the Restart code? How is that possible? As aliens who lived in an Army our entire lives, we shouldn't even feel these kinds of emotions, and if we did, they shouldn't be strong enough to break through our technology or sense of duty ... how did Zelo do it? Or, more importantly, how did LINA do it?

Zelo finally managed to push them away and hugged you again, nearly throwing you off your feet. "Noona, I'm so confused! I don't know what's going on! I don't know where I am or how I got here ... I just remember you. Why?"

"I-I don't know, Zelo," you stammered, hesitantly patting his curly blonde hair in an effort to calm him down. "But listen, you can't be here, alright? I have school for about six hours, and then I'll go home. Can you go back with Himchan and stay there until I come back? I'll ... I'll buy you some cherry tomatoes, alright? Cherry tomatoes."

"What are those?" Zelo sniffled, clutching at your uniform shirt. "They sound tasty ... and I THINK I like them ... but I can't remember ... have I had them before?"

"Yes, yes you have, Zelo." You said softly, feeling a strange sense of loss inside. Zelo may have managed to remember you from a of luck, but he didn't remember any of the adventures he's had with you and the rest of B.A.P on Earth. It was like they never happened.

"Come on, brat," Himchan sighed without much conviction. "Yongguk's probably going frantic. We'll go home and wait for Lina, okay?"

Zelo nodded, looking sad and lost. "Come home soon, okay, noona?"

"I will. See you, Zelo. And Himchan ... make sure he doesn't run off again."

Himchan gave you a bright, but rather tired smile, as he led Zelo away from the school.

You and Youngjae watched them go. 

"We're going to be in so much trouble," you sighed.

"Don't worry about it," Youngjae said with a grin. "Trust me, I can fix this."

"I doubt it."


When lunchtime came, you instructed Youngjae to find the others and bring them to the cafeteria while you went to buy lunch. You stood in line, waiting for them to come.

A sudden pat on your shoulder made you turn around. Hyoju and Jisu were there, beaming and looking ridiculously pleased.

"We heard the rumours, Blondie! Some kid broke a window and, like, busted into your classroom!" Hyoju grinned. "That's beyond badass. How come my brothers never, like, did anything cool like that?"

"Are they more transfers?" Jisu demanded, not waiting for you to answer. "Awesome, this school could, like, do with something interesting. TS is, like, so boring since we aren't really in Seoul."

"Hey, you two! Get over here!" Someone yelled from the crowd of students.

"We gotta go," Hyoju said. "If your friends aren't coming, come sit with us, alright?"

"Catch ya later, Blondie!" Jisu called out as they ran off.

You waved back at them with a small smile. At least SOMEONE found Zelo's break-in amusing. All of your classmates kept giving you weird looks and kept on whispering to each other when they thought you weren't looking.

Finally, you got your lunch and made your way to a free table. You sat there and waited nervously for the aliens to arrive. What was taking them so long? You felt self-conscious and exposed when you sat there completely alone.

Finally, you saw Jongup appear. He looked shy and nervous as usual. A few girls giggled and waved him over, inviting him to join their table. Jongup shook his head, looking terrified. 

You sighed and held out your arm. "Jongup, here! I'm here!"

You didn't speak particularly loud, and your voice was definitely drowned out by the shouts and loud chatter of all the other TS High students in the cafeteria, but you knew Jongup would hear you with those super alien sensors of his. You wished you had some of those, it would do you good.

Jongup's eyes widened and he gave one of those bright, shy smiles of his. He instantly walked across the cafeteria towards you, ignoring any other invitations for him to join other tables. He was walking a bit too fast for normal earthlings -- humans, you corrected yourself (those stupid aliens were getting to you) -- but no one noticed.

"Lina," he whispered happily as he sat down across from you. "All these ... earthlings are so scary. Especially the female ones. I don't like it. It's scary here!"

"Oh, don't be like that, Jongup," you said in exasperation, although as usual you couldn't bring it to yourself to ever be mad at this shy alien. "You wanted to go to my school, after all. Besides, not all the girls are like that. Why don't you try being friends with some of the ... er ... NOT-scary earthlings?"

Jongup blinked and considered that. "Okay."

"There we go," you said, relieved to have at least ONE problem you could actually solve. "Where are the others? What's taking them so long?"

"Dunno ... I think I saw some female earthlings cornering Daehyun hyung. They were trying to get him to speak, or to take off his mask. I forgot which."

"Serves him right for being so annoying," you muttered peevishly under your breath. "Oh, here, I made sure to get extra food. Have some if you'd like, Jongup. I bet you're hungry."

"A little," he admitted.

You heard several people whispering and giggling excitedly, and you looked up, already expecting who it was. "Oh, they're finally here. Attracting attention, as usual."

Jongup noticed through your voice that you were annoyed about something, and wisely decided not to say anything about it. He may be the one alien you couldn't get mad at, but he wasn't risking any chances.

Youngjae and Daehyun instantly spotted you and made a beeline towards your table. A few girls from an older grade stopped them and attempted to get them to sit with them instead.

"Sorry," Youngjae said with a charming smile that you noticed lacked any real warmth. "We already have plans."

Daehyun didn't say anything. Ignoring everyone, he kept on walking until he was sitting next to you.

Youngjae sat next to Jongup, and without even asking he immediately grabbed some of your food.

"You could be a little nicer to them, you know." You said reproachfully. "I mean, they're just being girls who are attracted to guys. You don't have to brush them off like they're ... flies, or something."

"They annoy me," Youngjae said simply. Daehyun nodded.

"You aren't going to eat?" You asked him. He shook his head. 

"Let me guess -- there's too many people around, and you don't want to take off your mask. Being annoying as usual, I see."

Daehyun smirked.

"So, Youngjae, did you tell them about Zelo yet?"

"What happened?" Jongup asked, his eyes widened. Daehyun's attention focused and he stared straight at Youngjae intensely.

"Calm down, you two," Youngjae said, chewing his food carefully and swallowing. "Something weird happened. They had to restart Zelo to get rid of the virus, but he somehow managed to work his emotions through the Memory processor and remember who Lina is."

Jongup and Daehyun instantly turned to stare at you in unison. You felt your cheeks turn warm from the attention. "Stop staring at me like that! And it isn't really a big deal ... is it?"

"You don't understand how advanced technology is on Mato Planet, Lina," Youngjae whispered. "It ... it's beyond earthling capabilities. Your own technology won't catch up to ours for ... another three hundred years, I'd say."

"Three hundred and seventy-eight, actually," Youngjae the Brain had to say.

You almost choked on that information. Mato Planet's technology surpassed Earth's by almost four hundred years! You remembered their strange laptop. While it LOOKED normal enough, it managed to connect with a planet that could be several lightyears away from Earth, and it managed to infect a robot alien with a simple computer virus and almost cause him to turn evil.

Not to mention the alien boys probably arrived here on a spaceship.

You wondered what other amazing things the Mato aliens have created. Judging from the fact that all aliens grew up in the Army, they probably mass-produced laser guns ... or ... or anti-gravity bullets, or nuclear bombs that could destroy an entire country ...

"Wait a second!" You suddenly said. "You guys came to Earth to take us over, right? Why can't you just use your advanced alien technology and blast us all to ashes? From what I can see, we earth -- humans probably couldn't do anything to stop you either."

"We may be aliens, but we're not murderers," Youngjae said, looking insulted. "Well ... not all of us, anyway. Consider it a good thing that Yongguk and Zelo like you so much."

"Mato Planet's most cold-hearted and ruthless killer ... and his very own fighter robot that obeys every word he says ..." Jongup shivered. "If they were serious about taking over Earth, they wouldn't even need our help."

Daehyun nodded seriously. You don't get it, Lina. We don't want to take over Earth simply for war's sake. We need to find a way to save our own planet ... and for that, rather than killing all the earthlings, we need to observe their behaviour and how they manage to survive ... well, then again, I doubt Earth is under control of the Company either ...

"Daehyun, are you okay?" You suddenly said, breaking through his brooding thoughts. "You looked ... mad for a second. Is everything alright?"

Daehyun took a deep breath and nodded. It wouldn't do any good to go into one of his moody fits with you watching ...

"Don't worry about him," Youngjae said lazily. "He's probably obsessing over the Company again."

Daehyun glared at him.

"What's the Company?" You frowned. It was such a simple name ... yet when you heard it, it sent weird shivers through your body.

"The current Government party," Youngjae scowled, a dark look appearing over his face. "We used to be a monarchy before our last King suddenly disappeared. Rumours say that he was caught doing some sort of unforgivable deed and was sentenced to death, others say he was being targeted by rogue assassins and enemy aliens from other planets and was forced into hiding ... either way, the Company came into power for seemingly no reason at all ... and ever since then ..."

Youngjae suddenly gripped his fork so hard the metal bent. You stared in horror as the fork twisted like it was made of rubber.

"Whoops." Youngjae looked down and quickly straightened out the fork as if it was no big deal. "I hope no one saw that."

Their strength never failed to surprise you.

"Ever since the Company came to power, our planet started to die," Jongup explained, since it looked like both Youngjae and Daehyun were too furious to say anything else. "And our mission was given to us by the Governor. Against the law and without telling anybody about it, she sent us here to Earth -- the only other planet who has the capabilities to learn like us -- to find another source of energy and save Mato Planet."

"We don't want to KILL anybody or DESTROY anything," Youngjae muttered. "Just an added precaution. All we want is to save our home."

Daehyun nodded silently, clenching his hands into fists so he wouldn't destroy the tableware like Youngjae just did.

You noticed the heavy and tense atmosphere surrounding them and struggled to find a way to distract them from their thoughts. "Ah ... h-hey! Maybe we should go to the amusement park over the weekend!"

"Huh?" It seemed to work. They all snapped out of their thoughts and looked at you.

"You know, with roller coasters and merry go rounds and cotton candy. It'll be fun!" You tried to make your voice as cheerful as possible, and you gave them all big smiles. "It'll be really fun! Let's go, please? On the weekend!"

Daehyun's eyes softened as he realized what you were trying to do. He smiled behind his mask and nodded once more.

"Seems fine," Youngjae huffed. "I would like to examine the machinery used to make these 'roller coaster' rides."

"If Lina wants to go, I'll go too," Jongup smiled.

You managed to successfully take away all thoughts of their dying planet and the Company out of their minds, but it was stuck in yours. You shook away those thoughts and decided to wait until later, when you had time. You'll think over all this new information and decide what to do then.